Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Hockey 23 - 24: The Barr Crawl to Glory!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Do you really think that Victor would've saved the shots that Boo let in?

I sure don't.
    Likely it would have been worse than 4-0. I think anyone that has watched these two goalies and comes out saying Ostman would do better needs their eyesight and brain health checked.

Comment

Two splits or better will do it for sure, IMO.
      Looking at Maine in a vacuum, 4 wins in the last 4 gets them a 2 seed, 2-3 wins should be a 3 seed and a lone win would be on the bubble. A total collapse sees them enter the postseason below the cutline.

Two splits and a win in the HE QF should get them in.

The games against UMass are monumental. Not just for their own ranking, but knocking the host out of the tournament would go a long way to securing a spot in Springfield instead of Missouri.

But the players can't make the mistake of overlooking Vermont. I don't think they will.
      ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

Looking at Maine in a vacuum, 4 wins in the last 4 gets them a 2 seed, 2-3 wins should be a 3 seed and a lone win would be on the bubble. A total collapse sees them enter the postseason below the cutline.

Two splits and a win in the HE QF should get them in.

The games against UMass are monumental. Not just for their own ranking, but knocking the host out of the tournament would go a long way to securing a spot in Springfield instead of Missouri.

But the players can't make the mistake of overlooking Vermont. I don't think they will.
        ​​​​​​
        I expect them to play angry this weekend, particularly Houle since he already has an aggressive play style. They did not take kindly to getting shutout at home and you could see it on their faces after the horn sounded. I expect Ostman to be in net for one of the games, Boija got a workout this weekend. Mostly likely we will split but Vermont is very inconsistent so who knows. They are exactly .500 on home ice.

Comment

• Originally posted by StillKIA2 View Post

I agree 100%
          both a very good goalies, neither is a consistent all-american

people probably forget that when Jimmy Howard was putting up incredible stats, he was splitting weekends with Frank Doyle…then the year he got most of the games, he went 19-13-7 with good stats, but not like when he split time

I think the record had more to do with not having Colin Shields and Todd Jackson and Dustin Penner around than Howard being over worked. But who’s to say.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post

I think the record had more to do with not having Colin Shields and Todd Jackson and Dustin Penner around than Howard being over worked. But who’s to say.
            I was only referring to jimmy’s gaudy numbers. He split time to get those save percentage and goals against numbers.

think of where boija’s numbers would be if he hadn’t played saturdays against NU and providence after giving up only one goal each of the nights before

Comment

Do you really think that Victor would've saved the shots that Boo let in?

I sure don't.
              Ostman stole more than a few games last season. He sure as hll ain’t stealing any sitting on the bench. and while hindsight is 20/20, he could not have done worse than losing. Ostman was in net when Maine beat Quinnipiac and when they beat and tied BC. no other goalie in the NCAA has a win and a tie against BC this season

if I knew Ostman were injured, I’d stop suggesting that he should get playing time, until then, I say let em platoon.

realize that Boija has not won both nights in a weekend yet and Ostman has done it three times this season (and yes, I understand that the quality of opponents is different)

Comment

Ostman stole more than a few games last season. He sure as hll ain’t stealing any sitting on the bench. and while hindsight is 20/20, he could not have done worse than losing. Ostman was in net when Maine beat Quinnipiac and when they beat and tied BC. no other goalie in the NCAA has a win and a tie against BC this season

if I knew Ostman were injured, I’d stop suggesting that he should get playing time, until then, I say let em platoon.

realize that Boija has not won both nights in a weekend yet and Ostman has done it three times this season (and yes, I understand that the quality of opponents is different)
                Ostman also twice achieved something Boija didn’t… Ostman got pulled twice.

Comment

• Hard to think Maine will sweep Vermont, when was the weekend they looked good both nights, especially on road. If the games were in Orono, Maybe.

No doubt Maine has exceeded expectations, trouble is as season went on those expectations grew and folks started thinking they could compete with anyone.
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Hard to think Maine will sweep Vermont, when was the weekend they looked good both nights, especially on road. If the games were in Orono, Maybe.

No doubt Maine has exceeded expectations, trouble is as season went on those expectations grew and folks started thinking they could compete with anyone.
                    The Ledyard Classic was the last time they played well both nights on the road. Maybe playing for something motivated them? In general though, they don’t tend to put two good nights together.

Comment

I really thought Ostman would get the third period on Saturday after the team went down 4-0. Still a little perplexed Barr didn't make that call to mercy pull Boija.

Comment

• One of my best coaches Fern Flaman used to say, "Good teams overcome bad calls. Great ones don't complain they find a way to win" He played in the NHL and went to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Comment

• Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
                          One of my best coaches Fern Flaman used to say, "Good teams overcome bad calls. Great ones don't complain they find a way to win" He played in the NHL and went to the Hockey Hall of Fame.
                          Sounds like something that a coach of Northeastern would say about officiating.

Comment

• Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
                            One of my best coaches Fern Flaman used to say, "Good teams overcome bad calls. Great ones don't complain they find a way to win" He played in the NHL and went to the Hockey Hall of Fame.
                            Congatulations...works well when the shoe is on the other foot...but again thanks for insight.

Comment

• I’m not sure there are a lot of results this year that are super surprising with the exception of maybe the Merrimack and Lowell games. They are rock bottom of the league though so in that context it makes sense. No doubt Maine has done a tremendous job of finding ways to win, especially against bad teams, but ultimately I don’t see this year’s team being a lot better than last year’s. They are certainly a lot better offensively thanks to the Nadeaus, but on the flip side they are much worse defensively because of Sirota graduating.

It is a little disheartening to see two years in a row of Maine playing their best hockey in November and December then falling off in the second half but I’m sure there are plenty of lessons learned for Barr and he will fix that moving forward. I suspect they both start too early and crank up the intensity too soon.

Beyond that he clearly needs to find a number one defenseman and maybe one or two other dmen who are good in their own zone. I think all of the defensemen individually are fine but as a group they have been a disaster. I also think you need six or seven legit top six forwards and Maine has three great ones and then three who are borderline at best. This has been an issue for close to 20 years now so nothing new.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                I’m not sure there are a lot of results this year that are super surprising with the exception of maybe the Merrimack and Lowell games. They are rock bottom of the league though so in that context it makes sense. No doubt Maine has done a tremendous job of finding ways to win, especially against bad teams, but ultimately I don’t see this year’s team being a lot better than last year’s. They are certainly a lot better offensively thanks to the Nadeaus, but on the flip side they are much worse defensively because of Sirota graduating.

It is a little disheartening to see two years in a row of Maine playing their best hockey in November and December then falling off in the second half but I’m sure there are plenty of lessons learned for Barr and he will fix that moving forward. I suspect they both start too early and crank up the intensity too soon.

Beyond that he clearly needs to find a number one defenseman and maybe one or two other dmen who are good in their own zone. I think all of the defensemen individually are fine but as a group they have been a disaster. I also think you need six or seven legit top six forwards and Maine has three great ones and then three who are borderline at best. This has been an issue for close to 20 years now so nothing new.
                                Your not too far off. Throw in the current coaching staff things are in a much better place.
                                I wouldnt say the d has been a disaster but it needs help and a few key players.

Comment

Working...
                                X