Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey 2023-2024 Season Thread - End Of The Cellar-Dweller Era??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
    Is UNH ready to pony up money for a new $5OOK contract? If Ben Barr is raking in $425k in Orono, Maine.....you better believe that UNH's next coach better be paid that +++.
    If MS7 had accomplished a small fraction of what Barr has accomplished in their respective careers, you might have a point. Also, Barr was recently extended in the middle of his deal for exceeding expectations at UMaine ... Souza is literally running out the final weeks of his deal, no extension to date, and IF he's extended, I'd bet next year's salary that he's not gonna be getting $500K per. Or anything close to that much.

    IF UNH goes shopping for a replacement, they're probably focusing on a hire that's a current D-1 assistant, or HC somewhere in the juniors, and any of those guys will likely be at least doubling their salary to come to UNH, meaning he'd probably be making around what the current HC is making. IF UNH does what UMass did and hires a HC from another school, that will probably raise the price of poker, but probably to something around $400K (just under Barr) as opposed to $500K. Having said that ... if they got the right guy, and it took $500K to get him out of current successful employment to transform the UNH program to former levels of success, then count me in.

    In other news ... UNH Hoops finished its first season under Coach Davis with a 16-15 record, and came up just short in the AE Semifinals last night at UVM. UNH Men's Hoops still has yet to advance to a conference Finals in its history (hard to believe), and there won't be any NCAA bid this year either. But if we're grading to scale, this is a good start for the new guy, and a reminder to the AD that sometimes change can be good.

    UNH men's basketball team goes cold, is ousted at Vermont | College Sports | unionleader.com
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

    Comment


    • Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Game day!! Didn't know our home record is the best it's been since the 2007-08 season according to yesterday's UL. (It was also pointed out that MS7 runs the PP for those who wondered in other posts)

      Time to churn and burn Wildcats! Keep the focus on tonight...don't take the bait and just win baby winnnnnn!

      HR's predict: 5-1 UNH
      That's the spirit. Al Davis would be proud.

      If you want to get a sense of where the UML program is at this point in time, check their thread. Some of those guys (who've been around here forever) think their guys have quit, and are just mailing it in. Like I said before, this is not your father's UML team, and there is absolutely zero reason for UNH to gack things up tonight. Not with a potentially program-altering trip to Orono on the line for the coming weekend ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

        That's the spirit. Al Davis would be proud.

        If you want to get a sense of where the UML program is at this point in time, check their thread. Some of those guys (who've been around here forever) think their guys have quit, and are just mailing it in. Like I said before, this is not your father's UML team, and there is absolutely zero reason for UNH to gack things up tonight. Not with a potentially program-altering trip to Orono on the line for the coming weekend ...
        Question... Is this your father's UNH team? If so we're in trouble given past history of gacking up gimmes in the playoffs. This is not even close to being one of the biggest playoff games in UNH history (for MS7? - sure is), so maybe the routineness of this MBPBEGAM playoff game (if that's even a thing) will keep the guys loose rolling to a third win over UML in six days! Or, well we all know what that result is. My heart (of course) says UNH wins, my gut says hold on to your seats, this could get bumpy.
        GO BLUE!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
          My heart (of course) says UNH wins, my gut says hold on to your seats, this could get bumpy.
          I watched all nine of our games on NESN this season, but going to my first in-person UNH game tonight (thanks for your hubby’s ticket, HR), but I rarely sit in a seat, rather I like to stand in the top row adjacent to the band. :-)

          Comment


          • Originally posted by norbert View Post

            Lets not get ahead of ourselves
            +1
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

              If MS7 had accomplished a small fraction of what Barr has accomplished in their respective careers, you might have a point. Also, Barr was recently extended in the middle of his deal for exceeding expectations at UMaine ... Souza is literally running out the final weeks of his deal, no extension to date, and IF he's extended, I'd bet next year's salary that he's not gonna be getting $500K per. Or anything close to that much.

              IF UNH goes shopping for a replacement, they're probably focusing on a hire that's a current D-1 assistant, or HC somewhere in the juniors, and any of those guys will likely be at least doubling their salary to come to UNH, meaning he'd probably be making around what the current HC is making. IF UNH does what UMass did and hires a HC from another school, that will probably raise the price of poker, but probably to something around $400K (just under Barr) as opposed to $500K. Having said that ... if they got the right guy, and it took $500K to get him out of current successful employment to transform the UNH program to former levels of success, then count me in.

