Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey 2023-2024 Season Thread - End Of The Cellar-Dweller Era??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by grooverider View Post

Oh e.mildcat you figured me out..I was trying to find tik tok videos as well of "UNH Hockey National championship" but my results came back blank..can you help me Mildcat fan #1? :-)
    You trying to mimick the BC pinheads of the early 2000s? You don't come close

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Balin View Post

You trying to mimick the BC pinheads of the early 2000s? You don't come close
      I don't even know what you're talking about but I'll just go back to the Maine thread and talk to Chuck, a little less hostile over there. I guess that is what happens when your coach has ran your program into the toilet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

I would have a hard time with that visualization of any Maine-iac, e.cat. :-)

What I find most comical is that here we get nearly incoherent short jabs from gooverider, but in return the Maine-iacs get eloquent and impeccably written, albeit long-winded, treatises from Chuck on their thread. :-)
        You're probably right. Groovy probably lives out of a van parked at the nearest Walmart.
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

I agree. As much as MS7 benefited (contract extension?) by getting his team to 20 wins with the MBPBEGAM game, I think that we would have had a better chance for reaching the Garden by placing fifth and facing Proviced at Schneider and letting the Minutemen try again in Orono. I think that a trip to the Garden is more important than stickin’ it to the Black Bears in Orono.
          One advantage of your way Snives is then there is the possibility of BOTH UMaine and UNH making it to Boston.

You know Commish Nigel would be praying for such a thing to happen. The old Big Four in Boston? Sign me up.

Having said that, I'm good with where we stand right now. Let MS7 prove he is extension-worthy, or ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

What I find most comical is that here we get nearly incoherent short jabs from gooverider, but in return the Maine-iacs get eloquent and impeccably written, albeit long-winded, treatises from Chuck on their thread. :-)
            Chuck does have a way with words. I don't think you were on the board in the early days when Chuck and I sparred but at one point I asked Chuck if he was a Philadelphia lawyer. I don't remember his response but I'm sure it wasn't a one word answer. Haha
            Last edited by e.cat; 03-15-2024, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
              Chuck does have a way with words. I don't think you were on the board in the early days when Chuck and I sparred but at one point I asked Chuck if he was a Philadelphia lawyer.
              True. The sparring thing, anyway. NOT a Philadelphia lawyer LOL ... good times!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

One advantage of your way Snives is then there is the possibility of BOTH UMaine and UNH making it to Boston.

You know Commish Nigel would be praying for such a thing to happen. The old Big Four in Boston? Sign me up.

Having said that, I'm good with where we stand right now. Let MS7 prove he is extension-worthy, or ...
                Oh, for sure, I remember those days, when Maine and UNH had just as many fans at the Garden as did BC and BU. If only we had taken care of business in a couple of those home-and-home HEA series late in the season, it might have been a possibility. “Wait’l next year,” said the diehard Sox fans pre-2004.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

True. The sparring thing, anyway. NOT a Philadelphia lawyer LOL ... good times!!
                  Good times for sure. I've been on the board close to 24 (hard to believe) years and you've got me by a year. It was the wild Wild West back in the day. Groovy would have been swallowed up and spit out back then. Haha

Comment

Nice research. So how about beginning your string when the team moved inside to Snively Arena in 1965 (so the past 60 seasons)?
                    Snively opened 2/13/1965 against Norwich. To make my life easier I am going to start with the first full season, the 1965-66 season.
                    Coach Seasons Winning % Games Coached Games Over .500
                    Bjorkman 3 66% 77 25
                    Umile 28 60% 1083 223
                    Holt 18 60% 597 115
                    Souza 6 45% 197 -20
                    Kullen 3 37% 111 -29
                    O'Connor 1 28% 30 -13
                    Little history because fewer of us have been around forever. O'Connor only coached his one year because Kullen was out getting a heart transplant. This was the mid/late 80's so the procedure was very risky, Kullen returned to coach 2 more years and ultimately died because his body rejected the heart, Hockey East coach of the year award is named after coach Kullen. It was Kullen and staff (Sean Coady) that restocked the cupboards and allowed Umile to go 22-11-2 (.657%) his first year as head coach. That 4 year turn around would potentially have been quicker had Kullen not been so sick and out with the heart issues. For reference Kullen (and staff) first 2 recruiting classes included All-Americans Domenic Amodeo and Joe Flanagan, future NHL players Kevin Dean, Scott Morrow, Chris Winnes, and Adren Plavisc. Also Savo Mitrovic who I always liked and was a 1 point per game over his 4 years.

So yeah Souza has had an EXTREMELY long run for what he has produced.

P.S. I think it is clear, that I believe Kullen and O'Connor each deserve an asterisk for extenuating circumstances and that the talent they acquired early on, speaks to the immediate impact they had on program direction.
                    Last edited by JB; 03-15-2024, 04:08 PM.
                    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post

Chuck does have a way with words. I don't think you were on the board in the early days when Chuck and I sparred but at one point I asked Chuck if he was a Philadelphia lawyer. I don't remember his response but I'm sure it wasn't a one word answer. Haha
                      Correct-o, as I was only on the old HockeyL list-serve until Greg Ambrose dragged me over here following the Buffalo FF. I chose my screen name not knowing there was already another Snively here, who was also a Durham townie in my younger brother’s class at Oyster River High.

Comment

Correct-o, as I was only on the old HockeyL list-serve until Greg Ambrose dragged me over here following the Buffalo FF. I chose my screen name not knowing there was already another Snively here, who was also a Durham townie in my younger brother’s class at Oyster River High.
                        I miss Greg, he always had an interesting take on things, and his knowledge of the CHDA (College Hockey Dark Ages) was unmatched. I hope he's OK wherever he is. He and his wife Karen were long-time staples at The Whitt and on the many road trips. He is one of those posters I'd love to see back on here. Him, Gibber, Dabigbadcow (now a D-1 Women's HC), Bobo et als and NickUNH (my ol' Three Stooges compatriots), olddog (RIP) and a host of others. Life has a way of sending us all on different paths. A reunion would be fantastic if do-able ...

Comment

Pretty wild to think that I last used Hockey-L almost 30 years ago, on an America Online account!

Even wilder that it apparently is still active.

Last edited by Markt; 03-15-2024, 09:23 PM.

Comment

But if chuck wanted anyone besides himself to participate in a conversation, he would shoot for brief and interesting. Treatises are useless if nobody cares to read them.

and yeah.SteveF and the pinheads were pretty awesome….collar up!

Comment

• Originally posted by StillKIA2 View Post
                              But if chuck wanted anyone besides himself to participate in a conversation, he would shoot for brief and interesting.
                              I see you underestimate the attention span of our audience, KIA. Y'know ... lots of college-educated hockey fans and all, many of whom have an attention span long enough to handle 60 whole seconds of reading. Shocking, eh?

So I'll let you teach me how to be "brief and interesting", KIA. Just me when you start getting to the interesting part, OK ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Markt View Post

Pretty wild to think that I last used Hockey-L almost 30 years ago, on an America Online account!

Even wilder that it apparently is still active.

It’s still active but active is pretty subjective : ). I did see the annual pick the tourney emails the other day and maybe another discussion.
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X