Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey 2023-2024 Season Thread - End Of The Cellar-Dweller Era??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by norbert View Post

Just saw that. Why and what could he possibly have to say?
    It’s part of the “save my job” media tour. Lots of UNH connections with Bruins and NESN (Jack and Andy), media friends helping out again.
    GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Balin View Post

Yes his stock has risen this year. Kimball Union defeated Cushing Academy 4-1 yesterday to win the Prep championship Sadowski had 2 goals.
      And an assist I believe. In the semi-final against Salisbury he had the winning goal in OT for a 4-3 win. This is what head coach Tim Whitehead said after the game about his top line of Sadowski, LeDrew and Simmers. “They’re fierce competitors, they’re not just skilled players looking for offensive opportunities all the time,” said Kimball Union coach Tim Whitehead. “That’s how they train, that’s how they practice, and it translates into the game.” Sadowski had 41 goals and 46 assists for the year. It's always difficult to predict performance going from prep school to college, but he has tremendous potential. Ledrew has committed to St. Lawrence and I believe Simmers is a junior.

Comment

• Originally posted by norbert View Post

Just saw that. Why and what could he possibly have to say?
        I just got home to watch the Bruins game on NESN, so what DID MS7 say pregame?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

I just got home to watch the Bruins game on NESN, so what DID MS7 say pregame?
          Billy Jaffe asked him about what he likes about his team (answer was compete level) and what has led to the turn around from last season....Answer players are 1 year older like Gagne Devlin LeClerc...and the strong recruiting classes of the past 2 seasons.

Some chatter about Hellsten and the upcoming weekend with UML ...MS7 was quick to point out you can never count out Bazin...etc. 'On any given night anyone can lose in HE regardless of where you are in the standings"

No questions about next season or the power play woes
          Lol...

BTW Snively got the email regarding next week's HE game tickets but they did mention they could get 5th but think you discussed how that would be tough depending on tie breakers? I'll have to re read your post...
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Billy Jaffe asked him about what he likes about his team (answer was compete level) and what has led to the turn around from last season....Answer players are 1 year older like Gagne Devlin LeClerc...and the strong recruiting classes of the past 2 seasons.

Some chatter about Hellsten and the upcoming weekend with UML ...MS7 was quick to point out you can never count out Bazin...etc. 'On any given night anyone can lose in HE regardless of where you are in the standings"

No questions about next season or the power play woes
            Lol...

BTW Snively got the email regarding next week's HE game tickets but they did mention they could get 5th but think you discussed how that would be tough depending on tie breakers? I'll have to re read your post...
            Thanks for this summary, HR. I may not fully understand HEA tiebreakers, after reading a post by tipanews on the Maine thread. Bottomline is that we should sweep the UMass-Bazin series this weekend, like we shoulda swept the Yukon, UVM, and Mack series, not to mention the one-and-done at ARMY!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              If MS7 doesn't give AD Rich something better than a cool "White Out The Whitt" this season, I'm thinking he's toast ... NCAA's are virtually out, a trip to Boston for the HEA Semis is on life support, as is any shot at a 20 win season. I suspect he tops out at 18-16-1, so if Rich's good with one (barely) winning season in 9 years running recruiting, I'm afraid she's still got a little too much Princeton blood running in her UNH veins.
              Wow, you think that UMass-Bazin’s team is going to take two out of three, with two games at the Whitt? And I thought that I was Mr. Negative. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

Thanks for this summary, HR. I may not fully understand HEA tiebreakers, after reading a post by tipanews on the Maine thread. Bottomline is that we should sweep the UMass-Bazin series this weekend, like we shoulda swept the Yukon, UVM, and Mack series, not to mention the one-and-done at ARMY!
                Hey much obliged and there's probably a clip of it out there.

On the tie breaker stuff no worries alot to shake out and by Sunday we will know what's what.

And I am with you sweep the Ospreys and beat them again if we have to! Can't believe we are at this point in the season...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

All said, probably a fair take on both sides. The second one sounds a wee bit too defensive, as I think any coach who's been given as much time as Souza has should have been expected to do more, and "careful" (twice) suggests it was a close call. On the first one, I don't ever see any UNH press release giving a reason for retainer of a HC for (basically) schmoozing a donor, at least not in writing in a general press release. Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't ... but it puts the school and TDL in a less-than-flattering spotlight on the decision.

Every exercise I put myself through to get to the decision, it's always coming back "thanks for your services, but".

If MS7 doesn't give AD Rich something better than a cool "White Out The Whitt" this season, I'm thinking he's toast ... NCAA's are virtually out, a trip to Boston for the HEA Semis is on life support, as is any shot at a 20 win season. I suspect he tops out at 18-16-1, so if Rich's good with one (barely) winning season in 9 years running recruiting, I'm afraid she's still got a little too much Princeton blood running in her UNH veins.
                  BTW Chuck these are just reflections from the conversations here on this board...not how they
                  would actually transgress? ​

No idea how it will be worded but while I'm waiting looking forward to see how the 'Cats fare in the games ahead.

