Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey 2023-2024 Season Thread - End Of The Cellar-Dweller Era??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    To me, Mike MacMahon’s blog post wreaks of the same stench as must the dead fish that is tossed in front of the opposing net after UNH’s first goal at the Whitt. Likewise, a custodian needs to use a metaphorical shovel to rid MacMahon’s writing from the blogosphere. I, for one, will never read another word that MacMahon writes. :-)
    oh my tell us how you really feel Snives! And to think I was complimentary to it haha. Like I've already said its pretty interesting to see these kinds of posts show up,
    esp at this juncture when we are really gonna find out what we are made of...

    Fish 1
    McMahon 0
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-13-2024, 11:37 AM.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

    Comment


    • Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      On another note interesting to watch Maine totally dismantle Yukon last night after being down by 3. Now there's a coaching success story right there in Ben
      Barr. Maine fans have got to be happy-whether or not he stays long term will be interesting but for now, they are the real deal.
      Damn right we're happy.....Ben Barr....Nadeau Bros.....$208 million in athletic facility improvements ($46 million renovation to Alfond/Shawn Walsh Center just approved).....yup things are pretty rosy in Orono right now.

      Comment


      • One HEA upset win already in this afternoon, with Maine losing to Yukon and dropping a slot in the PWR; need another upset at Agganis this evening.

        Comment


        • Decent first would have liked to score on the man advantage. Knocking at the door big saves by both goal tenders...

          SoG UNH 18 BU 8

          Nasty major penalty..

          Go 'Cats!
          I'm just here for the hockey...

          Comment


          • Cats now 14th in PWR, the last NCAA postseason slot given two slots needed for AHA and CCHA autoseeds.

            EDIT: and now back to 12th in PWR with NU upset win tonight. Four out of five HEA games were won by the underdog tonight.
            Last edited by Snively65; 01-13-2024, 09:08 PM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Cats now 14th in PWR, the last NCAA postseason slot given two slots needed for AHA and CCHA autoseeds.

              EDIT: and now back to 12th in PWR with NU upset win tonight. Four out of five HEA games were won by the underdog tonight.
              Wish we could have been the 5th! One of the better games I've seen at the Agganis. Missed Morgan Winters.
              Lots of opps...one unfortunate mistake made the difference. Def a "goal tenders duel" (stole that lol)

              Was pleased with the play it was a great game to see
              live. Thanks NU for the PWR help..

              Onto Yukon...
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-14-2024, 07:56 AM.
              I'm just here for the hockey...

              Comment


              • I didn't see the entire game, but did see some great saves by both goal tenders. Good loss if there is such a thing. (There isn't). The wheels didn't fall off, except Hellsten's for about 5 seconds. The timeout immediately after was one of the best Coach Souza has ever called. Loss was NOT on Hellsten. Can't win if you can't score. Losing to #2, now #1 doesn't hurt the PWR. Need better results in the next four games. The BU rubber match in a few weeks should be a good one.
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by e.cat View Post

                  Agree on the uni’s.

                  Hellsten stands on his head as BU wins the SOG battle but UNH wins the game 4-2 with an ENG.
                  Got the Hellsten stands on his head part right (for the most part). Got the part about the team that wins the SOG battle loses the game part right. Got the ENG part right. Got the team who wins part wrong and the score wrong. So I got 3 out of a possible 5 points. Don’t question my logic;-)
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Decent first would have liked to score on the man advantage. Knocking at the door big saves by both goal tenders...

                    SoG UNH 18 BU 8

                    Nasty major penalty..

                    Go 'Cats!
                    The best part of the major was that Quinn Hudson had some kind of argument. I’ve never seen a spear like that in about 40 years of watching ncaa hockey.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by StillKIA2 View Post

                      The best part of the major was that Quinn Hudson had some kind of argument. I’ve never seen a spear like that in about 40 years of watching ncaa hockey.
                      Worst part of the major was where he hit him..dead center in the chest. We were sitting directly in front...sure players are protected but that stuff can be lethal. Hutson deserves a suspension imho...
                      I'm just here for the hockey...

