Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey 2023-2024 Season Thread - End Of The Cellar-Dweller Era??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
    Does anyone know if Fitzgerald’s penalty was a game misconduct or game DQ? Will he have to sit out tonight (regardless of MS7’s opinion on the matter)? Pretty tough game for Fitzgerald, a night off might be called for anyway. Besides that pretty good game, especially after being down a goal playing on the road. So far this team doesn’t seem to get too rattled as compared to past years where after some adversity the wheels would fall off. Pairwise is like looking into an alternate universe.
    Calling it a major was suspect at best. He needs to sit tonight… problem is they don’t have many D on the roster. Babbage played well and deserves more time. Reid was awful but a senior won’t sit as they have no depth. Muse played well but I predict goalie split tonight.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Darius View Post
      It is hard not to be excited so far. NU is pretty awful right now though. I’d consider it a very successful season if we won 6 of our next 9, taking care of the ooc opponents, and went .500 from there. The way we are playing that is our over/under and right now I’d bet the over. Pinch me.
      Yeah I hear that about NU not being that great right now; seems like they are a shell of the team that would whoop us 8 zip at Matthews, but I'll take it...nice to be
      on the other side of those games (for a change) and the points are points.

      That said totally agree; where they go to the end of Dec is key...but right now? I'm excited!
      I'm just here for the hockey...

      Comment


      • Originally posted by norbert View Post

        Calling it a major was suspect at best. He needs to sit tonight… problem is they don’t have many D on the roster. Babbage played well and deserves more time. Reid was awful but a senior won’t sit as they have no depth. Muse played well but I predict goalie split tonight.
        Not disagreeing, but opponents thinking about their personal safety when going into our D zone corners is a good thing.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by norbert View Post

          Calling it a major was suspect at best. He needs to sit tonight… problem is they don’t have many D on the roster. Babbage played well and deserves more time. Reid was awful but a senior won’t sit as they have no depth. Muse played well but I predict goalie split tonight.
          I mean..seemed they has his (Fitzgerald's) number..but it was reviewed so I digress...agree Darius alittle fear isn't a bad thing!
          I'm just here for the hockey...

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Darius View Post
            It is hard not to be excited so far. NU is pretty awful right now though. I’d consider it a very successful season if we won 6 of our next 9, taking care of the ooc opponents, and went .500 from there. The way we are playing that is our over/under and right now I’d bet the over. Pinch me.
            To me this is the interesting part of tonight’s game. Northeastern may just be a bad team this year - is UNH good enough to put their foot down and bury the Huskies? UNH has beaten NU so easily in two games this far that a season series sweep seems like a must even if all of us would have eagerly jumped at a series win just over a month ago…
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Dan View Post

              To me this is the interesting part of tonight’s game. Northeastern may just be a bad team this year - is UNH good enough to put their foot down and bury the Huskies? UNH has beaten NU so easily in two games this far that a season series sweep seems like a must even if all of us would have eagerly jumped at a series win just over a month ago…
              This year the ’cats have mostly met these challenges whether from game to game like “winning” after the Q loss, beating Dartmouth or tonight; or in game like scoring to respond to an opponent’s goal or not giving one up just after scoring ourselves. They’ve not really had a Mike Tyson punch in the mouth moment yet. They just might have the character to respond.

              A nice side story is our top line which looks like an NCAA D I hockey top line. I am totally enjoying watching in state home grown long time ’cats fan family connected to the program Cy LeClerc. If he maintains his development trajectory, he is going to be getting national attention by season’s end and by his senior year be on a whole other level.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Dan View Post

                To me this is the interesting part of tonight’s game. Northeastern may just be a bad team this year - is UNH good enough to put their foot down and bury the Huskies? UNH has beaten NU so easily in two games this far that a season series sweep seems like a must even if all of us would have eagerly jumped at a series win just over a month ago…
                So far UNH is beating the teams they should. NU was predicted to be good but has shown they are not. I think each game is a pivotal point until there is belief this team is who they present.

