Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last nights game was great. The boys played hard made a few mistakes but overall a great game to watch. Good turnout as well which is nice to see.

Comment

• I think RPI has a really beaten down fanbase, yet a very loyal one. I remember feeling like there was a huge community during the 19-20 run and again in the 22 playoffs. Last night didn’t really lead me towards any conclusions about the roster or the coach or even the brutal defense , I just felt removed from the miserable season it’s been when Hotson scored and was genuinely just excited. Honestly first time all year at that level of excitement. I think that’s the type of goal that keeps you coming back and reminds us that RPI is special with the building that full.

Comment

• Originally posted by marty74 View Post

It was bizarre and I hope we hear the back story but I'm guessing that's just a dream. The guy who I think was thrown looks like Comic Book Guy from "The Simpsons". Maybe he sounds like him too.
        One of the refs was RPI hockey alum CJ Hanifin. Great game and crowd. Like the old dats.

Comment

• Originally posted by CMcGarvey View Post
          I think RPI has a really beaten down fanbase, yet a very loyal one. I remember feeling like there was a huge community during the 19-20 run and again in the 22 playoffs. Last night didn’t really lead me towards any conclusions about the roster or the coach or even the brutal defense , I just felt removed from the miserable season it’s been when Hotson scored and was genuinely just excited. Honestly first time all year at that level of excitement. I think that’s the type of goal that keeps you coming back and reminds us that RPI is special with the building that full.
          I watched the game from home (due to illness) but could feel the energy. Been a long, long time since we've had that in the old barn.

Comment

• All 5 goals are on the team's twitter account https://twitter.com/RPI_Hockey? . I won't post individual links because it is simpler just to fix the link on the left and go to each tweet. Some are definitely worth watching including Hotson's tying goal.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Despite the shootout loss. It was a great game. Watson should not feel bad. If it weren’t for him, RPI would have been down 4 or 5 to 1 in the first. I loved the hard work and the grit and the effort to come back each and every time. What I saw last night is a team that could play far better than what they have.

The real question for me is will this effort be a one and done or the start of the climb upwards? There are so many teams I watch at every level: the women’s team, other men’s teams, the Montreal Canadiens and others where the team plays far better than they look on paper. They put the frustration and discouragement aside and put on an effort every game that is fun to watch. I certainly hope this team learned that last night. Because the record can still be sub .500 and people will come to watch.

Comment

Compared to the radio crew he's a cross between Bob Costas and Howard Cosell. How's that for a nonsequitur?

He's a nice young kid and I predict he'll get better.
                Agree 100% He clearly likes hockey and supports it on his radio show and I think he's the reason that Smitty, the A.D., etc. get as much attention on his station and on his show.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Compared to the radio crew he's a cross between Bob Costas and Howard Cosell. How's that for a nonsequitur?

He's a nice young kid and I predict he'll get better.
                  Are you really comparing a guy with tons of paid experience broadcasting games, both at Quinnipiac and now RPI, and a guy who has his own radio show with the biggest sports media company in the world to students/alums who have their own lives and jobs outside of radio, and some who this is their only broadcasting experience?

Last edited by jericho; 02-11-2024, 01:59 PM.
                  Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• smith needs to go he is not a top level coach if you want to be mediocre thats fine. appert has us wining big games had talent goalie and scoring wise and we were fun to watch and did make ncaa

Comment

• Originally posted by puckit717 View Post
                      smith needs to go he is not a top level coach if you want to be mediocre thats fine. appert has us wining big games had talent goalie and scoring wise and we were fun to watch and did make ncaa
                      you do realize Seth had a sub-.500 record too right?

and even in the ONE year the team made the NCAA’s, 1) they backed in after they lost to last place Brown at home in the first round of the ECAC playoffs and 2) got blown out by North Dakota in the aforementioned NCAA playoff game in a game that wasn’t that exciting.

Seth treated the Freakout as just another game and not the biggest game of the year, I think his teams maybe won one or two in his tenure, whereas his predecessor was 14-0 in Freakouts. Matt Murley, on the bench during the legendary Clarkson comeback, told his team “At RPI, we don’t lose Freakouts” and the rest was history.

but hey, at least Seth was a nice guy.
                      Last edited by jericho; 02-12-2024, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jericho View Post
                        1) they backed in after they lost to last place Brown at home in the first round of the ECAC playoffs
                        It was Colgate that knocked them out in a 3 game series. That was a really disappointing weekend, but RPI's inclusion in the tournament was by the book--i.e., they were 13 or 14 in the Pairwise formula after a couple of electrifying home wins against BU and Yale which gained some serious ranking points. I do remember RPI's NCAA participation was criticized (by Cornell, I think, which I recall was the last team out, but had the same ECAC record as RPI, swept the season series against RPI, and lost in the ECAC championship game).

I've pointed out Seth's overall record and poor playoff record several times here, but to be fair to him, I think the 15-16 team that enjoyed superb goaltending by Jason Kasdorf was a potential NCAA team, but the Pairwise wasn't good enough after RPI was comfortably beaten by Harvard in the second round (after RPI had beaten and tied Harvard in the regular season).

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

It was Colgate that knocked them out in a 3 game series. That was a really disappointing weekend, but RPI's inclusion in the tournament was by the book--i.e., they were 13 or 14 in the Pairwise formula after a couple of electrifying home wins against BU and Yale which gained some serious ranking points. I do remember RPI's NCAA participation was criticized (by Cornell, I think, which I recall was the last team out, but had the same ECAC record as RPI, swept the season series against RPI, and lost in the ECAC championship game).

I've pointed out Seth's overall record and poor playoff record several times here, but to be fair to him, I think the 15-16 team that enjoyed superb goaltending by Jason Kasdorf was a potential NCAA team, but the Pairwise wasn't good enough after RPI was comfortably beaten by Harvard in the second round (after RPI had beaten and tied Harvard in the regular season).
                          I agree it was by the book, but they still backed in. A couple of upsets in other tournaments and they’re out.

Comment

• One thought experiment I found more worthwhile is if Appert would have been more successful in the transfer portal era. The transfer portal generally hurts a school like RPI, but Apps was an excellent recruiter and I wonder if he would have succeeded in this environment if he were still in the college game. Can't guarantee that top talent would not have been plucked from him as well though. I bring this up because what held him back was teams directly after his most successful ones, where all the top scoring would graduate and the following team would be bad because it had no scoring. I.E, 11-12, 14-15. Perhaps he would have maintained his momentum if this were the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by CMcGarvey View Post
                              One thought experiment I found more worthwhile is if Appert would have been more successful in the transfer portal era. The transfer portal generally hurts a school like RPI, but Apps was an excellent recruiter and I wonder if he would have succeeded in this environment if he were still in the college game. Can't guarantee that top talent would not have been plucked from him as well though. I bring this up because what held him back was teams directly after his most successful ones, where all the top scoring would graduate and the following team would be bad because it had no scoring. I.E, 11-12, 14-15. Perhaps he would have maintained his momentum if this were the case.
                              Again, to be fair to Seth, losing Pirri and D’Amigo in the same year because of the pros (terrible decision by D’Amigo it turns out) really set that team back, and Laliberte turned out to be a huge disappointment scoring-wise.

Comment

• This thread is officially closed. :-D

New thread https://fanforum.uscho.com/forum/col...ams-excellence
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X