Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colgate 2023-24

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whoa...where is Iowa's report?
    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

    Comment


    • Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
      Whoa...where is Iowa's report?
      ColSkate65, I had a ticket for the Harvard game and planned on going to it, as I also confirmed my spot in the pre-game Colgate social. But, I was always anxious about Boston area traffic. Then, the weather forecast called for a storm on Sunday. Then, Katie said the pre-game social was full. That’s all it took. I told Katie to cancel my spot and that I would just head home early. When Colgate beat Dartmouth on Saturday night, I had second thoughts about my decision… but I went ahead with it and drove from White River Junction, Vt., to Hamilton, N.Y. (with a lunch stop at Man of Kent Tavern in Hoosick, N.Y.). I arrived just before puck-drop of Dartmouth women at Colgate. I enjoyed seeing Charlie and R. Braden from the men’s side of things. The final score was 5-0 and I was headed 90 minutes home to Owego, just in time to log in on ESPN+ for Colgate at Harvard. I watched the game, saw the 2-0 lead, saw them give it up bigly, and then saw us try to come back. For me, we can criticize Carter Gylander all we want on here as he is responsible for his own actions. He is not responsible for the actions of our forwards. But what we sometimes forget is that he becomes responsible after the inactions of our defensemen. That’s a huge load for one man. We ask a lot of him.
      Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 01-28-2024, 11:39 PM.

      Comment


      • Remaining schedule update. I looked at some of the teams we're battling with for finishing 2nd, third, or fourth place, eliminating the single game elimination.

        Clarkson has four home and six away including Cornell x2, Q-Pac x2, Colgate x2. St Lawrence has the same tough schedule.

        Union has Cornell x2, Q-Pac x1, Colgate x2 They also have four home and six away.

        Colgate has six home and four away, Clarkson x2, SLU x2, Union x2, by far the best remaining schedule.

        We're done with Q-Pac and Cornell which is large. I like our chances for a 1-4 finish and some home ice.
        It all starts with the goaltending.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post

          ColSkate65, I had a ticket for the Harvard game and planned on going to it, as I also confirmed my spot in the pre-game Colgate social. But, I was always anxious about Boston area traffic. Then, the weather forecast called for a storm on Sunday. Then, Katie said the pre-game social was full. That’s all it took. I told Katie to cancel my spot and that I would just head home early. When Colgate beat Dartmouth on Saturday night, I had second thoughts about my decision… but I went ahead with it and drove from White River Junction, Vt., to Hamilton, N.Y. (with a lunch stop at Man of Kent Tavern in Hoosick, N.Y.). I arrived just before puck-drop of Dartmouth women at Colgate. I enjoyed seeing Charlie and R. Braden from the men’s side of things. The final score was 5-0 and I was headed 90 minutes home to Owego, just in time to log in on ESPN+ for Colgate at Harvard. I watched the game, saw the 2-0 lead, saw them give it up bigly, and then saw us try to come back. For me, we can criticize Carter Gylander all we want on here as he is responsible for his own actions. He is not responsible for the actions of our forwards. But what we sometimes forget is that he becomes responsible after the inactions of our defensemen. That’s a huge load for one man. We ask a lot of him.
          MAN OF KENT !! A great spot Iowa...well done !!!
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

          Comment


          • Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
            ColSkate65, I had a ticket for the Harvard game and planned on going to it, as I also confirmed my spot in the pre-game Colgate social. But, I was always anxious about Boston area traffic. Then, the weather forecast called for a storm on Sunday. Then, Katie said the pre-game social was full. That’s all it took. I told Katie to cancel my spot and that I would just head home early.
            Aww, shucks! I was at the pregame event on Saturday and missed a chance to chat with you Iowa. Some former players were there and Coach Harder did drop by, although I didn't get a chance to speak with him. The game, meanwhile... ughhh. I'll leave it at that.
            Colgate '09

            Comment


            • Dang, Rainman, that was my loss!! I would have enjoyed visiting with you.
              When it is just me, I can talk myself in and out of things really fast. I should have listened to the other voices in my head.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                Dang, Rainman, that was my loss!! I would have enjoyed visiting with you.
                When it is just me, I can talk myself in and out of things really fast. I should have listened to the other voices in my head.
                If it's any consolation to the voice you listened to, Route 20 from Hamilton to Sharon Springs was slippery & foggy Sunday morning. You picked the better driving day!

                Comment


                • Thanks, Gate83. I actually took Route 20 on Saturday, from Duanesburg to Madison/Bouckville. I stopped in Richfield Springs at the historical society to see if they had any results from the speedway there, 1948-55. But, alas, they were closed for the winter. However, it was clear sailing all the way to Hamilton and then on to Newark Valley/Owego.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                    Remaining schedule update. I looked at some of the teams we're battling with for finishing 2nd, third, or fourth place, eliminating the single game elimination.

