Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey 2023-2024 Season Thread - End Of The Cellar-Dweller Era??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Anyone who thinks this is the BU team we faced in the opener I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell ya! Go 'Cats!
    The other side is UNH isn't the same team either. Anything can happen in the first couple of games, for sure. The difference, I think this team has a bit of "believability" on their side now. BUT, they can't dig an early hole, chasing the scoreboard at Agganis is not part of the recipe for success. If they can get out of the first period tied, or at worst down a goal, they'll have a shot. Hopefully they learned something about that up at Alfond.
    GO BLUE!

Comment

• ’cats will not be sneaking up on the Terriers that’s for sure. Big test.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry;n3850970
        [B
        The other side is UNH isn't the same team either[/B]. Anything can happen in the first couple of games, for sure. The difference, I think this team has a bit of "believability" on their side now. BUT, they can't dig an early hole, chasing the scoreboard at Agganis is not part of the recipe for success. If they can get out of the first period tied, or at worst down a goal, they'll have a shot. Hopefully they learned something about that up at Alfond.
        Yes agree...and yup you can't chase the game against a team like this..At the 'after the game event' Saturday the guys that attended are fired up about
        their season and will have to bring that into this game.

Staying out of the box will be critical as BU has some major fire power in the Hutsons, Celibrini and
        a few others. Their goal tender (Caron) and ours have just about the same stats save wise- he's played more games but our guy is #2 and could
        be the difference maker?

That said, looking at some stats over at CHN (and of course not counting SOS) we aren't that far off from them in some areas tho they have more players
        making big contributions points wise. Ryan Conmy is keeping pace and he will obviously be their biggest concern.

Maybe it's gonna be a goal tenders battle? Maybe BU looks past UNH (I highly doubt that) and wouldn't count on that as an in game strategy!

We'll find out! I just want them to compete well and make it a game...and see what happens. I plan on catching their game v NU tonight.

Ps I don't pretend to be a stats sorter so be kind
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
          cats will not be sneaking up on the Terriers that’s for sure. Big test.
          Wanna elaborate on that?

Comment

Not a great track record at the Agganis (HR's fav 'away rink') and I do not think we've won a game there since the 2013-14 season. Think we've tied there once
            since then (Snively you are the stats guy so correct if wrong). And from what I have heard we really don't have a great track record there period. Welp,
            let's see what happens.
            Oddly enough, when Agganis first opened we were their kryptonite at the place. Too bad that didn’t last more than a few seasons. ☹️
            Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Wanna elaborate on that?
              Assuming Darius is referring to the earlier UNH win over BU ... will be tougher for BU to overlook as a result.

I do see that UNH plays both BU and BC in the midst of their Beanpot endeavors. That's usually a good thing, where the focus of those teams is indeed on their BP games the following Monday night.

The bellweather results for me will be next weekend against Luce and UConn. Time to bring the hammer down ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post

Oddly enough, when Agganis first opened we were their kryptonite at the place. Too bad that didn’t last more than a few seasons. ☹️
                Speaking of Agganis Aerman, I’ll never forget getting several mailings to purchase season tickets there prior to it opening. Don’t know where they got my name and address but their crack marketing team were barking up the wrong tree on that one.

UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• FWIW dept BU holds on to beat NU in OT. Great game to watch looking forward to Saturday. (I think)

Comment

I see it as a yearning to participate in something that has been missing for 10 seasons, and of course that is to play in the post season NCAA tournament.
                    UNH is sitting at 11th right now (pairwise), with their biggest push of the season starting Saturday v BU. Big game. Since it seems that UNH tends to play to the level of its
                    competition, this should be a strong indicator of just how this team is doing, IMHO.

Not a great track record at the Agganis (HR's fav 'away rink') and I do not think we've won a game there since the 2013-14 season. Think we've tied there once
                    since then (Snively you are the stats guy so correct if wrong). And from what I have heard we really don't have a great track record there period. Welp,
                    let's see what happens.

Anyone who thinks this is the BU team we faced in the opener I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell ya! Go 'Cats!
                    I think that you are correct about our last win at Agganis dating to the 2012/13 season, a 3-1 victory on November 12th. The previous season we were 1-4-0 at Agganis, with a 2OT win and a 2OT loss in the HEA playoffs. I did not attend any games at Agganis that season and have never seen the Cats win at Agganis, although saw us win a couple of times at Walter Brown. I attended many games at both venues over the years with Bentley colleague who was a BU alum and STH. Last game that I saw at Agganis was with you and your Hubby’s ticket, a 6-3 loss on 13:February 2015 in which we saw first-year players Warren Foegele and Jack Eichel each get a goal.

Here is an interesting statoid: UNH was 10-22-2 hosting BU at Snively Arena between 1965 and 1995. On the rare occasion when we beat BU at Snively in the early 1970’s, the Down Under Pub was rocking until closing time. Speaking of which, Jack and Brick made reference to the Down Under during the Bruins game at the Mullett tonight in which BU alum Clayton Keller got the first Coyote goal. The Mullett has a seating capacity of only 5000, but supposedly cost ASU $140 mil to build, which seems steep to me.

