Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We backed out of season tickets this year, just not practical with a 3 yr old at home. Are trying to pick up a few games here and there where we can.
    Took the kiddo to the first game of the season and had fun. We made our second trip to the Kohl Center on Saturday and had a blast.
    Was kind of shocked to see a band and a 100 level full of students, was expecting very little with the volleyball game happening down the street.
    Keeping the little guy occupied prevented me from watching the game in any depth, but what I saw looked pretty good.
    The first goal was just one of those fluky things that happens. We deflected a shot and the PSU skater got all of the way around the back of the net before our guy could seal off to block the wrap-around. After that he was pretty locked in and put out a good game.
    A few new/different things in the "fan experience" world that I noticed:
    They had the little kid skaters come out before the game started, between the pregame warmups and the player introductions.
    There was a new giant flag that the student section had (I think coming back from the 2nd intermission) that said "Beware the Crease Creatures" or something like that. Thought that was kind of cool.
    Culver's did a promo during the 2nd intermission. Since the Badgers scored in the 2nd they had people up in the catwalk drop little goodies with parachutes attached from the 4 corners of the catwalk. An older gentleman near us caught a small stuffed Culver's ice cream cone mascot and had his neighbors pass it over to us. Totally made my little guy's night!
    We grabbed tickets in the corner near the UW tunnel and were able to get down into the front rows after the game to say hi to the players as they were coming off of the ice. Coach noticed us and came over to give knuckles to the kiddo and shake my hand and say "Thanks for coming out tonight". Was a really nice moment from what appears to be a genuinely nice guy.

Oh, who is paying $9.50 for a beer at a game?!? That's crazy!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

Saturday on the post game with Posick, Hastings said Stramel has earned the right for more minutes and he didn't get them Saturday and Hastings said he addressed it with him after the game and he will be getting more minutes moving forward.
      I'm excited for this! I'm wondering if this means he will be moving up the lineup or if he will be getting 2nd unit power play time. I always appreciate a player earning more minutes due to their play.

Comment

• $9.50 is a bargain dude (sorry to say)

Comment

• Weekend recap:

PSU sweep; won Friday 6-3, won Saturday 4-1

Record: 14-4 overall (8-2-0-0 24 pts, 2nd in Big7); Prev Wk: (2nd), (n/c)
          USCHO Poll: 6th (1 of 50 first place votes); Prev Wk: (6th) (n/c)
          PWR: 6th of 64; Prev Wk: (6th) (n/c)
          RPI: 6th; Prev Wk: (6th) (n/c)
          Scoring: 3.50 GPG, T-13th; Prev Wk: 3.31 GPG, T-16th (+3)
          Defense: 1.72 GAPG, 1st; Prev Wk: 1.69 GAPG, 1st (n/c)

Save %: .935, 1st; Prev Wk: .936, 1st (n/c)
          Power Play Rate: 17.57% (13 of 74), 37th; Prev Wk: 17.91% (12 of 67), 32nd (-5)
          Penalty Kill Rate: 91.18% (62 of 68), 4th; Prev Wk: 89.83% (53 of 59), 5th (+1)
          Penalty Min per Game: 11.06 (T-28th) (1st is worst); Prev Wk: 10.38 (34th) (-6)
          Penalty Min: 199, Prev Wk: 166

Shorthanded Goals Scored; 2, T-18th; Prev Wk: 2, T-17th (-1)
          Shorthanded Goals Allowed: 1, T-32nd (1st is worst); Prev Wk: 1, T-30th (+2)
          Team Faceoff: 54.2%, T-5th; Prev Wk: 54.6%, 5th (n/c)

SOG taken: 616 (4th); Prev Wk: 562 (5th) (+1)
          SOG allowed: 475 (T-34th) (1st is worst); Prev Wk: 421 (T-37th) (-3)

Attendance: 8847 / game, 3rd. Went down a bit per game from last week.

This week: Winter Break until Kwik Trip Holiday Face-Off 12/28 7:30 PM vs Air Force (TV – Bally Sports Wisconsin) – 12/29 7:30 PM vs Northeastern or UMD (TV – Bally Sports Wisconsin)
          Next regular series: at Notre Dame 1/5/24 6 pm (TV - Peacock); Saturday 1/6/24 4 pm (TV – Peacock)

Who would have thought this team would be sitting 14-4 after the first half? This is likely an NCAA tourney team and no one will want to play this team. Good stuff and gives me chills typing that out.
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

Oh, who is paying $9.50 for a beer at a game?!? That's crazy!!!
            I have been...

Glad you can take the little one.

We did that for years when ours were young - had both nights for a long time. A lot of nice memories.

Finally gave up the tix when our son was playing high school most Fridays and Saturdays (and the Badgers were sucking making it impossible to unload our extras).

Comment

• Big Ten Stars of the Week:

Bantle - Second Star
              Stramel - Third Star

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                Big Ten Stars of the Week:

Bantle - Second Star
                Stramel - Third Star
                Bantle was so good Friday night. He was physical, nasty, tenacious. His best game as a Badger. I am guessing he got the game puck.
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                  Holding Fink to 1 assist was also great.
                  Yes, this was awesome.

It bares mentioning again how great PB and Howie were. I listened to the whole game in the garage while I was setting up my new boat. I was concerned maybe they had lost a step or to to father time. Nope.

14-4. I had no idea how prophetic the title of the thread would be for the season.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• I can't wait for the Kwik Trip Holiday Face Off - I'm gonna be stoked!!!

Anyone here going??
                    Signature under construction.....bids being accepted.

Comment

• Originally posted by HighToTheGloveSide View Post
                      I can't wait for the Kwik Trip Holiday Face Off - I'm gonna be stoked!!!

Anyone here going??
                      Yes. Have gone the first 2 years and had a great time. Going again!

Comment

• Was at the game Friday. Badgers could be scary good, IMO. They don't look to be playing as well as the beginning of the season (in terms of puck control, neutral zone transition, and a few other areas) but they are still winning. There is room for improvement and I expect there to be that improvement with Hastings.

I imagine it's gotta be tough for kids to go from the mentality that comes from being in a bad program to the mentality it takes to be a great program. It must be hard to make that transition, and even harder to keep that mentality all season and not slip back into bad habits. I expect some ups and downs this season, for sure.

I agree with a previous commenter that Hastings will get a few NCAA titles in Madison, assuming he stays 10 years or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by drewski192 View Post

I imagine it's gotta be tough for kids to go from the mentality that comes from being in a bad program to the mentality it takes to be a great program. It must be hard to make that transition, and even harder to keep that mentality all season and not slip back into bad habits. I expect some ups and downs this season, for sure.
                          This is a really good point, especially for the older guys. We all know how hard it is to break bad habits.

The wheels could have fell off after that 3 game skid but the lads kept right on roling after that. That was a really huge test of mental fortitude. They passed with flying colors.
                          ​​​​

Comment

• A weekend without hockey just feels so empty.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                              A weekend without hockey just feels so empty.
                              Yes, and not being able to go fishin makes it worse. And then there's the Packers...

Comment

• How do you guys view the holiday tourney? In my mind, it is a must win for the Badgers. With not much room left to move in the PW and the non conf opponents being significantly weaker in the PW, only bad things can happen.

Beating Air Force & UMD/Northeastern does nothibg for us...much less Lindenwood a cple weeks later. However losing could be brutal. We need to avoid the UAA type games and break out our best Ivan Drago impersonation. Just crush the competition over those 4 games.

Comment

Working...
                                X