Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey 2023-2024 Season Thread - End Of The Cellar-Dweller Era??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

I'm trying to remember if it was an issue with Walsh and Umile ?
    Oh yeah, I remember Umile a few times storming off the ice, red faced and pizzed off. And likely giving the refs an earful. Before any handshakes.
    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

I'm trying to remember if it was an issue with Walsh and Umile ?
      That’s a good question Walrus. I don’t know the answer but they certainly had some epic battles so it wouldn’t surprise me.
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post

Oh yeah, I remember Umile a few times storming off the ice, red faced and pizzed off. And likely giving the refs an earful. Before any handshakes.
        I’ve never seen Umile more pizzed than he was with that bum Noeth in Anaheim.
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
          If you asked me two weeks ago about going 0-2-1 in the next three games? Fail. If you asked me yesterday about going 0-2-1 given how we played last week and if we represented in Orono? Pass. Going 0-2-1 given last night’s performance? Epic fail. Giving up the late first, early second period goals? Brutal. Giving up five before answering? Horrible. The timing and nature of the penalties? Terrible. ’cats might as well have gone full turtle, surrendered two more making it 7-2 for old time’s sake. Painfully disappointing to watch.

Putting it in context, it is never easy to win in Orono especially when Maine has lost two in a row. We are tied for third and league standings are tight other than BU. NU beat BC at Conte last night so pretty much anything including playing in the Garden and the NCAAs is still possible. RIT slapped UNH in the face and UNH responded fairly well. Maine punched them in the mouth and they did not. Some get hit and decide they don’t like it. Others figure it wasn’t that bad and they can react better next time. I’ve exited the all in camp and am back with the show me crowd.
          Heck, it's not easy to play in Orono let alone win there, that said, I do remember a beat down with Danny Tirone that was fun! Agree; setting venue aside, UNH had
          to know what was coming at them. I said before this game that it wasn't the result that I was concerned with it was going to be the performance that mattered. And boy oh boy
          that performance...Now some fans are saying that UNH is a 'young team' and Maine is a 'good team' so that was the difference. Not sure if I'm buying that.

Doubt that BC expected to lose to NU (who is coming on as of late) in their barn as you point out. How the 'Cats do in the next one (darn have to miss that) matters alot.
          Or does it given the competition? How they assert / regroup against Rensselaer will be huge- need to win big here or there has to be 'trouble in paradise'. (nothing personal Rensselaer fans)

Yep, show us 'Cats!!
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-02-2023, 01:58 PM.
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

....could it be that UNH is backsliding...I mean 3 games now where against stiff competition and look at the results. Could it be...that nothings changed afterall??? Seems we.cant make adjustments to pressure (our Achilles heel if you ask me)

Serious question...sure we didnt play well last night on many fronts but it looked eerily familiar to what I said about doing well in early season games then BAM...

Oh heck this is just a knee jerk reaction but that game plan or whatever it was concerns me that the ridged style of play I thought they had perhaps shook off has been reinstated? Please tell me I'm wrong...

I can't get the Jaws theme out of my head this morning...
            This was an absolute horrendous performance. The first few minutes Maine was all over UNH and set the tone. I thought maybe scoring first was going to be what was needed, but nope. Giving up a goal with 3.7 left and 23 seconds into the 2nd was an early nail in the coffin. And for all that is holy, can we get Huard off the power play? He got stripped twice at the blue line to give up almost breakaways. And he got smoked where a guy went around him like he was in quicksand.

To Refs point, is this the UNH team we were expecting or is it a bump in the road? Maine is a tough place to play and a win was not expected, but effort was. We will see how they respond Saturday, should be interesting. Guessing practice tomorrow will not be a fun one.

Comment

• A not-so-long-ago vaunted PK suddenly sucks. So my question for the smarter members of this forum: how much difference can one guy make? They’re playing a much more aggressive PK this year, which I assume requires more skill than packing it in tight in front. And most of the pressure on the puck comes from the forwards. If you typically roll two units (or is it more fore the PK than PP?) that’s only four forwards in your rotation. Now downgrade one of those guys in place of Delvin, and?
              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Heck, it's not easy to play in Orono let alone win there, that said, I do remember a beat down with Danny Tirone that was fun! Agree; setting venue aside, UNH had
                to know what was coming at them. I said before this game that it wasn't the result that I was concerned with it was going to be the performance that mattered. And boy oh boy
                that performance...Now some fans are saying that UNH is a 'young team' and Maine is a 'good team' so that was the difference. Not sure if I'm buying that.

Doubt that BC expected to lose to NU (who is coming on as of late) in their barn as you point out. How the 'Cats do in the next one (darn have to miss that) matters alot.
                Or does it given the competition? How they assert / regroup against Rensselaer will be huge- need to win big here or there has to be 'trouble in paradise'. (nothing personal Rensselaer fans)

Yep, show us 'Cats!!
                My last visit to Alfond was the weekend of 19-20 January 2018 when senior Danny Tirone (aka Tie Rone) backstopped two ties, 2-2 and 3-3. A lot of his characteristic flopping but he got the job done that weekend behind a pitiful blue line corps. After splitting his first 2014/15 season in net with Adam Clark, Tirone pretty much was in net every game for his last three years while Clark stood at one end of the bench, with 125 total games played and an overall record of 48-60-17 (yes, 17 ties for Tie Rone).

