This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
    Jay thinks they played a good hockey game. Hmmm. Do you agree?
    Honestly? Yeah. They did play well. They dominated possession. But that alone isn't going to win games. BU has a problem finishing more often than not, and certainly are not strong enough in net currently.

Between the issues finishing and in goal, theyre good for basically spotting their opponents a goal a game. Thats not a winning formula for close games.

BU Alum '07

Comment

• I have been a big fan of Caron after a checkered start. This was not one of his better games. His playing of the angles was off.
      Sometimes it is more difficult for goalies in games when they are seeing so little action.
      Northeastern had eight shots on goal through two periods, and at least two were wide and not actual shots on goal.
      The better team does not always win, which is why goaltender is so important.
      I haven't lost any faith Caron. Just not a good night at the office.

Comment

• Frustrating loss. Agree that much of the game they spend too much time passing to set up the perfect goal when they need to just take the F$&@ing shot! To win a title, we need to buzz like in the Merrimack game. That was us at our best but tonight Willander got sloppy on the winning goal and needed to get control of that puck. I still think we can win with Caron but only if we play our best. He’s unlikely to steal one.
        Frozen Fours: '86, '88, '90, '91, '92, '93, '95, '96, '98, '00, '01, '03, '04, '05, '09, '14, '15

Walter Brown, Agganis, Boston Garden-old/new, Matthews, McHugh, Kelly Rink, Bright, Tsongas, Lawler, Schneider, Providence CC, Alfond, Tully, Portland CC, Centrum, Whittemore, Snively, Hobey Baker Rink, Lynah, MSG, Gutterson, Houston Field House, Ingalls, Smith rink, Davis Rink, Pepsi Center, Bradley Center, St. Paul CC, Fenway, Mullins, Verizon, Joe Louis, HSBC, Nationwide, Messa, Perrotti.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
          The better team does not always win
          Brendan Morrison agrees!

Comment

Jay thinks they played a good hockey game. Hmmm. Do you agree?
            Leaving there last night, all I could think of was "Now I know how Rico Blasi felt. . . "

Comment

• Originally posted by kbz View Post

I’m convinced that they can’t win a national championship with Caron in goal. Need to see what they have in Lacroix - he should get a start this weekend.
              That should have been a 3-1 game.

Comment

• Originally posted by meauxmo View Post

That should have been a 3-1 game.
                I'd say more 2-1, NU gave BU one, BU gave NU 1, and honestly the bad call gave NU one. Gotta get that kill though.

The killer instinct they showed against MC was not there last night. Should have kept it simpler when they were dominating posession and putting more pucks on net. 36 sog but didnt feel like many high danger chances. Caron struggled. Whitehead was very solid.

This BU tean is still a good team. Very good. But they have some work / learning to do if they want to go very far this season.

BU Alum '07

Comment

• Originally posted by joen05 View Post

I'd say more 2-1, NU gave BU one, BU gave NU 1, and honestly the bad call gave NU one. Gotta get that kill though.

The killer instinct they showed against MC was not there last night. Should have kept it simpler when they were dominating posession and putting more pucks on net. 36 sog but didnt feel like many high danger chances. Caron struggled. Whitehead was very solid.

This BU tean is still a good team. Very good. But they have some work / learning to do if they want to go very far this season.
                  Jay was right that BU outplayed NU all three periods. True they didn't finish but you cannot give up two softies.

Comment

They played tight all night. On the big stage under the bright lights, they wilted. This team is missing an intangible. An “it” factor.

Time to say **** it and just play. You can’t soar if you’re trapped in your own head.

Brutal loss.

Having said that, the 3 on 3 OT for this tournament is a joke. (They still probably would have lost, but still … ). **** sandwich night.
                    I typically view any game tied at end of regulation as... a tie, which standings and PWR-wise it virtually is. Thinking this way doesn't play at the 'pot. I would favor BU in a real OT scenario. We'll never know.

I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• That penalty call on BU was not the deciding factor. It was a giveback for a crosscheck by BU a minute or two before that they missed.

BU lost the game by not converting the opportunities they had to get separation or to take the lead late in the 3rd. They dominated possession and shots, but that counts for nothing - and they instead let NU hang around and gain confidence.

Where they played opportunistic and structured hockey last Monday, they played tight, not-to-lose D tonight and Caron had a bad game. Officiating wasn't the problem.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by navy44 View Post

You are correct, NU will not win a national championship this year. That said, since they got healthy, they are a combined 4-2-1 against BC, BU, Maine, and QPac......not sure they are going to face much better than that. So if its laugh out loud funny for NU to win a natty, its even funnier to think BU has a chance, since they are 1-2 against the big joke that is NU.
                        The NESN team mentioned more than once and I can't recall exactly, need some help, that in the most recent nn weeks NU has the best record in the NCAAs or something like that.

I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Last Beanpot championship Vinny was our goalie, I'm surprised we let him go !

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            That penalty call on BU was not the deciding factor. It was a giveback for a crosscheck by BU a minute or two before that they missed.

BU lost the game by not converting the opportunities they had to get separation or to take the lead late in the 3rd. They dominated possession and shots, but that counts for nothing - and they instead let NU hang around and gain confidence.

Where they played opportunistic and structured hockey last Monday, they played tight, not-to-lose D tonight and Caron had a bad game. Officiating wasn't the problem.
                            Concur 100% with all of this, and appreciate your post. The actual penalty called was understandably curious to the BU folks (and to me too), but the missed crosscheck/interference on Campbell was blatantly ignored. Just a make up for a call they missed. So either way, there should have been an NU PP, and they took advantage of it. BU did not convert on theirs. I thought overall the refs called a great game, let them play, and let the players decide the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              That penalty call on BU was not the deciding factor. It was a giveback for a crosscheck by BU a minute or two before that they missed.

You are absolutely right concerning the penalty call. BU had committed a textbook Crosscheck in the middle of the ice. The holding call was a tad weak, but makeup calls are part of the ref's repertoire. Overall the myopians (refs) let the boys play, given the things they didn't call. Interetingly, BU played better 5 on 5 than on the PP.

Part of NU's strategy seemed to be their reluctance to chase the BU forwards all over the defensive zone. They probably wouldn't have caught them, and would have exhausted themselves by trying. They probably would have left themselves out of position. As a result, only one of BU's goals (Hutson's) was "traditional" and it should have been a backbreaker. The other two were the result of unfortunate stickwork by the NU D.
                              NU's second goal was a bit mushy, but the others were legit, especially Williams' bomb. It was Celebrini worthy.

Comment

• Agreed. Bad call or not, kill the penalty. It was NU's only power play of the game. Kill the penalty. I said that back in 2015 when NU got that penalty in OT and complained. Then it happened to BU. And I said it again. Kill the penalty. I know I'm not out there skating and it's not the easiest thing to do, though NU managed to kill a few so it can be done. The game winning goal was a bit of a cluster**** on BU's part, too. Agreed Caron didn't have his best night. He has shown he can be that goalie, he looked like it last week against BC.

And I don't think this had anything to do with it but will bring it up again - NU didn't have a game this past weekend. Was fatigue a factor?

Comment

Working...
                                X