Good thing that we played NU three times earlier in the season when the Huskies stunk. I predict we lose 4-2 at Agganis this weekend (BU gets an ENG) but we get even when we beat them at the Whitt in early February.

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      Speaking of Agganis Aerman, I'll never forget getting several mailings to purchase season tickets there prior to it opening. Don't know where they got my name and address but their crack marketing team were barking up the wrong tree on that one.
                      Not an unusual phenomenon as far as Hockey East programs opening new enlarged facilities are concerned ... recall that when The Whitt was in its final stages of construction, the UNH ticket office - and remember, this was still mostly pre-Internet in '94/'95 - was running regular ads in the Boston newspapers' sports pages AND were reportedly sending mailers out to the season ticket holders of the Eastern MA schools trying to sell partial season ticket packages, presumably so they could ensure that if local demand was found out not to stretch too much beyond the 3,700-ish capacity of the old barn.

I suspect UMass Lowell probably did much the same, seeing that they opened their own new arena (Tsongas) a couple of years later, closing the much smaller Tully Forum in nearby Billerica.

This throwback article touches on the first-ever "White Out The Whitt" extravaganza back in March '99, and Jason Krog's role as captain in sticking around for his senior year. Krog's frosh year was the Whitt's inaugural season, which featured the start of a string of sellout crowds that far exceeded everyone's wildest dreams. It was a rare Umile losing season back then, but as the "new car smell" wore off the new arena, the 'Cats were more than compensating with their first run-up to a spot in the Frozen Four in almost 20 years, keeping all those "extra" seats filled.

http://unhmagazine.unh.edu/sp99/krogpond.html
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Get even?? You already beat BU!

The other day a friend and I were reminiscing about Snively and a BU game up there. We were up on the press ledge (as I liked to call it). And BU's John Lilley got a 5-minute major and UNH scored, like, 3 goals and wound up winning 7-4. Ah, memories.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Not an unusual phenomenon as far as Hockey East programs opening new enlarged facilities are concerned ... recall that when The Whitt was in its final stages of construction, the UNH ticket office - and remember, this was still mostly pre-Internet in '94/'95 - was running regular ads in the Boston newspapers' sports pages AND were reportedly sending mailers out to the season ticket holders of the Eastern MA schools trying to sell partial season ticket packages, presumably so they could ensure that if local demand was found out not to stretch too much beyond the 3,700-ish capacity of the old barn.

I suspect UMass Lowell probably did much the same, seeing that they opened their own new arena (Tsongas) a couple of years later, closing the much smaller Tully Forum in nearby Billerica.

This throwback article touches on the first-ever "White Out The Whitt" extravaganza back in March '99, and Jason Krog's role as captain in sticking around for his senior year. Krog's frosh year was the Whitt's inaugural season, which featured the start of a string of sellout crowds that far exceeded everyone's wildest dreams. It was a rare Umile losing season back then, but as the "new car smell" wore off the new arena, the 'Cats were more than compensating with their first run-up to a spot in the Frozen Four in almost 20 years, keeping all those "extra" seats filled.

http://unhmagazine.unh.edu/sp99/krogpond.html
                          You’re probably right.

I did take in a game at Agganis v. UNH when it opened. Nice arena.
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            Get even?? You already beat BU!

The other day a friend and I were reminiscing about Snively and a BU game up there. We were up on the press ledge (as I liked to call it). And BU's John Lilley got a 5-minute major and UNH scored, like, 3 goals and wound up winning 7-4. Ah, memories.
                            We'd love to beat you in your barn tho...just sayin'. 10 years is a long time! Mr. HR and my twin went to UNH while I went to 'lowly' PSC and I spent a lot of
                            time going to the U to visit them. He swears we went to games at the Snively and I just don't remember...prob a reason for that...ahem. Anyhoo...going Sat and
                            looking forward to it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Get even?? You already beat BU!

Yeah, I am not counting that UNH win as your Terriors were still in shock from barely getting by the Falcons in OT at the Bentley Arena the weekend before.

Comment

• So I am still not all in. This season has been a pleasant surprise and I do wonder if there has been a bit of luck along the way. Getting Quinnipiac and BU both before they had their acts together. Getting NU early, who may still (or maybe not) get their act together. Having a relatively easy stretch while Devlin was injured. That crazy game in Rochester. Lots of home games. etc. NOTE: I do believe that "the harder I work the luckier I get" is true.

I don't think BU right now at Agganis is a fair W vs L evaluation. I think it is more how they play that matters. BU has lost twice since the start of November, is bigger, has a better offense and a better defense and is at home. This is a big test for a program trying to climb back up from the bottom of the league. Would love to see a win. Would like to see a good hard fought game with no quit regardless of the score. Never a find of losing but won't be disappointed coming up on the wrong end of a well played game in this one. Hopeful they learned a lesson at Maine.

I think a better way to look at UNH is to look over the next 4 games all away. If this team is going to keep it going it needs to be no worse than 2-2 and really pushing hard for 3-1. To me it is more important that UNH keeps climbing over / pushing down those around them than getting too worked up over one Friday night in Boston against BU. Would you rather go 1-3 in the next 4 and beat BU or go 3-1?

Just my current line of thinking.
                                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Working...
                                X