If we do not score a double digit number of goals against RPI, then I will be more concerned than I am about losing 5-2 in Orono.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

My last visit to Alfond was the weekend of 19-20 January 2018 when senior Danny Tirone (aka Tie Rone) backstopped two ties, 2-2 and 3-3. A lot of his characteristic flopping but he got the job done that weekend behind a pitiful blue line corps. After splitting his first 2014/15 season in net with Adam Clark, Tirone pretty much was in net every game for his last three years while Clark stood at one end of the bench, with 125 total games played and an overall record of 48-60-17 (yes, 17 ties for Tie Rone).

If we do not score a double digit number of goals against RPI, then I will be more concerned than I am about losing 5-2 in Orono.
                  Speaking of those years there were times when we'd win big at the Alfond, Portland, and Manchester. Tyler K was a big thorn in Maine's side then as well as the infamous
                  DT style of goal tending. Scoring 7 goals in those games against them. Adam Clark...I always felt badly for him, seeing how he came into the 14-15 season as the
                  starter due to the CDS issue. Too bad he was injured at a Merrimack game and that was pretty much it, if I have that right. But DT came up big in the qtr final OT W
                  against PC that season, one of the sweeter Wildcat W's I've experienced as a fan...

A good friend/fan sent me a text saying we were 41-19-7 up there. Not sure of the accuracy of that. Great rivalry I look forward to another chance at them
                  in Feb...We sure better hang a ton of goals on Ren next weekend...not sure if we can muster double digits (this post will probably come back to haunt me eeek!)
                  but they sure need to get it together.

Comment

A good friend/fan sent me a text saying we were 41-19-7 up there. Not sure of the accuracy of that. Great rivalry I look forward to another chance at them
                    in Feb...We sure better hang a ton of goals on Ren next weekend...not sure if we can muster double digits (this post will probably come back to haunt me eeek!)
                    but they sure need to get it together.
                    Maine is now 71-62-13 in the all-time series against UNH, including a mark of 42-17-7 at Alfond Arena and 2-1-2 under head coach Ben Barr . Josh Nadeau scored three goals for his first career hat trick

I think you're good friend should be demoted to uninformed friend :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post

Maine is now 71-62-13 in the all-time series against UNH, including a mark of 42-17-7 at Alfond Arena and 2-1-2 under head coach Ben Barr . Josh Nadeau scored three goals for his first career hat trick

I think you're good friend should be demoted to uninformed friend :-)
                      Well he was only off a couple of games...and yes am aware of Josh's accomplishments last evening...good for him.
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-02-2023, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Well he was only off a couple of games...and yes am aware of Josh's accomplishments last evening...good for him.
                        More than a couple, as it looks like your friend got the wins and losses backwards, or has a weird way of reporting wins-losses-ties.

But here are some stats for the other end of the ledger: Maine was 10-2-1 at Snively, compared to their current 10-22-4 at the Whitt. Also, Maine leads UNH 9-4-0 on neutral ice, including Verizon/SNHU, Boston Garden/Fleet, Anaheim, Exel, Fenway, Cumberland, and Gutterson.

Comment

The way you wrote it made it sound as if UNH was 42-19-7 at Alfond girl. You had it backwards, or your friend did, lol. HUGE difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

More than a couple, as it looks like your friend got the wins and losses backwards, or has a weird way of reporting wins-losses-ties.

But here are some stats for the other end of the ledger: Maine was 10-2-1 at Snively, compared to their current 10-22-4 at the Whitt. Also, Maine leads UNH 9-4-0 on neutral ice, including Verizon/SNHU, Boston Garden/Fleet, Anaheim, Exel, Fenway, Cumberland, and Gutterson.
                            oh my...well...what can I say. Now its more than obvious that I am one of the 'less smart' posters here...or, I am suffering from covid brain, having just
                            recovered. Nope, the text read "we are 41-19-7 at the Alfond" which I interpreted as meaning UNH had more wins. Oh well. I stand duly corrected!

Comment

• If Walshy and Umile had a thing, I don't think they would have done the infamous Tri State Dodge (Somersworth NH) commercial together at the turn of the century. I haven't seen that thing in probably 25 years now, always hoped someone taped it? Two used car salesmen both posing as head hockey coaches, truly brilliant in all its awkwardness ...

... I need to know more about the Barr-Souza thing the other night.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

oh my...well...what can I say. Now its more than obvious that I am one of the 'less smart' posters here...or, I am suffering from covid brain, having just
                                recovered. Nope, the text read "we are 41-19-7 at the Alfond" which I interpreted as meaning UNH had more wins. Oh well. I stand duly corrected!

You read the text correctly as written. Your friend simply messed up the text.

Maine is 71 wins - 62 losses-13 ties overall
                                Maine 41 wins -19 losses -7 ties at Alfond
                                Maine then is 30 wins - 43 losses -6 ties combined total at Whitt, Snively and neutral sites. One of those W's is Anaheim :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X