Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey 2023-2024 Season Thread - End Of The Cellar-Dweller Era??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And then we have this from the RPI thread. Caution SOG content;-)

AspyDad

12-06-2023, 09:07 PM
    Originally posted by sezenackView Post
    You as well. Happy holidays to you and your family! I think we're all aware the defense and goaltending has been bad. Math-wise, it's tough to separate out defensive play vs goaltending, but the math says our goaltending is the worst in the country. Defensive play (without goaltending), we've been bad, but I don't think it's been 5 goals per game bad. Our shots on goal against per game are 5th worst at 36.6, so that could be your answer. Shots on goal aren't always the best statistic to use however. What are your thoughts?

We have for sure been blessed with many quality goaltenders over the years. I think we have to hope that when Watson returns, he plays at the same level as his excellent freshman year.
    I would also note we're 5th worst in the nation in SOG. That shows a lack of puck possession on our part. That's on Dave. If you have the puck they can't score. Watson's not going come in and save this thing...wishing somebody would. I guess we'll have to wait for Kirk. Merry Christmas!
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Excellent post! Also, former UNH undergrad geology major E. Bruce Watson became a world-renown professor at RPI, winning many prestigious international awards. As an aside, Bruce also knew that the depth to the Exetergranodiorite bedrock was too shallow to build an affordable underground parking garage adjacent to the Whitt. :-)
      Biosketch (rpi.edu)

So Snives ... how is it that you've become associated with this illustrious man of geo-science ... classmates at UNH???
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        And then we have this from the RPI thread. Caution SOG content;-)

AspyDad

12-06-2023, 09:07 PM
        Originally posted by sezenackView Post
        You as well. Happy holidays to you and your family! I think we're all aware the defense and goaltending has been bad. Math-wise, it's tough to separate out defensive play vs goaltending, but the math says our goaltending is the worst in the country. Defensive play (without goaltending), we've been bad, but I don't think it's been 5 goals per game bad. Our shots on goal against per game are 5th worst at 36.6, so that could be your answer. Shots on goal aren't always the best statistic to use however. What are your thoughts?

We have for sure been blessed with many quality goaltenders over the years. I think we have to hope that when Watson returns, he plays at the same level as his excellent freshman year.
        I would also note we're 5th worst in the nation in SOG. That shows a lack of puck possession on our part. That's on Dave. If you have the puck they can't score. Watson's not going come in and save this thing...wishing somebody would. I guess we'll have to wait for Kirk. Merry Christmas!
        You’re in for a real treat playing us tomorrow. To say we suck is being nice. We play **** poor defense and have no goaltending which explains the 5+ goals we give up a game. You guys should have no problem beating the balls off us. You should have no issue scoring 6/7 goals on us. Congratulations lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Engineers View Post
          You’re in for a real treat playing us tomorrow. To say we suck is being nice. We play **** poor defense and have no goaltending which explains the 5+ goals we give up a game. You guys should have no problem beating the balls off us. You should have no issue scoring 6/7 goals on us. Congratulations lol
          I just hope that the Cats are not looking past the Engineers to away games with the Atlantic Hockey powerhouses Army and Sacred Heart at the end of the month.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Biosketch (rpi.edu)

So Snives ... how is it that you've become associated with this illustrious man of geo-science ... classmates at UNH???
            Yup. Fortunately Bruce was a year behind me when he transferred to UNH from Williams so I we were not in any of the same classes. But he turned down a summer geology field camp scholarship that fell into my lap, so I will be forever grateful to him for that.

Another UNH undergrad geology major four years behind Bruce was Sam Bowring, perhaps even more famous for his pioneering work in geochronology at MIT that was sadly cut short by brain cancer when he was in his mid-50’s, although his name continues to appear on peer-reviewed publications that were initiated at his MIT lab over a decade ago.

Comment

• Ok here we go. This might be the biggest game of the year. With the performance in the last 3 games the questions are:

1. Is this the team we expected or blip on the radar? A solid performance tomorrow and win entering the break can potentially give momentum.
              2. Who tends the net? I say Moose
              3. Anyone skating post game? I want to challenge Huard to a race. I really think I have a chance. Especially if I tell him its a power play and we start at the blue line. -120 on Norbert

Also for those coming and looking for food, Libby's is opening at 2 tomorrow.

Comment

If UNH beats the balls off of anybody it would be an anomaly;-)

Comment

If UNH beats the balls off of anybody it would be an anomaly;-)
                  Well you’re in luck today. Our coaching staff makes Souza look like the second coming of Jerry York.

Comment

Well you’re in luck today. Our coaching staff makes Souza look like the second coming of Jerry York.
                    LOL. I’ll be watching. Here’s hoping things improve for RPI after today;-)

Comment

LOL. I’ll be watching. Here’s hoping things improve for RPI after today;-)
                      Improvement a few years away. RPI has a great new president and new AD from Boston U. Both are very invested in returning RPI back to a winning program. Previous prez could care less about athletics. Let the program fall apart. When Seth appert was fired Ben Barr wanted the job. They passed on Barr even with being a former player at RPI and went with a guy who had a losing record in Atlantic hockey. It’s worked out well with one winning season in 7 years. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by norbert View Post
                        Ok here we go. This might be the biggest game of the year. With the performance in the last 3 games the questions are:

1. Is this the team we expected or blip on the radar? A solid performance tomorrow and win entering the break can potentially give momentum.
                        2. Who tends the net? I say Moose
                        3. Anyone skating post game? I want to challenge Huard to a race. I really think I have a chance. Especially if I tell him its a power play and we start at the blue line. -120 on Norbert

Also for those coming and looking for food, Libby's is opening at 2 tomorrow.

Sadly I'll moss this one am en route to the big.city via AmTrak to do the Christmas...Mr HR has a bag full of stuffed critters to throw on the ice. Will watch replay on the way home.

To respond to your points I say UNH comes out with guns blazin'. TyMuz gets the nod in net. Lol Go for it with your race with #20!

HR's predict: UNH6 RPI 1

Go 'Catttsssss!! Btw my son applied and was wait listed at RPI. Then it came down to Northeastern v UNH. Glad he chose UNH that deadline morning as I had already written the check to UNH!
                        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Ha!!! Love it...
                          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Improvement a few years away. RPI has a great new president and new AD from Boston U. Both are very invested in returning RPI back to a winning program. Previous prez could care less about athletics. Let the program fall apart. When Seth appert was fired Ben Barr wanted the job. They passed on Barr even with being a former player at RPI and went with a guy who had a losing record in Atlantic hockey. It’s worked out well with one winning season in 7 years. Lol
                            Has worked out pretty well so far in Orono. :-)
                            I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Big mistake letting alum Barr go.

Comment

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post

Has worked out pretty well so far in Orono. :-)
                                To this day it chaps my ***! Talk about an absolutely stupid move. Most RPI fans are still annoyed by it. You have a few enablers who try to justify the garbage that’s going on but most are still perplexed by passing on Barr
                                Last edited by Engineers; 12-09-2023, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X