Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine at Boston University 2/12 and 13

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
    Haven't been around very long? One that consistently outdraws Maine's... the sides of Agganis were relatively okay today but less full than usual. The student sections were sparse because a lot of people went home/traveled for the three day weekend...

Also there was this whole Olympics deal that started today...

Sorry, I love Maine fans, best student section in Hockey East if you ask me... but don't go after our fan base because you visited Agganis on a Friday-night-holiday-Olympic-weekend.

I don't think making excuses for the attendence at Agganis gets us Terrier fans anywhere. The fact is there are thousands of activities in Boston every weekend and going to a college hockey game is only one of many. We don't have the energy and passion that Maine has at Alfond but they only have college hockey or binge drinking as entertainment options in Orono.

Back to hockey: This is the most important weekend of BU's hockey season and last night was a continuation of a steady demonstration of effort, focus and pure talent coming together to create a pretty good team.

I was critical of the coaching staff over the holidays but give Parker great credit for publicly and privately admitting his negative approach was hurting this young team. Since January 2nd this team and coaching staff have steadily elevated their game and consistency to the point that nobody wants to play them at this point.

I give the players great credit for looking at themselves over the holidays and becoming accountable for the lapses in effort and focus we saw constantly during the first half of the season. It seems to me they are playing more relaxed and having fun yet are much more focuessed and consistent. We are seeing some good leadership in this area.

For tonight, I don't expect a repeat of last night but do expect to see the Terriers win a closer game. Last night we saw Darling at his worst. As I commented on the Blog during last night's game, he seems either great or terrible. I expect to see him play much better but believe the Terrier's superiour talent that is focucessed and intense will win out. A 4 point weekend will have the Terriers closing in on home ice and I think the players and coaches understand what is at stake.

I'm looking forward to tonight and will be doing my part to raise the energy level at Agganis tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
      Attendance was listed at 4900 and small change. I would bet that is higher than the average attendance at the Alfond this season.
      Yeah but I bet we beat them in total weight

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        I don't think BU has won back to back [nights] yet this season.
        Interesting.

Last year's team played on back-to-back nights 12 times:

4 points = x7
        3 points = x2
        2 points = x2 (counting the HE Qtrs as 2 back-to-back sets)
        1 point = x0
        0 points = x1
        Boston University Hockey
        1971 1972 1978 1995 2009

Comment

Lets get the sweep boys! Last night I could just listen to the third period after surgery.
          Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
            Lets get the sweep boys! Last night I could just listen to the third period after surgery.
            Hope your feeling better today TBA!

Comment

Originally posted by collegefan06 View Post
              I don't think making excuses for the attendence at Agganis gets us Terrier fans anywhere. The fact is there are thousands of activities in Boston every weekend and going to a college hockey game is only one of many. We don't have the energy and passion that Maine has at Alfond but they only have college hockey or binge drinking as entertainment options in Orono..
              don't forget tooth cleaning and sex with farm animals.

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                Alfond is averaging 4,548 this season. Agganis is averaging 5,470.
                This is true however the Alfond capacity is 5400 and Agganis capacity is 6300.

I'm sorry I brought this topic to the forum, it just looked a little empty last night for a big conference game thats all.
                Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
                  This is true however the Alfond capacity is 5400 and Agganis capacity is 6300.

I'm sorry I brought this topic to the forum, it just looked a little empty last night for a big conference game thats all.
                  So, even if you go by percentage, that's 86.8% for Agganis and 84.2% for Alfond.
                  Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                    eh i dont know, presidents day isnt the usual columbus day exodus kind of weekend. the attendance was woefully bad tonight.
                    True enough.

I don't think making excuses for the attendence at Agganis gets us Terrier fans anywhere. The fact is there are thousands of activities in Boston every weekend and going to a college hockey game is only one of many. We don't have the energy and passion that Maine has at Alfond but they only have college hockey or binge drinking as entertainment options in Orono.
                    On the right nights I'm not buying this "we don't have the energy and passion that Maine has at Alfond" but that's completely subjective... I'm not necessarily making excuses for the attendance, there's absolutely no reason a school as large as BU with only one attractive sports team should not be able to sell out a 6221 person arena for every game, I'm just trying to offer an explanation for the emptiness last night. I'm trying to explain it because I'm sure we all know, and based on FL's attendance averages, last night was nowhere near an averagely filled Agganis... and there had to be some reason.