              In other news ... UNH Hoops finished its first season under Coach Davis with a 16-15 record, and came up just short in the AE Semifinals last night at UVM. UNH Men's Hoops still has yet to advance to a conference Finals in its history (hard to believe), and there won't be any NCAA bid this year either. But if we're grading to scale, this is a good start for the new guy, and a reminder to the AD that sometimes change can be good.

              UNH men's basketball team goes cold, is ousted at Vermont | College Sports | unionleader.com
              My guess is an extension would be at the same salary.
              https://tnhdigital.com/23164/news/ho...-vs-academics/

              Pretty much the same results as with the prior BB coach, no?


              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

                I watched all nine of our games on NESN this season, but going to my first in-person UNH game tonight (thanks for your hubby’s ticket, HR), but I rarely sit in a seat, rather I like to stand in the top row adjacent to the band. :-)
                See you there! Have a funnyish story to tell you about these tickets when I see you. Go 'Cats Go! I normally go to the other end in the 2nd to watch our offense..easy to
                cat call from there hahaha
                I'm just here for the hockey...

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Darius View Post

                  Pretty much the same results as with the prior BB coach, no?

                  2022-23
                  Coach Bill Herrion
                  Salary $183,000
                  Overall record 15-15
                  America East record 9-7
                  Seeded third
                  Lost in semi finals

                  2023-24
                  Coach Nathan Davis
                  Salary $250,000
                  Overall record 16-15
                  America East record 7-9
                  Seeded fourth
                  Lost in semi finals
                  UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Felger View Post

                    2022-23
                    Coach Bill Herrion
                    Salary $183,000
                    Overall record 15-15
                    America East record 9-7
                    Seeded third
                    Lost in semi finals

                    2023-24
                    Coach Nathan Davis
                    Salary $250,000
                    Overall record 16-15
                    America East record 7-9
                    Seeded fourth
                    Lost in semi finals
                    I think a little context is in order. To basically be the same as the last guy (in year whatever) in year one seems like a good start. Particularly when you consider UNH's, ahem, stellar history in B-Ball. Now you want improvement in years 2 and 3 as the new coach has more time to recruit "his guys" to the program.
                    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

                    Comment


                    • Gameday!! Last game at the Whitt of the season. Go CATS! I expect they handle Lowell pretty easily. Season will be on the line Saturday.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        (It was also pointed out that MS7 runs the PP for those who wondered in other posts)
                        UGH!

                        That is something that makes me want to have a new coach more not less.

                        This teams Power Play is a train wreck. They score on individual plays not based on scheme. They aren't improving either, more the other way around, getting worse.
                        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

                        Comment


                        • Side Note: on consistency or not improving - you can pick

                          UNH has played 34 games this year (excluding the exhibition). So it is reasonable to break the season into 7 game chunks, each 20% of the season.
                          % of Season Record
                          20% (games 1-7) 4-2-1
                          40% (games 8-14) 4-3
                          60% (games 15-21) 4-3
                          80% (games 22-28) 4-3
                          100% (games 29-34) 3-3
                          longest winning streak 3 games
                          longest losing streak 2 games
                          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by JB View Post

                            I think a little context is in order. To basically be the same as the last guy (in year whatever) in year one seems like a good start. Particularly when you consider UNH's, ahem, stellar history in B-Ball. Now you want improvement in years 2 and 3 as the new coach has more time to recruit "his guys" to the program.
                            That's fair. However the narrative on Davis at Bucknell was that he had more success with the guys from the prior coaching staff than with the ones he brought in later. And when he got to UNH, low and behold, he found the conference Player of the Year leftover from the previous coach. To the new staff's credit, they kept Daniels in Durham after he was in the portal. So we will see how recruiting plays out going forward.

                            I really like what the AD did in upgrading the assistant coaches and the out of conference schedule.

                            So I guess Souza's replacement next year only has to finish seventh in Hockey East?
                            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by JB View Post

                              I think a little context is in order. To basically be the same as the last guy (in year whatever) in year one seems like a good start. Particularly when you consider UNH's, ahem, stellar history in B-Ball. Now you want improvement in years 2 and 3 as the new coach has more time to recruit "his guys" to the program.
                              New coach has a 3 star recruit committed from Brewster Academy (NH). Caleb Middleton is 6'11" and from NH. UNH hoops and '3 stars' are not usually uttered together in the same sentence.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Mildcat View Post

                                New coach has a 3 star recruit committed from Brewster Academy (NH). Caleb Middleton is 6'11" and from NH. UNH hoops and '3 stars' are not usually uttered together in the same sentence.
                                Good to hear. Brewster Academy has turned out some good basketball prospects.
                                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X