                    Clarkson has four home and six away including Cornell x2, Q-Pac x2, Colgate x2. St Lawrence has the same tough schedule.

                    Union has Cornell x2, Q-Pac x1, Colgate x2 They also have four home and six away.

                    Colgate has six home and four away, Clarkson x2, SLU x2, Union x2, by far the best remaining schedule.

                    We're done with Q-Pac and Cornell which is large. I like our chances for a 1-4 finish and some home ice.
                    St Lawrence is also in the mix for a top 4 spot. We have Clarkson, SLU, and Union next 3 games.

                    Comment


                    • Random questions on a Wednesday night...

                      Who is/are the injured Colgate player(s) currently? Just Nic Belpedio?

                      Has anyone clearly articulated the reason(s) for making the ECAC Hockey first round series a one-n-done affair? Just money (1 vs. possible 3 days)?

                      I don't watch much PPV college hockey, as I am usually at a live game. But tonight, I am watching BU at Northeastern on ESPN+ and the picture is so clear and crisp that the players seem to be popping out on my screen. Are all PPV productions like that now? Or is it a function of the cameras used by the individual production teams? Just a function of the provider (FloHockey vs. ESPN+)?

                      Finally, the 'one minute remaining in the period' message by the arena p.a. announcer at college hockey games... is that mandated by the conference or the NCAA? Just a long-held tradition?

                      Thanks!

                      P.S. - While watching tonight's game on ESPN+, Zach Lamont and I were messaging about Colgate's history in the NCAA tournament. I was at the 11-1 drubbing of Colgate by Michigan last year in Allentown, Penna., but, until tonight, I didn't realize that you would have to go back to the 1961 NCAA tournament to find an equally lop-sided final score... Denver 12, Saint Lawrence 2, on March 18, 1961. Wow!!
                      P.P.S. - And in March of 1960... Michigan Tech 13, Saint Lawrence 3. And, finally, in March of 1954... Minnesota 14, Boston College 1. Wow again!!




                      Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 01-30-2024, 08:54 PM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                        Random questions on a Wednesday night...

                        Who is/are the injured Colgate player(s) currently? Just Nic Belpedio?

                        Has anyone clearly articulated the reason(s) for making the ECAC Hockey first round series a one-n-done affair? Just money (1 vs. possible 3 days)?

                        I don't watch much PPV college hockey, as I am usually at a live game. But tonight, I am watching BU at Northeastern on ESPN+ and the picture is so clear and crisp that the players seem to be popping out on my screen. Are all PPV productions like that now? Or is it a function of the cameras used by the individual production teams? Just a function of the provider (FloHockey vs. ESPN+)?

                        Finally, the 'one minute remaining in the period' message by the arena p.a. announcer at college hockey games... is that mandated by the conference or the NCAA? Just a long-held tradition?
                        1. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that Belpedio is done for the season. This only gives us 6 defensemen for the remainder of the 2023-24 campaign. An uphill climb for sure.

                        2. I don't remember the reason why the first round was changed to single elimination. But I don't like it.

                        3. I think every home team in both ECAC Hockey and Hockey East are responsible for producing a broadcast and uploading it to ESPN+. So in 2 weekends from now when Colgate visits RPI, I'll compare that to our home games this weekend.

                        4. "One minute remaining in the period" has been happening in both college and NHL games as far back as I can remember. It's a nice warning that the period is about to end. Why the NBA announces "2 minutes" when hockey announces "1 minute" baffles me.

                        And in my pep band days, we would chant "and (other team) still sucks" in response to the 1 minute warning at the 1st, 3rd, and overtime periods. At the 1 minute mark of the 2nd period, it would always be "and Cornell still sucks", regardless of the opponent.
                        Colgate '09

                        Comment


                        • I’m unaware of anyone other than Belpedio who is injured.

                          Probably poor attendance for the 1st round playoff games was the reason our league went to one game.

                          I’ve watched College and NHL games on ESPN+ for a few years now and have been very happy with the picture quality. And it’s very affordable.

                          Not just college but PA announcers in the AHL and NHL always announce that there’s 1 minute left in the period. Probably other leagues too. I go to Adirondack Thunder games in Glens Falls (ECHL) and they announce it there.

                          Comment


                          • I second Rainman’s post!

                            Comment


                            • I third Rainman's post!!! Sebastian Tamburro (our #13) is missing from the lineup. I love ESPN+ !!! Go 'gate!

                              Comment


                              • Huge upcoming weekend; need a minimum of 4 points and ideally all six.

                                Go ‘gate.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X