Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey 2023-2024 Season Thread - End Of The Cellar-Dweller Era??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by norbert View Post
    Interesting lineup changes tonight. Let’s see if it brings a spark or more of the same.

this needs to be a 5-1/6-2 type of win to bring some life back. Though Sacred Heart beat Army 6-1 so let’s see how that fairs
    well so far going as planned ; -)
    GO BLUE!

Comment

• Checking in from the palace that is Martire Family Arena.
      Very impressive! Cool donut concession which is a plus :-)

Nice to see the 'Cats playing so much better tonight. Like
      Norbert said Siedem and Turner are out there. D much better coordinated.

Doing the stuff they are capable of...Prob the message was a full 60 lets see how the third goes.

I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Norbert impressively nails the 6-2 result. Not an easy pick by any means.

I see Princeton beat Harvard tonight, so no excuses not to have the boys ready next weekend.

Say whatever he will in public, but MS7 has to know now who his best goalie is, especially if he wants to keep his job ...
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Maine #1 in the PairWise and UNH #13. It will be fun if UNH can give them a little humble pie when they come to Durham.
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            Maine #1 in the PairWise and UNH #13. It will be fun if UNH can give them a little humble pie when they come to Durham.
            Revenge is a dish best served cold bwahahaha!
            I'd be happy with splitting that humble pie! Nice to see
            HE representing in the PWR...
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-31-2023, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Revenge is a dish best served cold bwahahaha!
              I'd be happy with splitting that humble pie! Nice to see
              HE representing in the PWR...
              Two wins works for me:/)

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                Two wins works for me:/)
                Well ya!!! Two would be nice Happy New Year!

Comment

Well ya!!! Two would be nice Happy New Year!
                  Happy New Year Ref!

Comment

• Surprised to see UNH sitting at 13 in the Pairwise considering the Army loss. Would have thought it would have more of an impact? On another note, B’s off to a good start against the Wings.
                    GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                      Surprised to see UNH sitting at 13 in the Pairwise considering the Army loss. Would have thought it would have more of an impact? On another note, B’s off to a good start against the Wings.
                      Was thinking the same..wonder how they will do in this week's poll. Obviously PWR is king! No doubt the 'Cats came to play last night cant remeber when we had a 4.goal period.

Let's see what they do this weekend v Princeton.

Comment

• Hope we can climb in the Pairwise this 2nd half of the season. Have missed UNH NCAA tournament games. Was spoiled as a kid/teenager.

Comment

Was thinking the same..wonder how they will do in this week's poll. Obviously PWR is king! No doubt the 'Cats came to play last night cant remeber when we had a 4.goal period.

Let's see what they do this weekend v Princeton.
                          Jakob Hellsten remains in third place of all Div 1 goalies with a 1.86 GAA, 0.01 behind Ian Shane (Cornell) and Kyle McClellan (Wisco) with a 1.62, and ahead of Jake Sibel (St Thomas) with a 1.93 and Vinny Duolessis (Quinnipiac) with a 1.98, the only others with a sub-2.00 GAA. McClelland is also first with a 0.939 SV%, and Sibel is third with a 0.929, Hellsten is 13th with a 0.919, Duplessis 17th with a 0.917, and Shane 25th with a 0.915.

Hellsten’s numbers at Nodak were 7 games, 2.97 GAA, and 0.879 SV% in 2021/22, and 13 games, 2.72, and 0.875 in 2022/23. My guess is that MS7 did not see this kind of improvement coming from junior netminder Hellsten, but if MS7 knows what is best for any chance he has for getting a contract extension in the New Year, he will start Hellsten in both games against Princeton at the Whitt this coming weekend, and in all HEA games in the second half, unless Hellsten’s numbers dramatically drop off, of course. Hellsten and Muszelik are not a par as Ayers and Carney were in the 2001/02 season.

