Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey 2023-2024 Season Thread - End Of The Cellar-Dweller Era??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post
    So that ink on MS7's new contract must still be wet, eh ? :-) (good job beating those weasels)
    Not now, I hope it has disappeared after today's game.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Well sure he had a great game but how many times did we shoot at his chest? Made him look too good...not saying we didn't have our chances...he got the job done.

And don't get me going about the PP.
      There were a lot of chances we shot into the chest or the glove but that is also good goaltending. You watch Jakob vs Moose and the difference is squaring up to the shooter. the cross ice pass that Jakob is square while Moose is trying for a split and its above the pad.

Comment

We are already 16th in PWR...this split was very costly. Another one could be fatal to NCAA chances unless I'm just dreamin'.
        We also squandered one of our games in hand to move up in the HEA standings to facilitate a trip to the Garden.

Comment

• Back from my hiatus and it is stats time after I get through my complaints. Our PP is dreadful. Five-minute majors, you need a goal. Just 1. The BU game and tonight was lost on the inability to capitalize, especially within 4 minutes of the start you have that chance. Too much passing and fancy stuff. I will try to get video but watching the replay tonight there was a moment on the PP where there were 4 UConn guys from below the hash marks and you can see I think 2 UNH players.

Is it Jeff or Glen who does defense? Someone needs to get them a message that on a 2 on 1 the defender needs to take the pass away but at some point make a move, you can't let the shooter get deep (video to follow).

Now for the stats:
          PP: 22.37% (19th)
          PK: 77.94% (43rd) This was 1 before the Maine game.

Brenden Fitzgerald: 27 minutes in penalties. 3 points. With a minus 3, which is the 2nd worst on the team. FYI this is 15% of all PIM for the team.
          Jack Babbage: 0 minutes in penalties. 5 points. With a +5.

Why? That is, it. I would take a guy who stays out of the box, scores, and has a plus. Whoever watches this board for MS7, please explain this to me. Maybe there is upside but play the guy who does not kill you.

If Hellsten was not in goal the past 3 games, including Friday's blowout this team would be getting killed.

If you get a win and tie in VT I think it is successful.

Projections

@ VT: Win and tie
          BU: Loss
          Merrimack: Win
          BC: Loss
          @ Merrimack: Loss
          Maine: Tie and Loss
          @ Umass: Loss
          Umass: Tie
          @BC: Loss
          @ Lowell : Loss
          Lowell: Win

That is 8-12-3 by my math.

Will be around 7th, outside top 13 in PWR to guarantee a spot in a regional and need help to get in.

AD Rich was there tonight, hopefully it was an awakening.

And thankfully I did not see Governor Lay-off in the stands while watching maintenance fix the elevator. Can we do a combined parade for him and Dictator Dean to send them on their way?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

We also squandered one of our games in hand to move up in the HEA standings to facilitate a trip to the Garden.
            Which really is a huge disappointment. Just handed it to UConn...You come into a game like this with an intense readiness. Fully knowing the other team isn't going to be embarrassed like the other night.

I better not read "we were not prepared" or some other BS in today's UL about the game (Disclaimer I only subscribe during hockey season ha!)....

UConn in 4th...Wildcats in 7th. And if we are still ranked it will be a miracle...

I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by norbert View Post
              Back from my hiatus and it is stats time after I get through my complaints. Our PP is dreadful. Five-minute majors, you need a goal. Just 1. The BU game and tonight was lost on the inability to capitalize, especially within 4 minutes of the start you have that chance. Too much passing and fancy stuff. I will try to get video but watching the replay tonight there was a moment on the PP where there were 4 UConn guys from below the hash marks and you can see I think 2 UNH players.

Is it Jeff or Glen who does defense? Someone needs to get them a message that on a 2 on 1 the defender needs to take the pass away but at some point make a move, you can't let the shooter get deep (video to follow).

Now for the stats:
              PP: 22.37% (19th)
              PK: 77.94% (43rd) This was 1 before the Maine game.

Brenden Fitzgerald: 27 minutes in penalties. 3 points. With a minus 3, which is the 2nd worst on the team. FYI this is 15% of all PIM for the team.
              Jack Babbage: 0 minutes in penalties. 5 points. With a +5.

Why? That is, it. I would take a guy who stays out of the box, scores, and has a plus. Whoever watches this board for MS7, please explain this to me. Maybe there is upside but play the guy who does not kill you.

If Hellsten was not in goal the past 3 games, including Friday's blowout this team would be getting killed.

If you get a win and tie in VT I think it is successful.

Projections

@ VT: Win and tie
              BU: Loss
              Merrimack: Win
              @ Merrimack: Loss
              Maine: Tie and Loss
              @ Umass: Loss
              Umass: Tie
              @BC: Loss
              @ Lowell : Loss
              Lowell: Win

That is 8-12-3 by my math.

Will be around 7th, outside top 13 in PWR to guarantee a spot in a regional and need help to get in.

AD Rich was there tonight, hopefully it was an awakening.

And thankfully I did not see Governor Lay-off in the stands while watching maintenance fix the elevator. Can we do a combined parade for him and Dictator Dean to send them on their way?
              +1 on all counts...