Last three homes games: 5896 v UNH, 5361 v UMass, 4940 v Maine

There's no way we're actually losing 400+ fans a game... Maine would typically draw around a UNH-ish crowd, wouldn't it?

So, even if you go by percentage, that's 86.8% for Agganis and 84.2% for Alfond.
                    I wonder how that 86.8% compares to recent years... The really confusing Agganis stat to me this year is that we've only sold out one game (Michigan). We didn't sell out the opener vs ND (alright... it was a Tuesday) but more shockingly we didn't sell out the home game vs BC.
                    Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

I wonder how that 86.8% compares to recent years... The really confusing Agganis stat to me this year is that we've only sold out one game (Michigan). We didn't sell out the opener vs ND (alright... it was a Tuesday) but more shockingly we didn't sell out the home game vs BC.
                      Going to back to 2005-06 (the first full season in Agganis):
                      2005-06: 5,569
                      2006-07: 5,498
                      2007-08: 5,170
                      2008-09: 5,055
                      2009-10: 5,470

I honestly don't even know what to make of this. Other than the fact that they missed the NCAAs the year before, how can you possibly explain last season being the lowest? 05-06 and 06-07 were both good teams, and Agganis was still new, so that makes sense. Did the bad start in 07-08 really have that much of an effect? Why didn't the bad start this year have that kind of effect? Just because of the national championship? Why, of all times, would this year's attendance start dropping of now, when the team's finally playing well?
                      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I honestly don't even know what to make of this. Other than the fact that they missed the NCAAs the year before, how can you possibly explain last season being the lowest? 05-06 and 06-07 were both good teams, and Agganis was still new, so that makes sense. Did the bad start in 07-08 really have that much of an effect? Why didn't the bad start this year have that kind of effect? Just because of the national championship? Why, of all times, would this year's attendance start dropping of now, when the team's finally playing well?
                        early 08-09 attendance was in large part a product of two things. early season no one came because everyone assumed they sucked. remember in late october we were wondering if they were good enough to MAKE the ncaa tournament? also, the ice breaker tickets were not part of the season ticket package (even for students originally) and were a more expensive than the normal tickets. you also have to look at ticket prices. we, by far, have the most expensive tickets in hockey east. since for the average family/fan ticketmaster is the only way to buy tickets, you have to pay the **** ticketraper fees so one tickets costs upwards of $35. that's not conducive to bringing fans to see games in a still not so great economy when the team is .500.
                        time to write new history

Comment

Federal League, I agree with you. With the size of the student enrollment there should be people camping out to get into Aggannis for every game. With the number of alumni in Boston there should be a waiting list for season tickets. With the tradition of the program there should be many casual Boston hockey fans buying single game tickets. With the fact BU is the defending national champions that should magnify all of the above. With the quality of the arena and its easy access by both car and rail there shouldn't be excuses about "getting there".

I don't understand why every season isn't sold out before the puck drops at the first exhibition game.

Comment

Other questions:

Was this years BC game the first BC game @ Agganis to not sell out?
                            Where are ya getting these sweet statistics?
                            Were there outlier-type games with extremely low attendance pulling down 07-08, 08-09?
                            Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

Comment

Federal League, I agree with you. With the size of the student enrollment there should be people camping out to get into Aggannis for every game. With the number of alumni in Boston there should be a waiting list for season tickets. With the tradition of the program there should be many casual Boston hockey fans buying single game tickets. With the fact BU is the defending national champions that should magnify all of the above. With the quality of the arena and its easy access by both car and rail there shouldn't be excuses about "getting there".

I don't understand why every season isn't sold out before the puck drops at the first exhibition game.
                              Time for a group letter to the AD... has that ever gotten anything done?
                              Let's go Terriers!

Comment

Time for a group letter to the AD... has that ever gotten anything done?
                                no, theyre content with the 85% capacity with the high ticket prices then selling out with 100%.
                                time to write new history

Comment

Working...
                                X