Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU '23-'24 Season: Pandomania

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The next 3 games against Providence will be very challenging!

    Comment


    • It would be great if they could actually step up in the Beanpot for a change.
      Boston University CAS'88

      GO BU!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

        And I don't think this had anything to do with it but will bring it up again - NU didn't have a game this past weekend. Was fatigue a factor?
        That is an interesting question. I go back a long way and cannot remember NU ever having a week off between BP games. In 2020, the scheduling ghouls had us take a trip to Orono for one game on the interim Friday. Monday night we needed an OT to break a 4-4 tie. That was the game when Zegras tied the game at 19:58 of the third period. Then he *****ed and moaned about a penalty in OT and got 10 meaningless minutes.
        These young guys are in terrific shape,and their conditioning plus Beanpot Adrenalin makes them into Energizer Bunnies. That BU team was worlds away and vastly less talented vs. the 2024 team.

        Comment


        • Too much perimeter play, not enough grit and that infuriating need to make another pass. That works against the UVMs and Merrimacks of the HE world, but as #99 said, “100% of the shots you don’t take don’t go in”.
          Last edited by Fleabag; 02-13-2024, 04:48 PM.

          Comment


          • Maybe the early Pandolfo years will be like the BC teams of the early 2000’s. Not much Beanpot success, but a ton of success in the NCAA Tournament getting to a load of Frozen Fours with several championships. I think I’m up for that. He’s 1 for 1 on getting there so far!

            I’m sure he will get a Beanpot as a head coach at some point relatively soon. It just hasn’t been the last 2 years. We know what it is like to have success in the Beanpot over many, many years running. I remember a few in those early late 90’s and early 2000 years where we didn’t play some of the games so well and won anyway (yes, I am looking at you Northeastern!). They just have it going in this tournament right now. It will end eventually.

            Let’s get on to Providence. I’m interested to see how these 2 teams match up!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              Agreed. Bad call or not, kill the penalty. It was NU's only power play of the game. Kill the penalty. I said that back in 2015 when NU got that penalty in OT and complained. Then it happened to BU. And I said it again. Kill the penalty. I know I'm not out there skating and it's not the easiest thing to do, though NU managed to kill a few so it can be done. The game winning goal was a bit of a cluster**** on BU's part, too. Agreed Caron didn't have his best night. He has shown he can be that goalie, he looked like it last week against BC.

              And I don't think this had anything to do with it but will bring it up again - NU didn't have a game this past weekend. Was fatigue a factor?
              No on the fatigue thing. BU should have been super confident after a 7-1 win at home. And regarding the "kill the penalty" Weber was out there without a stick for a good 20-30 seconds before to goal was scored so it was basically a 5 on 3.

              I'm still mad about this ****ing game. I hope the team is really ****ed off and channels it into the stretch run.
              It Happened!!!!

              Comment


              • BU dominated that game and lost. It happens.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Bomber View Post


                  I'm still mad about this ****ing game. I hope the team is really ****ed off and channels it into the stretch run.
                  I feel ya. I am too.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by BU93 View Post
                    Maybe the early Pandolfo years will be like the BC teams of the early 2000’s. Not much Beanpot success, but a ton of success in the NCAA Tournament getting to a load of Frozen Fours with several championships. I think I’m up for that. He’s 1 for 1 on getting there so far!
                    None of those BC teams won a title without first winning the Beanpot. Frozen Four appearances yes. But BU already did that last year.

                    This team needs to figure out how to play its best and win on the biggest stage. They havent quite done that yet.

                    The advanced metrics posted today by BUHockeyStats is depressing, but indicative of the problems they had yesterday.

                    BU Alum '07

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by joen05 View Post

                      None of those BC teams won a title without first winning the Beanpot. Frozen Four appearances yes. But BU already did that last year.

                      This team needs to figure out how to play its best and win on the biggest stage. They havent quite done that yet.

                      The advanced metrics posted today by BUHockeyStats is depressing, but indicative of the problems they had yesterday.
                      I saw that, also the expected goals from last week's game against BC. I'd imagine those tend to even out.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by J.D. View Post

                        I saw that, also the expected goals from last week's game against BC. I'd imagine those tend to even out.
                        The xG totaled for the three games is 10.9-8.21.

                        Game 1 - BU: 2.4 BC: 2.8
                        Game 2 - BU: 5.8 BC: 1.61
                        Game 3 - BU: 2.7 BC: 3.8

                        I think xG is a good but not conclusive stat. Games 2 and 3 mirrored each other in that one team pounced on the opportunities given while the other controlled possession for large stretches without much result. Game 1 was generally even and could've swayed in either direction with the number of posts BU hit and open nets BC missed.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by J.D. View Post

                          I saw that, also the expected goals from last week's game against BC. I'd imagine those tend to even out.
                          I don't know about you watching it from an outside perspective, but the BC and NU beanpot games felt different. Most of the BU / BC game, in my opinion, was extremely even, with the ice getting tilted heavily towards BC at the end when BU was trying to not lose. The NU game felt like BU was in control most of the time but couldn't do anything with all that control.

                          In the BC game, I felt like Caron saved their bacon several times. In the NU game, Caron was the exact opposite. Had BU won, it would have been despite his play.

                          I think Caron is a decent goalie. However, he has rarely been a game changer for them in a positive manner. BU has been spoiled with game changing goalies recently. There are certainly other issues to address on the team, but if the goalie can be counted on to not give up a softie a game, that will help immensely, and I don't feel that way currently.

                          BU Alum '07

                          Comment


                          • I don't think I even saw NUs first two goals but tough to blame Caron on the final two. With the way BU toyed with NU for much of the game just one of those games you look back on and ask how the hell did we lose that one. But in general Caron is not someone I fear. Every team has to have a designated weak link and he would probably be it. He's fine/good. But if you're going into a game against BU you have to be thinking we can beat him.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              I don't think I even saw NUs first two goals but tough to blame Caron on the final two. With the way BU toyed with NU for much of the game just one of those games you look back on and ask how the hell did we lose that one. But in general Caron is not someone I fear. Every team has to have a designated weak link and he would probably be it. He's fine/good. But if you're going into a game against BU you have to be thinking we can beat him.
                              And you're right, I don't blame Caron for the final two. It has felt like there has been one per game (in this case, the second NU one), even in games that BU wins, that I'm just like... eh, wish he had gotten that one.

                              BU Alum '07

                              Comment


                              • Holy smokes. This thread is a master class in wildly overreacting to one game. I get that BU fans are angry after losing a Beanpot final in which they controlled play from start to finish, but just because the bounces didn't go your way doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the team as a whole. Pretty much every program in the country, including NU, would trade their players for BU's in a heartbeat. It is crazy to suggest this team is "too talented" or "too fancy" or "doesn't finish their chances" or whatever else is being said here. You dominated play, doubled NU's shots on net, and you got unlucky and lost. That's just hockey. If anything, BU's performance in the Beanpot final bolsters, not hinders, its outlook in the NCAA tournament. BU looked fantastic on the big stage. (The only legitimate gripe here is the goaltending. That criticism is fair. The rest of the team looked great though.)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X