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Darius View Post
                        I didn't see the entire game, but did see some great saves by both goal tenders. Good loss if there is such a thing. (There isn't). The wheels didn't fall off, except Hellsten's for about 5 seconds. The timeout immediately after was one of the best Coach Souza has ever called. Loss was NOT on Hellsten. Can't win if you can't score. Losing to #2, now #1 doesn't hurt the PWR. Need better results in the next four games. The BU rubber match in a few weeks should be a good one.
                        I don't think anyone is blaming Hellsten he (and Caron) played great games. Stuff happens and you'd rather not have a display in big games (2015 NC comes to mind!!)

                        But yeah..you can't win if you don't score. Hopefully Winters is back for Yukon...
                        I'm just here for the hockey...

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Dan View Post

                          Translation. UNH should expect no better than the top 33-40% of NCAA Hockey. Trash.

                          That’s a finish, by the way, that Souza has yet to realize in any of his six seasons as HC, or nine seasons on the UNH staff. UNH's best finish in his entire tenure was 31st. To put it another way he has NEVER been a part of a UNH coaching staff that has finished in the top-half of college hockey (or higher than 8th in Hockey East). In a decade!

                          Yet in MM's eyes, Souza has already earned an extension, due to a pretty good stretch in his last 17-games…? And a potential, maybe, down the road Top-25 PWR finish?

                          How can you argue otherwise?

                          GTFOH.
                          The fundamental flaw in the idea that Souza is as good as UNH deserves is that the idea is completely backwards. The head coach position at UNH is the best job Mike Souza can possibly get (in my opinion) with his anemic record over a 10 year coaching career.

                          AD Rich is negotiating from the position of strength, and it appears that to this point she realizes that by making him wait out the end of the season. If the strength of this season continues to the finish a 1-2 year prove it extension is acceptable, nothing more, Souza has no argument to try to strong arm Rich into anything she is not comfortable with. Unless he is personally pulling in millions I’m donor money himself I don’t see anything he has over her head.
                          Last edited by deltabravo62; 01-14-2024, 01:35 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Isn’t the saying people don’t leave bad jobs they leave bad bosses? If the AD didn’t rate Souza she should have fired him last spring. To leave someone twisting in the wind is disgraceful and something no coach deserves. If I was him I would line up something else and unless presented with a good offer tell her to go pound sand. Not that being head coach isn’t a good job but it’s not like he’s making millions of dollars a year and if it isn’t going to work out there he might as well start rebuilding his career elsewhere.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              Isn’t the saying people don’t leave bad jobs they leave bad bosses? If the AD didn’t rate Souza she should have fired him last spring. To leave someone twisting in the wind is disgraceful and something no coach deserves. If I was him I would line up something else and unless presented with a good offer tell her to go pound sand. Not that being head coach isn’t a good job but it’s not like he’s making millions of dollars a year and if it isn’t going to work out there he might as well start rebuilding his career elsewhere.
                              I mean, that is a saying, however this is D1 college athletics and not Howie the mailroom guy. Job performance matters and short of the first half of this season there has been little to no performance. I doubt Melrose High School is offering a package competitive to UNH.
                              ​​​

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                Isn’t the saying people don’t leave bad jobs they leave bad bosses? If the AD didn’t rate Souza she should have fired him last spring. To leave someone twisting in the wind is disgraceful and something no coach deserves. If I was him I would line up something else and unless presented with a good offer tell her to go pound sand. Not that being head coach isn’t a good job but it’s not like he’s making millions of dollars a year and if it isn’t going to work out there he might as well start rebuilding his career elsewhere.
                                There was speculation on our thread last spring that the AD or the administration did not want to cough up the $230,00 to buy out the last year of Souza’s contract. That kind of money might be just chump change for the Alfond-endowed U Maine, but it is lot of moola for Cow Hampsha’s State U. My guess is that Souza got a message last spring that there needs to be a big turn-around in the team’s fortunes this year, and so far, so good. If the Cats go 8-8-0 the rest of the way, that would give us a 19-14-1 record, pre-MBPBEGAM game, Souza’s first winning record as HC. The question is whether Souza is worthy of even a one-year contract extension without improving on that record with a trip to the Garden or a NCAA regional. There is still plenty of time for Souza to build his case, and I for one think that Mike MacMahon is way out to lunch for suggesting otherwise. I think that Al Pike got it correct in his article. I agree with you that Souza should be looking at alternative career paths forward, as should all at will employees without lifetime contracts like his mentor had.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X