Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey 2023-2024 Season Thread - End Of The Cellar-Dweller Era??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 2013hockeyfan View Post

It doesn't feel like this weekend is hard to predict given recent results from UNH (and the less recent matchup between the two teams in Orono, which wasn't a particularly competitive game). I'm just curious if they will be able to keep it close either night, tbh.
    Dining on the tastiest of crow after this weekend

Comment

• I'm still far from certain I buy into UNH this season, let alone long term - but a 22% chance to finish fourth definitely perks my interest. Ending up in 4th-place likely means jumping PC, which would ultimately list top-four teams in Hockey East as BC, BU, UMO & UNH, offering some glory day sentimentality for many of us (at least for one season)...
      Live Free or Die!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

I'm still far from certain I buy into UNH this season, let alone long term - but a 22% chance to finish fourth definitely perks my interest. Ending up in 4th-place likely means jumping PC, which would ultimately list top-four teams in Hockey East as BC, BU, UMO & UNH, offering some glory day sentimentality for many of us (at least for one season)...
        I am with you. It still feels a bit of a mirage.

The inconsistency definitely has some mediocre team vibes to it. Those stretches of games where they are playing poorly is that really who they are?

It would seem plausible for this team to go 3-3 or 2-4 down the stretch and get bounced before getting to Boston and be done for the year.

I think in some ways this team embodies that line "you aren't talented enough to win on talent alone". When they remember that and work there asses off they convincingly sweeping UMaine on the weekend. When they forget, it is losing at Army 6-3.

It has been noted if you flip the "bad" L's @Army & @MC, UNH is all of a sudden 10th in the Pairwise and not looking bad for the NCAAs. Also flip home Uconn and @UVM and UNH is suddenly 6th and basically a lock. If the team on the ice against UMaine this past weekend had shown up in those 4 games I think the results would have been different. Can't change the past.

As a UNH fan some of it is this team is young (particularly the scoring) and that is likely the cause of the inconsistency that has been the problem. Hopefully they have learned via the hard knocks, maybe the coaching has come around (maybe). I will give Souza credit for identifying the problem and the solution to the Union Leader before the UMaine games and then the team actually executed. What took so long?
        Last edited by JB; 02-20-2024, 04:20 PM.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• This weekend will be telling. Teams are virtually equal in records, standings, PWR and the poll and both need two wins to keep NCAA chances alive. Logic says they split.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
            This weekend will be telling. Teams are virtually equal in records, standings, PWR and the poll and both need two wins to keep NCAA chances alive. Logic says they split.
            I think that if UNH and Flagship split then neither gets into the NCAA’s, limiting HEA to BC, BU, Maine, and PC.

Following is comparison of losses by the two teams:

Flagship (15 in PWR) losses (9#) and PWR ranking: BC-1(2#), BU-2, Maine-7, Mich–16, UVM-27(2#), Mack-31, Clarkson-36

UNH (17 in PWR) losses (11#): BC-1, BU-2(2#), Maine-7, Quinn-8, PC-12, Yukon-22, RIT-25, UVM-27, Mack-31, Army-56

Comment

• College Hockey News dubs UNH Team of the Week ...with remarks about a contract extension by MS7
              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                College Hockey News dubs UNH Team of the Week ...with remarks about a contract extension by MS7
                Kudos to the writer, he's not outwardly shilling for MS7, but merely stating that the topic is out there, and fuels discussion on this board/thread. I still think a whole range of potential outcomes is possible - anywhere from UNH letting the deal expire without a renewal, to a 3 year extension.

It is indeed all left to play for, with UMass this weekend, BC the next, and finally with UMass Bazin, to determine HEA playoff seedings, and what kind of chance us UNH fans have of traveling to Boston in late March with a dog ('Cat?) in the fight. UNH arguably carries the momentum into this weekend's series ... then, they encounter a potentially undermotivated BC team with little to play for, and catch UML late in a poor season by their recent standards. Given that this is the schedule, and it's set in stone ... I don't think you could hope for better conditions surrounding the games than the ones UNH will be faced with coming up. Would a 4-1-1 run be enough? If the loss is to BC, and the tie is either with UMA or BC, then my guess is "possibly yes". Can't wait to find out ...
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• According to the Magic Losing Numbers grid in the Hockey East link posted by Felger, even if our Cats lose out all our remaining six games, the cellar spot would be still out of reach, so Scott’s thread title question is now answered, that is our cellar dweller era is over. Would that alone be enough to ensure MS7 an extension?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    According to the Magic Losing Numbers grid in the Hockey East link posted by Felger, even if our Cats lose out all our remaining six games, the cellar spot would be still out of reach, so Scott’s thread title question is now answered, that is our cellar dweller era is over. Would that alone be enough to ensure MS7 an extension?
                    Well in the article he pretty much says they are working on something...and he mentions those that have invested many times over. It's in the bag. Hey!
                    How's about he makes up a cool sneaker...oh wait..ha! Just read on the UVM board that their coach signed a 4 year deal...

