Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im not sure this still applies but It is my understanding that the HFH is a seperate entity and the hockey program actually rents the field house for the games and to the extent that ticket sales do not cover the rent the residual comes out of the hockey budget. I first heard of it during the Adessa era renovation it was a component of the paying for it (on paper at least). I know it was still "a thing during the SA era thats why he was so obsessed with putting fannys in the seats. If it's still true these attendance numbers puts a huge strain on the program . COVID may have changed this arrangement but it's still $$$ lost. It's been a while and my memory is a bit foggy so I may have some of this wrong but the essence is corect.
    What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by troyboy View Post
      Im not sure this still applies but It is my understanding that the HFH is a seperate entity and the hockey program actually rents the field house for the games and to the extent that ticket sales do not cover the rent the residual comes out of the hockey budget. I first heard of it during the Adessa era renovation it was a component of the paying for it (on paper at least). I know it was still "a thing during the SA era thats why he was so obsessed with putting fannys in the seats. If it's still true these attendance numbers puts a huge strain on the program . COVID may have changed this arrangement but it's still $$$ lost. It's been a while and my memory is a bit foggy so I may have some of this wrong but the essence is corect.
      As always, spot on, that's why the Great One would schedule good teams not only for the level of competition but to bring in the great players and programs. During that era, you would see a Cole Makar, Jack Eichel, Jaden Schwartz. For this reason, among many others, SA will always be Troyalty.
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post

Progressing forward a problem for Dave is going be the lack of folks going to the game. Attendance is atrocious. Zero buzz around town. We're on pace for 6 wins. Tough stuff. It was great to see Perry at the game Friday though.
        Attendance is horrible. I’ve been going to games for 20 years season ticket holder for 13 of those years the vibe in the field house is the worst I’ve ever seen. It’s like they expect to lose. Past couple weeks when they announce the starting lineup at the end they announce the coaches and Dave is getting booed when he is announced. It’s ridiculous
        6 wins but man we looked good in those 6 wins. Team played great lol

Comment

• Attendance has been off and there are many factors for this....not the least of which was Shirley shutting down the program for the better part of two years. But RPI is not alone in attendance woes. Colgate can't seem to fill a quarter of their beautiful new rink and they won the league last year. Attending the Clarkson road game earlier this fall, their attendance was not at all what it once was...ditto for SLU. The fact that you can stream the games at home doesn't help put fannies in the seats....but winning some meaningful home games and fielding a competitive ECAC squad certainly would go a long way to boost numbers.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Sezenack et al. speaking to Coach Smith today.

https://thefieldhouse.substack.com/p...ay-on-substack
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Been a season ticket holder for about 35 years. I do not expect miracles. What I expect is good, competitive hockey. When Covid hit, I subscribed to ESPN+ and still do and watch away games as well. I thought this weekend they showed improvement. More consistent play and willingness to go to the dirty areas.

I think there are a lot of factors in the poor attendance: we do not live in a hockey hotbed like Boston or Minnesota. The River Rats/Devils could not make a go of it here. And there are more things to do here versus where Clarkson, SLU, North Dakota, etc.. And it’s time to move on from Covid and Shirley. The days when I would watch the news and see the students camping out in line in front of the fieldhouse to get tickets are long gone.

What will bring more people to games is a team that is competitive with the rest of college hockey. Hopefully the improvement I saw this weekend will translate to more wins and no blowouts when they lose. I think thinking the

Comment

• Hey Ralph I have a suggestion for the next thread "RPI The Excuse of the Week Club"...A Compilation of what We can't do and who's fault it is. I'll do the first post We can't recruit great players because our locker room isn't a nice as Quinnipiacs and its Bob Ducattes fault and of course COVID !
                What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hey Ralph I have a suggestion for the next thread "RPI The Excuse of the Week Club"...A Compilation of what We can't do and who's fault it is. I'll do the first post We can't recruit great players because our locker room isn't a nice as Quinnipiacs and its Bob Ducattes fault and of course COVID !
                  My suggestion bro for a new thread title:
                  RPI Hockey 2023 -24: Beam Us Up Captain Kirk (McDonald)
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Hey Ralph I have a suggestion for the next thread "RPI The Excuse of the Week Club"...A Compilation of what We can't do and whose fault it is. I'll do the first post We can't recruit great players because our locker room isn't a nice as Quinnipiacs and its Bob Ducattes fault and of course COVID !
                    I’ll do the second post we can’t beat ranked teams cause our concession stand is outdated and we had covid 3.5 years ago and it’s Shirley’s fault.

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                      My suggestion bro for a new thread title:
                      RPI Hockey 2023 -24: Beam Us Up Captain Kirk (McDonald)
                      Please beam us up to Captain Kirk McDonald the sooner the better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Engineers View Post

Please beam us up to Captain Kirk McDonald the sooner the better.
                        I would love to see an alum behind the bench. It would be great for the team and for recruiting to see that kind of loyalty to the program.
                        My first choice would be Oates. (what is he doing now?).
                        But Smith will be here for the rest of the year, so lets see where we go from here. We all want the same thing. A competitive team that wins enough to get to Lake Placid and to the big dance.
                        It has been way to long.
                        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                        Benjamin Franklin
                        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                        Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

I would love to see an alum behind the bench. It would be great for the team and for recruiting to see that kind of loyalty to the program.
                          My first choice would be Oates. (what is he doing now?).
                          But Smith will be here for the rest of the year, so lets see where we go from here. We all want the same thing. A competitive team that wins enough to get to Lake Placid and to the big dance.
                          It has been way to long.
                          Oates consults and works with NHL / pro players on faceoffs, situational play etc... (he was pictured this summer after a session with Crosby). I doubt he'd be interested in late night bus trips or driving through snowstorms on recruiting trips.

Smitty is under contract through '26-'27 season. Do we think RPI would be willing to eat the balance of the contract ? ( I honestly have no idea if they would or not...)
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

Oates consults and works with NHL / pro players on faceoffs, situational play etc... (he was pictured this summer after a session with Crosby). I doubt he'd be interested in late night bus trips or driving through snowstorms on recruiting trips.

Smitty is under contract through '26-'27 season. Do we think RPI would be willing to eat the balance of the contract ? ( I honestly have no idea if they would or not...)
                            In my opinion, Smith's fate will be decided by how the team does the rest of the season. If they continue improving as they have done the last two weeks he will stay. I don't think we had much of a chance of winning any of the other games besides for Union in Troy, SLU, and Princeton. (And a split in the North Country is better than many very good RPI teams have done.)

I agree that Oates is unlikely to be interested in becoming RPI's coach.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

In my opinion, Smith's fate will be decided by how the team does the rest of the season. If they continue improving as they have done the last two weeks he will stay. I don't think we had much of a chance of winning any of the other games besides for Union in Troy, SLU, and Princeton. (And a split in the North Country is better than many very good RPI teams have done.)

I agree that Oates is unlikely to be interested in becoming RPI's coach.
                              Uh Oh !!!! I think Ralph has been day drinking. Not having "much of a chance of winning any of the other games" is the whole point !

Comment

Uh Oh !!!! I think Ralph has been day drinking. Not having "much of a chance of winning any of the other games" is the whole point !
                                IMO, winning will get us better players.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X