                The big difference in this team is for real record wise and reality is the home tie to PC. They had many missed open nets but played ok. Hopefully with/if Devlin back next weekend to get the top line together we may have a better picture

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

                  Unfortunately, 25 is not a round number, Dale. A perfect square, yes.

                  UNH is 6-5-0 at home, 0-2-0 on neutral ice, and indeed a horrible 1-6-1 at Matthew’s since the 2013/14 season. But the 2013/14 season props up UNH win totals.

                  But, this year will be different, as I predict that we sweep the regular season from both HEA Fuskie teams.
                  One sweep down, one to go.

                  And JvR scored another goal at the Garden tonight vs Habs, as did second line-mate Trent Fredric, twice. Awesome line with center Coyle.
                  Last edited by Snively65; 11-19-2023, 03:37 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Way to sweep 'em boys....team was fired up!

                    Snives you were correct on the sweep tip o the hat to
                    ya my friend! Now to beat those other Fruskies!

                    Yeah 'Catttsssss!
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Darius View Post
                      This year the ’cats have mostly met these challenges whether from game to game like “winning” after the Q loss, beating Dartmouth or tonight; or in game like scoring to respond to an opponent’s goal or not giving one up just after scoring ourselves. They’ve not really had a Mike Tyson punch in the mouth moment yet. They just might have the character to respond.

                      A nice side story is our top line which looks like an NCAA D I hockey top line. I am totally enjoying watching in state home grown long time ’cats fan family connected to the program Cy LeClerc. If he maintains his development trajectory, he is going to be getting national attention by season’s end and by his senior year be on a whole other level.
                      Another challenge met - and in decisive fashion. Great sign. UNH should now be notably favored in (at the very least) seven of their next eight…

                      Getting ahead of ourselves, but - Can they head into the first 2024 BU matchup at 13-3-1 or better?
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

                      Comment


                      • This is all Crazy Town good stuff so far this season. Gotta take a deep breath and assess, but "so far so good" will suffice for now. Definitely WAY ahead of anything any of us realistically expected.

                        But if any HEA program is better known historically than UNH as a pre-break team ... so we tread cautiously but optimistically. Hoping to see the other "Champions of November" across the street tomorrow in the NCAA's. Good times!!
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          This is all Crazy Town good stuff so far this season. Gotta take a deep breath and assess, but "so far so good" will suffice for now. Definitely WAY ahead of anything any of us realistically expected.

                          But if any HEA program is better known historically than UNH as a pre-break team ... so we tread cautiously but optimistically. Hoping to see the other "Champions of November" across the street tomorrow in the NCAA's. Good times!!
                          Elephant in the room: If we get to the NCAA’s, does MS7 get a lengthy extension?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

                            Elephant in the room: If we get to the NCAA’s, does MS7 get a lengthy extension?
                            That will certainly be a tough one for Rich. The decision probably becomes clearer if the freshman class continues to achieve and sophomores improve. If that happens it becomes hard to argue he isn’t starting to bring in talent you can build on.

                            Edit: I had the ‘Cats coming out of the weekend with a single point, glad I’m horrible at predictions!
                            Last edited by d.gerry; 11-19-2023, 08:15 AM.
                            GO BLUE!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

                              Elephant in the room: If we get to the NCAA’s, does MS7 get a lengthy extension?
                              Easily. It won't take getting to the NCAAs, but won't be lengthy.
                              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Dan View Post

                                Another challenge met - and in decisive fashion. Great sign. UNH should now be notably favored in (at the very least) seven of their next eight…

                                Getting ahead of ourselves, but - Can they head into the first 2024 BU matchup at 13-3-1 or better?
                                I feel your excitement, am still tempering expectations. NU is 41 in the Pairwise. In seven league games they've scored 8 and surrendered 25 goals. Last night they played a goal tender whose career NCAA numbers are 0 - 7 - 0, GAA: 5.0, SV%: .813. The next three games against ranked opponents on the road will tell a lot. RIT is 32 in the Pairwise so maybe a bit of a poser, but UMO is Pairwise 7 and very tough to play especially coming off losing two at BU.

                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X