Better yet...just win and play like you know you can 'Cats!

Ps..this server suxs.
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-21-2024, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Well in the article he pretty much says they are working on something...and he mentions those that have invested many times over. It's in the bag. Hey!
                      How's about he makes up a cool sneaker...oh wait..ha! Just read on the UVM board that their coach signed a 4 year deal...

Better yet...just win and play like you know you can 'Cats!

Ps..this server suxs.
                      Yeah, I get it. My question that you highlighted was rhetorical, although I am not happy about the answer. And, of course, I would be delighted if our Cats ran the table, or even just swept UMass-Flagship and UMass-Bazin, which might just barely be enough to grab the 14th PWR slot if some Nacho teams beat up one another over their remaining regular season games. Also, in the past there has been plenty of PWR movement for bubble teams during the conference tournaments.

Comment

• What concerns me is that zoomass is a pretty solid team on the road.

Comment

• And coming off two losses. Seems like this might come down to who has the better coaching and motivation. Fortunately UMA no longer has Ben Barr. Oh, wait...
                          Last edited by Darius; 02-21-2024, 05:43 PM.
                          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ferrrao1994 View Post
                            What concerns me is that zoomass is a pretty solid team on the road.
                            ...and UNH...isn't at 5-8. But when I look at their W's on the road, we can do it (am not even going to mention the Army game). When I first started following the team
                            UNH won handily (as most teams did before the Carvel era) at Mullins, we've won a play off game there (Max Gildon's last season HE play in). Almost threw my computer
                            against the wall when we squandered a 5 to 6 goal lead (think we tied?). Anyhoo..

Surely it's not lost on the team just how big a weekend this is, you know Carvel is going to have his troops ready and MS7 surely gets it. Whether or not
                            UNH 'comes to play' when they need to, is the question. Sorry, but you can't help but wonder who is going to show up with them, this is not a secret. I think most
                            fans were pleasantly surprised about how this past weekend went, but we can't rest on that going forward.

Go 'Cats!!!

Comment

Well in the article he pretty much says they are working on something...and he mentions those that have invested many times over. It's in the bag.
                              Maybe I am the one that is na?ve, I don't think it is in the bag.

If it was a done deal it would be announced. Why? If you have made this choice, than you like what Souza is doing and you want to provide stability/certainty for the current players and recruits.

Of course Souza is going to express confidence something can get done. Why? He wants it to get done. He doesn't want to be out job, making $240k and hunting for a new one with his record. He probably also doesn't want to move his family.

Lastly the investment money. Those "Key Auto Group" dollars are marketing and that is already getting paid back and the project hasn't broken ground. Yes, $4M is a good chunk of change and he got a "name" out of it. That is not much money to tie the AD hands from doing what is right for a program and University. Now if you want to tack on an endowment that pays the coaches annual salary and produces enough additional return to keep up with the rate of the positions pay inflation, maybe, just maybe, we can chat about demanding a certain coach. I would be amazed if the University, even as much as it wants donations, would give up so much for so little.

"Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by Ferrrao1994 View Post
                                What concerns me is that zoomass is a pretty solid team on the road.
                                They are basically the same team from a numbers perspective. I have not seem UMA so I don't know how these two compare in style
                                UNH UMA
                                Record 16-11-1 16-9-3
                                Goals 89/3.18 88/3.14
                                Goals Against 74/2.64 79/2.82
                                PP 21.9% 20.8%
                                PK 79.6% 77.7%
                                Avg. Height/Weight 6' 0.07" / 156.2 6' 0.79" / 186.6
                                Avg Age 22 y 1m 21y 11m
                                So UMA is .75" taller and 2 months younger and a touch worse on special teams

They have both lost to UVM and MC...

Comment

Working...
                                X