Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2023-24: In Our 200th Year, We're Getting It Right

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

    We got that 3 goal lead in about 1+ minute. Then had a full 40 minutes to just try to play even and we could not do it. 100% correct - special teams, defense and fundamentals have to be the responsibility of the coaches.
    I turned it off after the slu tied it up. It was like watching an oncoming train wreck. We hired a 3rd coach this year. Seems to be working out well.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

      After watching all of the games this season, I have come to the conclusion that we just don't have the personnel.
      We don't have a single defensive minded player on this team. I would love to see the time of possession for all the games.
      We are stuck in the defensive zone for most of the game, and we only get a couple of minutes in the offensive zone where we are lucky to get a shot off.
      The offense suffers from having to spend most of their shifts defending.
      The special teams are an embarrassment. I am sure that the coaching staff is frustrated, and the special teams performance is going to cost them their jobs.
      Just the way it is.
      All true. If it was up to me I would fire the whole staff Monday morning and get on the horn with McDonald, tapper, Dumais etc…anyone but this ****. Marty Schmidt and the new AD want to turn the program around well here’s your chance. Start busting out the $$$ cause that’s what it takes to win. Top coaches, facilities, recruiting budgets etc… it’s gonna cost you. What we’re watching now is balderdash.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Engineers View Post
        I turned it off after the slu tied it up. It was like watching an oncoming train wreck. We hired a 3rd coach this year. Seems to be working out well.
        I made the trip to Appleton. SLU lost Friday to Union and came out flying last night. SLU started their backup goalie, Grant Adams, who's only appearance this season was a month ago (a loss to UVM). They dominated the first 10 minutes of the game and Cherepak made save after save to keep it scoreless. When RPI finally get the puck into the SLU zone, Adams seemed caught off guard and gave up the 2 quick goals. Then SLU pulled Adams and put in Kraws, their #1 guy. He gave up a quick goal to make 3-0 but shut the door the rest of the night.

        On the offensive side, SLU was faster and won a lot of battles for the puck. Gavars is a special player. RPI's effort was good but SLU gave them all they could handle. Defensively, this was an improvement from prior weeks. More blocked shots, more breaking up plays, and just overall smarter play on defense. The real weakness is special teams - SLU 3/5 on the PP. PK is down to 70% and power play is second-worst in the country, behind only Yale, which has yet to score a PPG this season. Cherepak was solid. So, some positives but still some areas that need big improvements, and soon.

        This was my first trip to Appleton. Fun place to watch a game. A classic old barn, even with the $10 million renovation a few years ago.

        Comment


        • Blowing leads is nothing new. Not the same team obviously, but in the 2022 playoffs we blew a 3 goal lead to Harvard in 4 minutes only to lose in OT.

          Also the same bunch responsible for the no - show in last seasons one game home playoff loss to Yale, which was only Yale's 7th win of the year. Good times.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by vicious View Post

            I made the trip to Appleton. SLU lost Friday to Union and came out flying last night. SLU started their backup goalie, Grant Adams, who's only appearance this season was a month ago (a loss to UVM). They dominated the first 10 minutes of the game and Cherepak made save after save to keep it scoreless. When RPI finally get the puck into the SLU zone, Adams seemed caught off guard and gave up the 2 quick goals. Then SLU pulled Adams and put in Kraws, their #1 guy. He gave up a quick goal to make 3-0 but shut the door the rest of the night.

            On the offensive side, SLU was faster and won a lot of battles for the puck. Gavars is a special player. RPI's effort was good but SLU gave them all they could handle. Defensively, this was an improvement from prior weeks. More blocked shots, more breaking up plays, and just overall smarter play on defense. The real weakness is special teams - SLU 3/5 on the PP. PK is down to 70% and power play is second-worst in the country, behind only Yale, which has yet to score a PPG this season. Cherepak was solid. So, some positives but still some areas that need big improvements, and soon.