Comment

• Originally posted by norbert View Post

There were a lot of chances we shot into the chest or the glove but that is also good goaltending. You watch Jakob vs Moose and the difference is squaring up to the shooter. the cross ice pass that Jakob is square while Moose is trying for a split and its above the pad.
                Ok fair enough but tell me how many of those were basically taken from the perimeter? Alot of them. To give their 'tender credit he played very well esp when it got in tight...where it mattered.

Mostly tho? I felt we looked nothing like the team (well almost nothing) who can score some dirty goals. We made it look easy for him is what I'm saying.

Ok gotta shake this off and steel myself for this coming weekends trek to Burlington...(only Sat) Some of us never learn. Sigh...

Comment

• Unfortunately water seeks its own level, that's what we are seeing here. It will only become more apparent as conference play grinds on.
                  GO BLUE!

Comment

• I have a (slightly) more optimistic outlook for the remainder of our games this Winter, but you just know that unless UNH runs the table from here on out, last night's very winnable 2-1 loss is gonna be the one to stick in our craw when it comes to the final HEA standings, PWR, and what seems to be a fleeting chance at the national tourney, which may now be on life support ...

norbert's projections/WIS "all in" take

@ VT: Win and tie Two wins
                    BU: Loss Loss
                    Merrimack: Win Win
                    BC: Loss Tie
                    @ Merrimack: Loss Win
                    Maine: Tie and Loss Loss and win
                    @ Umass: Loss Tie
                    Umass: Tie Win
                    BC: Loss Loss
                    @BC: Loss Win
                    @ Lowell : Loss Loss
                    Lowell: Win Win

Even with my more optimistic take on the run-out ... this probably has UNH on the cusp of a MBPBEGAM bye (fifth and above), and slightly less likely to have a home ice berth in the HEA Quarters (fourth and above), which is gonna make it that much more difficult to get to Boston for the first time in like forever. And if there is no Boston, there is no NCAA berth. Simple as. And even if there is a trip to Boston, thru one or two rounds of qualifiers, UNH is probably gonna have to win the HEA Tourney to snag the NCAA autobid, as their PWR will probably be kind of right where it is now, i.e. too high and just over the cut line.

So losing at home to a mediocre UConn team that you pasted two days ago in their own barn is really a bad, bad loss for this team. In short, UNH is gonna have to win ALL of their winnable games, and some of their projected losses, to get to where they (we) hope to get. At least 4 wins in the 3 weekends before UMaine is a must and is doable - especially considering BU and BC will be in the midst of their Beanpot competition during those games. If any ground is lost against our border rivals, UNH will have to make it up against UMass, which is doable. Getting something out of the BC home-and-home is crucial, and one can only hope a home-and-home sweep against Lowell is gonna be needed, because I don't think a young UNH team is capable of pulling that off against a Bazin team.

It's fun that we're at least having these discussions again, but if Coach wants to keep his job, last night might be one that leaves a mark ...
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      I have a (slightly) more optimistic outlook for the remainder of our games this Winter, but you just know that unless UNH runs the table from here on out, last night's very winnable 2-1 loss is gonna be the one to stick in our craw when it comes to the final HEA standings, PWR, and what seems to be a fleeting chance at the national tourney, which may now be on life support ...

norbert's projections/WIS "all in" take

@ VT: Win and tie Two wins
                      BU: Loss Loss
                      Merrimack: Win Win
                      BC: Loss Tie
                      @ Merrimack: Loss Win
                      Maine: Tie and Loss Loss and win
                      @ Umass: Loss Tie
                      Umass: Tie Win
                      BC: Loss Loss
                      @BC: Loss Win
                      @ Lowell : Loss Loss
                      Lowell: Win Win

Even with my more optimistic take on the run-out ... this probably has UNH on the cusp of a MBPBEGAM bye (fifth and above), and slightly less likely to have a home ice berth in the HEA Quarters (fourth and above), which is gonna make it that much more difficult to get to Boston for the first time in like forever. And if there is no Boston, there is no NCAA berth. Simple as. And even if there is a trip to Boston, thru one or two rounds of qualifiers, UNH is probably gonna have to win the HEA Tourney to snag the NCAA autobid, as their PWR will probably be kind of right where it is now, i.e. too high and just over the cut line.

So losing at home to a mediocre UConn team that you pasted two days ago in their own barn is really a bad, bad loss for this team. In short, UNH is gonna have to win ALL of their winnable games, and some of their projected losses, to get to where they (we) hope to get. At least 4 wins in the 3 weekends before UMaine is a must and is doable - especially considering BU and BC will be in the midst of their Beanpot competition during those games. If any ground is lost against our border rivals, UNH will have to make it up against UMass, which is doable. Getting something out of the BC home-and-home is crucial, and one can only hope a home-and-home sweep against Lowell is gonna be needed, because I don't think a young UNH team is capable of pulling that off against a Bazin team.