Last edited by Snively65; 01-01-2024, 01:51 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• HR's review of Martire Family Arena:

This is a beautiful building; as you walk up to it you are immediately impressed. Once inside you get the feeling like you are in Disney's "Space Mountain"
                            as it's all lit up entering the main lobby. You take an escalator to get to the ice (or stairs if that's your thing) It's very impressive when you enter the councourse; kind of reminded me
                            of a smaller version of Agganis with the steep seating pattern. With the Pioneer red it's really beautiful.

The video board/tron has a ribbon running above it that give stats during the game which we thought was really cool. The pregame light show gives a good vibe.
                            There's seating around the top of the ice that is ticketed; very tight spaces. Speaking of seats, the general seats are 'small' think Garden seats up above. They have those
                            long plastic extensions for cup holders which we found annoying. Next time we go (if we do) we would sit higher as our sight lines weren't great for the far net tho
                            it was just fine at the net closest to us. Plus if you are not a fan of those steep concrete steps you will want less of that. (mental note to self)

Concessions were found in a couple of places, tho you need to get up there before the period ends very long lines. You can buy beer there and like I mentioned they
                            had a donut concession we hit up. (maybe why I can't sit in those small seats? ha!) Parking: there is a parking garage but we missed it and had to park down the
                            street abit but it wasn't a bad walk.

All in all we had a great experience there and would return being mindful of some of what I mentioned above. Several UNH notable fans were there and
                            I have already seen pleas to get our project up and running so we can have a nice place like this...I believe the cost to build the arena was in the neighborhood
                            of 70 million, which includes state of the art locker/training rooms for athletes.

I also want to mention you could see that UNH was on a mission from the get go...if they can show up like that for the games ahead they will do very well in the
                            second half. Time will tell of course but here's hoping!!

Here's a vid of the place for your viewing pleasure...

Happiest of New Year's to all hockey fanatics out there!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

Jakob Hellsten remains in third place of all Div 1 goalies with a 1.86 GAA, 0.01 behind Ian Shane (Cornell) and Kyle McClellan (Wisco) with a 1.62, and ahead of Jake Sibel (St Thomas) with a 1.93 and Vinny Duolessis (Quinnipiac) with a 1.98, the only others with a sub-2.00 GAA. McClelland is also first with a 0.939 SV%, and Sibel is third with a 0.929, Hellsten is 13th with a 0.919, Duplessis 17th with a 0.917, and Shane 25th with a 0.915.

Hellsten’s numbers at Nodak were 7 games, 2.97 GAA, and 0.879 SV% in 2021/22, and 13 games, 2.72, and 0.875 in 2022/23. My guess is that MS7 did not see this kind of improvement coming from junior netminder Hellsten, but if MS7 knows what is best for any chance he has for getting a contract extension in the New Year, he will start Hellsten in both games against Princeton at the Whitt this coming weekend, and in all HEA games in the second half, unless Hellsten’s numbers dramatically drop off, of course. Hellsten and Muszelik are not a par as Ayers and Carney were in the 2001/02 season.
                              Couldn't agree more that Hellsten should have the net for all games going forward. I'm having a feeling that MS7 will split this weekend though...perhaps looking past
                              Princeton abit (which would be dangerous as we all know). I'm not saying he should split the weekend mind you; just think he will. But, I think he will start him Friday (Hellsten)
                              and see how it goes. When you have a goal tender with his current numbers and your contract is on the line, I don't think you have a choice in the matter??? Unless of
                              course, you are ok with 'cutting your nose off in spite of your face'....if you catch my drift!

Comment

• Originally posted by Basement Bias View Post
                                Hope we can climb in the Pairwise this 2nd half of the season. Have missed UNH NCAA tournament games. Was spoiled as a kid/teenager.
                                I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I was a fan 'back then' when it was pretty much a guarantee that UNH made the NCAA year in, year out lol...
                                Hearing the stories of the good, the bad, and yes, the ugly make me yearn as a fan to experience that (I have only 1 under my belt the last time we were in a Regional
                                2013). Crazy to think it's been that long since they have been there given the 'history'.

It's going to take consistent W's going forward, thing is, do we have what it takes? I hope so!

Comment

Working...
                                X