Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey 2023-2024 Season Thread - End Of The Cellar-Dweller Era??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cats having problems in FO circles with 5-16?

Comment

• 'Cats play a stronger second but just can't park it. Has to be tough when the other team gets what you worked so hard for...
      I'm going to say it, they are missing Devlin in that mix. Just as a playmaker. Not an excuse just think he's missed. And that PP...

Anyway on to the third...go 'Cats!
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Tough loss tonight, but not a disaster. I thought they worked pretty hard, but just wasn’t in the cards tonight. Week off to work on a few things may not be a bad thing.
        GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
          Tough loss tonight, but not a disaster. I thought they worked pretty hard, but just wasn’t in the cards tonight. Week off to work on a few things may not be a bad thing.
          Would agree. In many ways a typical UNH v PC series; not a ton of goals- ugh no hockey next weekend but think its a good time to assess what's working/what's not.
          Still was hoping for at least a split this weekend. The 'Cats are still in a better place than most here would have thought but I'm starting to wonder about our
          offense (again). Too soon?

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Would agree. In many ways a typical UNH v PC series; not a ton of goals- ugh no hockey next weekend but think its a good time to assess what's working/what's not.
            Still was hoping for at least a split this weekend. The 'Cats are still in a better place than most here would have thought but I'm starting to wonder about our
            offense (again). Too soon?
            5-4-3-1-0 = goals in each of last five games. Now 23 goals in 8 games, or 2.97 GPG, which projects to about 100 goals for the season, which would be better than in recent years. But I agree that the trend over the past five games should be a concern, as it is asking too much of your goalies to steal you games when you only score 0.5 GPG like this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

5-4-3-1-0 = goals in each of last five games. Now 23 goals in 8 games, or 2.97 GPG, which projects to about 100 goals for the season, which would be better than in recent years. But I agree that the trend over the past five games should be a concern, as it is asking too much of your goalies to steal you games when you only score 0.5 GPG like this weekend.
              ...and when you consider that our only goal of the weekend was a shortie, then one has to have some concern. I'll give their goalie a lot of credit but last night, I honestly
              think we had maybe 2 decent chances? That is not a good trend...Looking for coach's thoughts of this weekend of course what can you say other
              than 'we have to put the puck in the net'.

That would be a good place to start!
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-05-2023, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• Just to get us on the front page the Nathan Davis era begins tonight in Syracuse...whom they've never played. Go 'Cats!! Might just have to check this one out...

Comment

Just to get us on the front page the Nathan Davis era begins tonight in Syracuse...whom they've never played. Go 'Cats!! Might just have to check this one out...
                  This one could get messy! In other news, UNH jumps to 14th in the latest USCHO Poll.
                  GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post

This one could get messy! In other news, UNH jumps to 14th in the latest USCHO Poll.
                    Yes, it could indeed get messy, as well when they travel to UConn at the end of the month. But....they're money games, so that helps.
                    UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post

Yes, it could indeed get messy, as well when they travel to UConn at the end of the month. But....they're money games, so that helps.
                      Really these games are a "can't lose" proposition for a team like UNH. Nobody expects the 'Cats to even keep it close, so if they do make it a game or egad, the impossible were to happen, it only shines a light on a completely unknown program. And you're right, the money always helps soften the blow!
                      GO BLUE!

Comment

...and when you consider that our only goal of the weekend was a shortie, then one has to have some concern. I'll give their goalie a lot of credit but last night, I honestly
                        think we had maybe 2 decent chances? That is not a good trend...Looking for coach's thoughts of this weekend of course what can you say other
                        than 'we have to put the puck in the net'.
                        Your guys looked great against QPAC and NU earned/deserved respect. Small problem: By now other teams have enough tape on the New, New Hampshire that they have a better idea about how to defend against their offense. This past weekend, you had to deal with a PC team which is capable of boring the fans and opposition to sleep with their form of defense. If this were hoops, their style might be described as "taking the air out of the ball." Northeastern has to face PC twice next weekend after they have averaged 1 goal per game in league play (missing 3 top players). Good luck!
                        Still it's nice to see the great start your guys have had. You're more than just a soccer school, as well as the most prolific (and literate) posters on this board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post

Your guys looked great against QPAC and NU earned/deserved respect. Small problem: By now other teams have enough tape on the New, New Hampshire that they have a better idea about how to defend against their offense. This past weekend, you had to deal with a PC team which is capable of boring the fans and opposition to sleep with their form of defense. If this were hoops, their style might be described as "taking the air out of the ball." Northeastern has to face PC twice next weekend after they have averaged 1 goal per game in league play (missing 3 top players). Good luck!
                          Still it's nice to see the great start your guys have had. You're more than just a soccer school, as well as the most prolific (and literate) posters on this board.
                          This isn't really a problem, every team has the same ability to watch teams and learn. UNH gave up 4.2 goals a game over the first three, and just 1.25 goals per game over the next four, so you could say UNH has been watching too. The more important thing is how UNH will adjust as the season progresses. Hopefully the underclassmen will continue to contribute and step up their production, especially with Devlin out for the foreseeable future.
                          GO BLUE!

Comment

• I know Devlin is hurt, but I was not at the game where he was injured. Does anyone know the extent of his injury and how long is he expected to be out?
                            UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              I know Devlin is hurt, but I was not at the game where he was injured. Does anyone know the extent of his injury and how long is he expected to be out?
                              I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard more about this injury-I mean, they do happen and after evaluated its generally disclosed (most often). I believe we are
                              talking about a couple of broken fingers, and, no idea about a time table...says the grapevine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post

Hey thanks for the great post I really needed something like this after feeling kind of , well, not let down or disappointed but something
                                in between. I do feel that there was alot learned in those 2 games and I also felt we certainly competed well.

And yes, there are some prolific writers on here! I've learned so much about the sport from all of them / friendships/ this is my 10th
                                year following the 'Cats excited to see what it will bring. So far, very impressed and hopeful for them.

As for the NU v PC game (s) this should be a very interesting watch. Echo your sentiments about the Friars D, they definitely
                                work within a definite system. I think we matched up well (as we usually do) and like I said, they were great games.

Keep coming back (as they say)...
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-06-2023, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X