No announcement yet.

Colgate 2023-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, Marmot, for the kind words. That is my hope… if you can’t attend the game and you can’t watch the game on ESPN+ PPV, maybe you can glance at this thread during the game (at your cocktail party) and get ‘a feel’ for it from someone who is there (which you might not get from the CHN app). My thoughts are generally ‘in the moment’ without the help of a video replay, so you get for that which you paid.

Here is a story on the Clarkson game from the Rome, N.Y., paper…
    https://www.romesentinel.com/sports/...ign=user-share

I will be at Friday’s RPI home game, then I will have to miss Saturday’s Senior Night game vs. Union due to a blizzard-postponed make-up event in Amherst, N.Y. Dang! But, then I will be back at it for ECAC Hockey second round in Hamilton, N.Y., and the ECAC ‘final four’ in Lake Placid, N.Y. Then a Regional TBD and the Frozen Four in Saint Paul, Minn. The end is rapidly (and sadly) approaching.

In other ECAC Hockey 2200-seat arena news…
    https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...y-18688965.php

And the McMann Watch continues…
    https://editorinleaf.com/posts/anoth...s-01hq91fsg1r2

How BC still sees the possibilities for the 16-team NCAA tournament (given AHA and CCHA will take slots 15 and 16)…
    “From there, upsets in other conference tournaments can move the cutline up by as much as 4 places. In particular, the ECAC is vulnerable to this as Quinnipiac is the only team above the line right now. If Cornell or Colgate were to win the ECAC tournament (which is very possible!), it would move the cutline up to at least 13.”

Comment

• Union definitely needs a new building. Good for them.

Comment

• Do we think Harder will sit out Gylander one game this weekend?

Comment

• So, if I understand things right, Colgate is locked into third place and Harvard cannot get to fourth place. So, it is Clarkson, Dartmouth, Union and Saint Lawrence battling it out for the fourth and final first-round bye (and second-round host slot). Correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
            So, if I understand things right, Colgate is locked into third place and Harvard cannot get to fourth place. So, it is Clarkson, Dartmouth, Union and Saint Lawrence battling it out for the fourth and final first-round bye (and second-round host slot). Correct?
            You are correct that Colgate can't fall lower than 3rd place. Clarkson and Dartmouth can catch us in total points earned, but in a 2-way tie with Clarkson, we win the head-to-head tiebreaker. In a 2-way tie with Dartmouth, head-to-head is a draw, but we would win the "total league wins" tiebreaker. In a 3-way tie with Clarkson and Dartmouth, we would win the head-to-head (8 points for us vs. 7 points for Dartmouth vs 3 points for Clarkson).

You are also correct that Harvard cannot make it to 4th place. At best, they can tie Clarkson and Dartmouth for 4th place, but would lose a 3-way head-to-head tiebreaker with both teams.
            Colgate '09

Comment

• RPI coach Dave Smith's first season at RPI was 2017-18, which just happens to correspond with my first season back East supporting Colgate (again).
              I met Dave at the Fairbanks, Ak., Goal Rush tournament (in the hotel lobby and again at the tourney press conference), when he was coaching Canisius and I was supporting Nebraska-Omaha. He is a really nice guy, in my opinion, and he represents Renssalaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) well.

Here is Colgate's record against his RPI, starting with our most recent games and going backwards, since 2017-18:

Colgate 5, RPI 5, OT (Colgate wins SO), at RPI on February 10, 2024
              RPI 2, Colgate 1, at Colgate on February 4, 2023
              RPI 5, Colgate 3, at RPI on January 6, 2023
              Colgate 4, RPI 2, at RPI on October 1, 2022, **SCRIMMAGE**
              Colgate 3, RPI 2, at RPI on February 12, 2022
              Colgate 5, RPI 2, at Colgate on November 12, 2021
              Colgate at RPI, on March 13-14-15, 2020, **ECAC QUARTERFINALS CANCELLED DUE TO COVID**
              RPI 4, Colgate 1, at Colgate on February 14, 2020
              RPI 3, Colgate 0, at RPI on January 11, 2020
              Colgate 2, RPI 1, OT, at Colgate on February 23, 2019
              RPI 3, Colgate 1, at RPI on February 1, 2019
              Colgate 2, RPI 0, at Colgate on March 4, 2018, **ECAC FIRST ROUND**
              RPI 1, Colgate 0, at Colgate on March 3, 2018, **ECAC FIRST ROUND**
              Colgate 3, RPI 1, at Colgate on March 2, 2018, **ECAC FIRST ROUND**
              Colgate 5, RPI 2, at RPI on February 24, 2018
              Colgate 3, RPI 0, at Colgate on February 2, 2018

3 ECAC Tournament Games, 11 ECAC Regular Season Games, 1 Scrimmage:
              Colgate 2-1 vs. RPI in ECAC Tournament Games
              Colgate 5-5-1 vs. RPI in ECAC Regular Season Games
              Colgate 1-0 vs. RPI in Scrimmages

P.S. - I consider a 'blow-out' in college hockey to be a final score goal differential of 4 or more. Since the 2017-18 season, in Colgate vs. RPI games, there has never been a 'blow-out' (which is unusual).

Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 02-28-2024, 09:50 PM.

Comment

RPI coach Dave Smith's first season at RPI was 2017-18, which just happens to correspond with my first season back East supporting Colgate (again).
                I met Dave at the Fairbanks, Ak., Goal Rush tournament (in the hotel lobby and again at the tourney press conference), when he was coaching Canisius and I was supporting Nebraska-Omaha. He is a really nice guy, in my opinion, and he represents Renssalaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) well.