It's fun that we're at least having these discussions again, but if Coach wants to keep his job, last night might be one that leaves a mark ...
                      ....so in reading the article about the game it was noted that UNH will win games if they continue to play as hard as they did last night. No doubt the boys played hard I mean,
                      I didn't feel it was a lack of effort. And of course credit to the goalie was given (which I've already posted my feelings about that.) I'd agree we didn't get a bounce here and there, and as the Captain said in the article "we had our chances".

Ok so that all said, Chuck I highlighted your Bazin comments. I haven't read any of his commentary this season but when I have read them, he's always straight up about
                      what / how the team played. I remember one loss they had where he was asked "what happened" and his reply was "the answer is in that locker room". No coach should/ wants to throw their team under the bus, but it's at least...an honest reflection.

Ps...sometimes it gets lost on me that this is a young team. I need to remember this. Hopefully...Ryan Conmy is ok; Mr. HR felt he wasn't the same player when he
                      came back into the game. It's not lost on me how much Jakob Hellsten has meant to this team.
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-22-2024, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• Still hanging in the top 20 with recent uscho coaches poll...17th.

Comment

Ok gotta shake this off and steel myself for this coming weekends trek to Burlington...(only Sat) Some of us never learn. Sigh...
                          You always make me chuckle and then check myself.

UNH's all time record against Vermont 83-31-11. Historically Durham, Burlington, well anywhere UNH has not had a problem with those other cats. Now it took me some digging to find that number, on unhwildcats.com (see next note).

unhwildcats.com publishes the record, and some other stats from 2009-2023 of 17-15-8. Recent history is we are just over .500 making your quote make sense. Side question: who picked 14 years? I can pick spots in time too, like the last 10 or 20 or etc. years, how about since UVM joined Hockey East for the 2005-2006 season, how about all time? Just why since 2009?

CHN has it back to 1986-1987 (with a note they are still a work in progress) 45-24-11
                          Before 1986 .844
                          1986-2009 .737
                          2009-Present .525
                          ugh, just another reminder of how ugly the end of Umile and all the Souza years have been
                          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post

You always make me chuckle and then check myself.

UNH's all time record against Vermont 83-31-11. Historically Durham, Burlington, well anywhere UNH has not had a problem with those other cats. Now it took me some digging to find that number, on unhwildcats.com (see next note).

unhwildcats.com publishes the record, and some other stats from 2009-2023 of 17-15-8. Recent history is we are just over .500 making your quote make sense. Side question: who picked 14 years? I can pick spots in time too, like the last 10 or 20 or etc. years, how about since UVM joined Hockey East for the 2005-2006 season, how about all time? Just why since 2009?

CHN has it back to 1986-1987 (with a note they are still a work in progress) 45-24-11
                            Before 1986 .844
                            1986-2009 .737
                            2009-Present .525
                            ugh, just another reminder of how ugly the end of Umile and all the Souza years have been
                            How about a time when any current players played against each other?

Comment

Hopefully...Ryan Conmy is ok; Mr. HR felt he wasn't the same player when he
                              came back into the game.
                              Agree on both accounts, he wasn't as dynamic after with kneeing. Hopefully him coming back is a sign of a nasty bruise and they don't find more as the week goes on.

Also where was Stiven Sardarian all weekend? Hopefully he isn't out too long, he has been a nice presence this year

As to the UCONN game yesterday some general thoughts:

1) What the heck is up with that Power Play. UGH just ugly. I noted on one PP in the 3rd there were 5 UNH players around the parameter and 4 UCONN players in a box, and somebody took a (completely stupid) shot from the blue line. Nobody was even headed to the net. Hit the goalie in the chest, he controlled the rebound and UCONN cleared. It is getting to the point where UNH needs to see if they can decline a penalty because the PP is that bad right now. And when I watch the current plan looks bad too, 3 guys high, somebody in the "bumper" every so often and basically never used, somebody small down front but not really screening or really in a good place for a rebound.
                              2) 44 shots, yeah for winning SOG (I hate this nonsense, SOG is a mostly useless stat, see this game), would love to see an NBA style shot chart. I would bet 35+ of those were from long range. UCONN goalie played well, stayed square etc. BUT he wasn't really tested either. Might be the easiest 43 save game he will ever play. One goalie he game up... wait for it, nice shot top corner from down low
                              3) see #2 & #3, early this year I was impressed that this team was scoring regularly down low, near the crease. I wondered if it would last. Well they certainly didn't have that on Sunday.
                              4) UCONN was very chippy from the start. I don't like to watch this style hockey, BUT many refs think that is "playoff hockey" (vomit). What UNH just showed is they don't play big enough for playoff hockey and they need to learn in a hurry
                              5) That quick whistle no goal, meh. The only replays I saw the goalies glove came down on the puck, and the UNH player jammed the glove. There were no replays the showed the puck loose between his legs etc. IF it was under his glove, it is a good whistle and no goal.
                              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by StillKIA2 View Post

How about a time when any current players played against each other?
                                ???

UNH is a young team with lots of Freshman / new players contributing so there isn't any relevant stats until after this weekend. UNH won 11 of 35 games last year and 12 of 20 so far this year.

So what time frame are you going to pick last 3 years and how many players would that apply to?

P.S. digging this stuff out is a pain in the rear end, so feel free to look it up on USCHO

Comment

Working...
                                X