• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sezenack et al's take on our defense and goalies

https://thefieldhouse.substack.com/p...medium=reader2
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckfan90 View Post

Appreciate the advice rpi82 and Doc! I'm leaning towards going to see the Guelph on Sunday. Would be the chance to go see, a new to me Canadian team, and I'll likely catch Union another time later this season.
      I am not 100% sure but I think I recall we have played Guelph at least once before. I remember it was when we had a very powerful team (either the 1984 version or the great 1985 edition) but that the game was low scoring and incredibly close and hard fought. Not sure if we had taken them lightly or they had one of their best years but i seem to remember being very surprised that were not able to win easily. Perhaps one of the other elder posters can recall the details better.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

I am not 100% sure but I think I recall we have played Guelph at least once before. I remember it was when we had a very powerful team (either the 1984 version or the great 1985 edition) but that the game was low scoring and incredibly close and hard fought. Not sure if we had taken them lightly or they had one of their best years but i seem to remember being very surprised that were not able to win easily. Perhaps one of the other elder posters can recall the details better.
        don’t get much elder than you and Ralph :-D

Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• They only played each other once. It was the opening game of the National Championship Season. They beat Guelph by a 13-6 score. 11/3/84. It was hardly low scoring…

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

I agree with that. I just don't know if they will carry scrimmages or exhibition games.
            Neither of this weekend's games show up on the ESPN+ upcoming broadcasts list. However, both Maine games as well as BC and Providence will be available in coming weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
              They only played each other once. It was the opening game of the National Championship Season. They beat Guelph by a 13-6 score. 11/3/84. It was hardly low scoring…
              Just one touchdown difference. ;-)
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• In honor of Lauri Sertti, today is 4 October 2023. There are 3 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 7 October 2023 for the start of next season.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

They only played each other once. It was the opening game of the National Championship Season. They beat Guelph by a 13-6 score. 11/3/84. It was hardly low scoring…
                  Well i was half right so I get partial credit. I knew we played once and was fairly sure it was during that stretch when we were almost unbeatable. Could not remember the score at all but there were a couple games early in the season that we played close scoring or lost. We were at almost all the games once we got into November. Interesting that the best team we ever had gave up 6 goals in that Guelph game.

Comment

• Originally posted by jericho View Post

don’t get much elder than you and Ralph :-D
                    Personally we do not celebrate birthdays any more. just anniversaries. This year will be almost the 40th anniversary for me of my 39th birthday!
                    Last edited by DrDemento; 10-04-2023, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Smitty did an extended in-studio appearance on Wyland's radio show yesterday. Some good insights into Smitty's thoughts on the squad, schedule and coaching staff...including a different approach they are taking with the coaches and areas of responsibility this season. I don't see a link to the interview, but hopefully they'll post it today, as they have in the past with the weekly segments.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

Neither of this weekend's games show up on the ESPN+ upcoming broadcasts list. However, both Maine games as well as BC and Providence will be available in coming weeks.
                        Thank you. Now I have to wonder if they will be on WRPI as the football team will also be playing on Saturday.
                        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                        Benjamin Franklin
                        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                        Gary Player

Comment

• I am not 100% sure but I think I recall we have played Guelph at least once before. I remember it was when we had a very powerful team (either the 1984 version or the great 1985 edition) but that the game was low scoring and incredibly close and hard fought. Not sure if we had taken them lightly or they had one of their best years but i seem to remember being very surprised that were not able to win easily. Perhaps one of the other elder posters can recall the details better.

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                          Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Well i was half right so I get partial credit. I knew we played once and was fairly sure it was during that stretch when we were almost unbeatable. Could not remember the score at all but there were a couple games early in the season that we played close scoring or lost. We were at almost all the games once we got into November. Interesting that the best team we ever had gave up 6 goals in that Guelph game.
                          Your memory of a surprisingly close game is not quite as faulty as it seems. However, it was not Guelph in the first home game of the championship season.

The surprisingly close game was a year prior on 11/4/1983, the first home game after the massive Fieldhouse renovation. They actually needed overtime to beat Mount Allison 2-1. However, the next night they beat the Mount 6-1.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Your memory of a surprisingly close game is not quite as faulty as it seems. However, it was not Guelph in the first home game of the championship season.

The surprisingly close game was a year prior on 11/4/1983, the first home game after the massive Fieldhouse renovation. They actually needed overtime to beat Mount Allison 2-1. However, the next night they beat the Mount 6-1.

Comment

• Well i was half right so I get partial credit. I knew we played once and was fairly sure it was during that stretch when we were almost unbeatable. Could not remember the score at all but there were a couple games early in the season that we played close scoring or lost. We were at almost all the games once we got into November. Interesting that the best team we ever had gave up 6 goals in that Guelph game.[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Originally posted by tony/troy View Post

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post

Thanks - now I feel a bit better! i knew one of those years we played a Canadian team and was shocked when we could not score much against them. Jenny and I missed only 1 or 2 games total those two seasons. We traveled to almost all the games along with the home games.

Comment

Working...
                                X