Meanwhile Hilary Witt is a finalist for HE COTY. Good luck to her 'Cats v NU Wednesday

Comment

• Ironically, I can see a possible scenario where MS7 vindicates HIMSELF for the loss in the big one in 1999 against....lets hear it, UMAINE! This is how, you might ask....easy,...... beating Maine in the HE quarterfinals (at Alfond no less). Yeah, I know its small consolation compared to a NC game, but what motivation it would be and it definitely would be enough for your AD to extend Mikey for 3 more years. Think about it....insert smiley
                    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      No idea how much support he has amongst fans; but she's gotta be hearing from some of the heavy 'UNH faithful' who I know are lobbying for
                      his contract to be renewed.
                      This is tough to read as I know you're pretty connected with the program, 'Ref. Are you able to elaborate on this any further? I am not doubting this is true, but I can't for the life of me wrap my head around any 'UNH faithful' lobbying for more Souza.

Reading that took the wind out of my sails for a bit, but it motivated me to do something I've been meaning to for awhile which is sending an email to Dr. Rich imploring her to move on from Souza and begin a new era at UNH. I just cannot fathom looking at his tenure and thinking 'let's bring this guy back for more.' He's been with the program for almost 10 years and this (unfinished) season is the only one to date that could even be deemed mediocre.

Comment

• Originally posted by teez View Post

He's been with the program for almost 10 years and this (unfinished) season is the only one to date that could even be deemed mediocre.
                        That is why they need to extend MS7 now, and quick, while it makes *some* sense.

Comment

• I can’t emphasize it enough how remarkable I will find it if they fire him after he starts to find some success. Like why wait all these years for him to get UNH going in the right direction then fire him? Whole thing is incredibly absurd.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by teez View Post

This is tough to read as I know you're pretty connected with the program, 'Ref. Are you able to elaborate on this any further? I am not doubting this is true, but I can't for the life of me wrap my head around any 'UNH faithful' lobbying for more Souza.

Reading that took the wind out of my sails for a bit, but it motivated me to do something I've been meaning to for awhile which is sending an email to Dr. Rich imploring her to move on from Souza and begin a new era at UNH. I just cannot fathom looking at his tenure and thinking 'let's bring this guy back for more.' He's been with the program for almost 10 years and this (unfinished) season is the only one to date that could even be deemed mediocre.
                            There are quite a few fans who support him actually and like those who do not have voiced their views to the AD as well. Having gone to alot of away games I've had these conversations. This 'turn around season' seems to be enough and the promise of more to come. Esp with the improvements on the horizon to attract skilled recruits.

He has his supporters.. this should not come as a surprise. I'm glad you sent an email...the more she hears from fans the better. That said...it goes both ways and he's getting support from these fans who are very pleased with the job he's done.

You'd think that looking at the over all record would speak for itself but when you bleed blue no matter what it doesn't matter. As much of a slam that might seem to these fans it's not meant to be. There are times I wish I had less of an emotional investment tbh...

They have been long time supporters of not only the hockey team but of all things UNH and theres nothing wrong with that. They like him as a coach and personally and they think he's the right guy for the job.

Everyone has the right to be the fan they want to be. Heck I get accused of being a 'bad fan' because I've voiced my opinion here. Ok whatever!

Thats all I got on the issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                              Ironically, I can see a possible scenario where MS7 vindicates HIMSELF for the loss in the big one in 1999 against....lets hear it, UMAINE! This is how, you might ask....easy,...... beating Maine in the HE quarterfinals (at Alfond no less). Yeah, I know its small consolation compared to a NC game, but what motivation it would be and it definitely would be enough for your AD to extend Mikey for 3 more years. Think about it....insert smiley
                              I like this scenario. But we also cannot forget UHN’s 2002 debacle at St Paul’s Exel Center post-MS7.
                              Last edited by Snively65; 03-05-2024, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                I can’t emphasize it enough how remarkable I will find it if they fire him after he starts to find some success. Like why wait all these years for him to get UNH going in the right direction then fire him? Whole thing is incredibly absurd.
                                It comes down to what your expectations are and how you define success. I started following UNH in '99 and the next 15 years were a period of sustained success. At their high water mark they made the NCAA's something like 17 of 20 seasons. Compared to that, Souza's tenure couldn't be more dissimilar. You know the results but they've finished 10th, 10th, 11th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 9th, 10th and 6th in his nine seasons on UNH's payroll.

My expectations in 2024 are not what they were in 2010. The conference has gotten more competitive and there is more parity, but I still have (what I think are reasonable) expectations of success. Generally speaking I'd define success as an NCAA berth every ~3 seasons and a trip to Boston ~5 times in a decade.

Shifting back to 23-24 I will acknowledge this season is not over, but going into the year I felt that he needed to make the NCAA tournament to keep his job. As it stands now the absolute bare minimum for me to deem it successful is a trip to Boston. While it's not impossible, I'm not holding my breath.
                                Last edited by teez; 03-05-2024, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X