Here is Colgate's record against his RPI, starting with our most recent games and going backwards, since 2017-18:

Colgate at RPI, on March 13-14-15, 2020, **ECAC QUARTERFINALS CANCELLED DUE TO COVID**

P.S. - I consider a 'blow-out' in college hockey to be a final score goal differential of 4 or more. Since the 2017-18 season, in Colgate vs. RPI games, there has never been a 'blow-out' (which is unusual).
                He is a nice guy and does represent the institution well. Unfortunately his W-L record hasn't been nearly as successful as the RPI faithful had hoped...leaving his future in Troy in a bit of question.
                Given what Colgate, Dartmouth and Union have been doing with first time head coaches, the locals in Troy are restless to say the least. I am efforting to make the game tomorrow night and will look you up if can pull it off Iowa !
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

RPI coach Dave Smith's first season at RPI was 2017-18, which just happens to correspond with my first season back East supporting Colgate (again).

He’s a nice guy unfortunately he has only one winning season since 2017. Every season except one he’s had over 20 losses. I don’t think this is what RPI had in mind when they fired Seth appert. Most are getting fed up

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

He is a nice guy and does represent the institution well. Unfortunately his W-L record hasn't been nearly as successful as the RPI faithful had hoped...leaving his future in Troy in a bit of question.
                    Given what Colgate, Dartmouth and Union have been doing with first time head coaches, the locals in Troy are restless to say the least. I am efforting to make the game tomorrow night and will look you up if can pull it off Iowa !
                    Didn’t see you posted this wicked till after I posted. Well said

Comment

• Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                      Do we think Harder will sit out Gylander one game this weekend?
                      Have a friend who talked with the backup goalie Friday night postgame... said he was going to start Saturday vs. Clarkson if we won Friday. So yes, I'd bet Carter sits one of the games this weekend.

Comment

• It’s Senior Night on Saturday, so I would think if Carter sits, it would be Friday. Go ‘gate!!!

Comment

• Andrew Takacs is in goal for Colgate.
                          Jack Watson is in goal for RPI.
                          Max Elberty did a great job in ‘Chalk Talk’ tonight talking about equipment technology (sticks and skates).

Colgate’s Ross Mitton scored from Nick Anderson. 5-1 SOG.

Halfway through the first period, it is already getting chippy. Previous play under review from RPI challenge. 5-minute major penalty to Colgate.
                          8-2 SOG.

Wicked, did you make it to tonight’s game?
                          Section 9, Row 6, Seat 9 (next to my fave RPI fans).

RPI PPG. PP over. 9-3 SOG.

Colgate 13, RPI 6, SOG after one.
                          Colgate 1, RPI 1, score after one.

Colgate scored a beauty by Pierson Brandon (from Levi Glasman).

Colgate penalty (Takacs for tripping). Killed.
                          RPI penalty. Killed.
                          RPI penalty. Colgate PPG by Alex DiPaolo (from Nick Anderson and Brett Chorske).

What an incredible individual effort by Pierson Brandon to score (from Daniel Panetta).

RPI penalty. SHG by RPI after Takacs lost track of it.

Colgate 24, RPI 14, SOG after two.
                          Colgate 4, RPI 2, score after two.

RPI penalty. Killed.
                          RPI penalty called. Takacs to bench for extra man. Colgate scores!! Ross Mitton unassisted.
                          And Colgate scores PPG!! Daniel Panetta from Ethan Manderville and Tommy Bergsland.

Colgate penalty. Killed.
                          RPI penalty. Killed.

Colgate & RPI penalties.

Colgate 34, RPI 23, SOG final.
                          Colgate 6, RPI 2, score final.
                          Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 03-01-2024, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• 7:30 p.m. puck-drop and I am safely back in Owego, N.Y., at 11:30 p.m.
                            I am over-the-moon again tonight after watching two blow-outs at the Class of 1965 Arena in Hamilton, N.Y...
                            Colgate women 5, Brown 1, and
                            Colgate men 6, RPI 2.

I actually felt bad for the Brown women's goalie.
                            She lets in the third Colgate goal and looks up at the scoreboard to see the score 3-0, but also that her team has just 4 SOG at that point. 4 total.
                            How demoralizing would that be??!!

As for the men's game, I sat next to my fave couple from RPI (or, rather, they sat next to me again). They are RPI season ticket-holders and lovely people, but they are just beaten down by RPI's lack of success in the past two decades. I feel for them, too.

I really enjoyed tonight's game as many of this thread's faithful were in attendance, in addition to so many of the players' parents for Senior Weekend.
                            You combine our blowout win with Dartmouth's win, Clarkson's win (at Quinnipiac!) and Cornell's loss (at home!) to Union, and it was just a very satisfying night. It appears that Saint Lawrence is no longer in contention for an opening round bye in the ECAC tournament.

Have fun 'morrow night and Go 'Gate!!

Comment

• 7 and 0 at home, averaging 2.0 GAA, in 2024. Would be amazing if we can achieve 10 and 0 at home in 2024! Union will be tough, as of course will be the quarterfinals matchup.

Let's cheer for RPI to take Cornell to overtime today, and for the Raiders to beat Union. That would give the Raiders the second seed. But I'll be delighted with our #3.

Cornell is now outside the NCAA tournament at-large break, and will need a strong performance in the ECAC playoffs.
                              Last edited by QuasiCosmos; 03-02-2024, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• So it is my understanding that if we get one more point than Cornell on Saturday we are the 2 seed......

i believe we have more wins than them right now and in order to get more than one point better we need to keep that lead. And we would win the points vs the top four as well due to the QU win in regulation.

If im wrong please advise

Comment

Working...
                                X