            This was my first trip to Appleton. Fun place to watch a game. A classic old barn, even with the $10 million renovation a few years ago.
            Well that’s frightening if yesterday an improvement defensively. Could of fooled everyone

            Comment


            • Some sad news this week that people may have already heard, but the obituary was only published this morning. Bill Anslow, who works the penalty boxes/scoring table as an off-ice official at HFH, and had done so for a number of years, passed away earlier this week. Really nice person and I always enjoyed chatting with him pre-game at HFH.

              Obit here:https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...ry?id=53569585

              Comment


              • Was looking at the stats according to USCHO. And some of the numbers are downright appalling:
                Out of 64 teams…
                Team Offense 35th (middle of the pack)
                Team Defense T-62nd (with Army)
                Power Play percentage 64th (dead last)
                Penalty Kill percentage 57th (and dropping)
                Goaltending- Cherepak 71st, Watson 80th (out of 81)

                How this team managed to win 2 games is astounding.
                Or as Charlie Brown once said to Lucy, tell your statistics to shut up…

                Comment


                • Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                  Some sad news this week that people may have already heard, but the obituary was only published this morning. Bill Anslow, who works the penalty boxes/scoring table as an off-ice official at HFH, and had done so for a number of years, passed away earlier this week. Really nice person and I always enjoyed chatting with him pre-game at HFH.

                  Obit here:https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...ry?id=53569585
                  Bill loved his Engineers. Pleasant man. Rest in Peace.
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by DavidSec17 View Post
                    Blowing leads is nothing new. Not the same team obviously, but in the 2022 playoffs we blew a 3 goal lead to Harvard in 4 minutes only to lose in OT.

                    Also the same bunch responsible for the no - show in last seasons one game home playoff loss to Yale, which was only Yale's 7th win of the year. Good times.
                    +1
                    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Engineers View Post
                      Reilly was very good but I think the team played with more confidence knowing they had savory
                      Behind them if they made a mistake. The second half they scored more because they were taking more chances because savory was backstopping them. That’s not the whole picture but it’s a very big part of why they were good that year. Reilly was also a appert recruit. If savory wasn’t on the team that year would they have been that good? I don’t think so. Kudos to Dan jewell for finding savory.
                      I agree the schedule this year was brutal to start and most people didn’t think they would beat bc,pc maine but it’s the way they have been beaten. Team play has been really bad with a veteran team. The union series was ridiculous. I’m not giving up on them just yet but something has to change. This weekend will be a really tough.
                      I would also note Burgess played well. I think Seth took a flyer on him bx he had a history of injuries. Todd also worked hard to get back after his injuries at RPI.
                      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by AspyDad View Post

                        I would also note Burgess played well. I think Seth took a flyer on him bx he had a history of injuries. Todd also worked hard to get back after his injuries at RPI.
                        A flyer?? He had 95 points in Fairbanks and was a 4th round pick.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by CMcGarvey View Post

                          A flyer?? He had 95 points in Fairbanks and was a 4th round pick.
                          Good point, Seth brought in talent.
                          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by AspyDad View Post

                            I would also note Burgess played well. I think Seth took a flyer on him bx he had a history of injuries. Todd also worked hard to get back after his injuries at RPI.
                            Yeah I forgot to mention burgess. He played very well that year.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                              Good point, Seth brought in talent.
                              Seth definitely brought in talent. How many NHL picks did he bring in? I wouldn’t be surprised to see him behind the bench in the NHL soon.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by AspyDad View Post

                                I would also note Burgess played well. I think Seth took a flyer on him bx he had a history of injuries. Todd also worked hard to get back after his injuries at RPI.
                                I agree with you on Burgess that season. Injuries totally derailed Burgess, who had an impressive stat line his last year in juniors. He had committed to RPI and then blew out his knee in an NHL development camp and missed his first season at RPI entirely. He developed into a good two-way player for RPI and in his grad season with MSU Mankato. He's also been productive as a pro, and he's nearly a point-a-game player this season overseas.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X