UNH Hockey 2023 Off Season Thread Turn and Face the Strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post

Amen Dan! MS7 is the salesperson who "just needs a little more time to land the big fish". What he never figured out is while going after the big fish, you better keep catching the small to medium ones as well. This is what you eat daily and pay your mortgage with. Keep building the base and then you take some more chances on the big one. Some salespeople get lucky sooner, but the process needs to be consistent and repeatable. Tell a consistent story, have some enthusiasm, talk big picture about what I can do for YOU!

Sadly, he has had 8+ years and the "book of business" he was handed keeps getting smaller and no new substantial customers. Buying a better suit or fancier car ain't gonna cut.
    Feeling the pain of youse guys, but been there...you know. MS7 needs to lay out the plan to return relevance to the UNH program. Someone sometime needs to pin him down...whats the plan, who initiates each part of the plan, how is it measured and by whom . What are the goals..(should be pretty easy for all to agree on this) and whats the schedule for reaching them. If you dont specify what you want and put a completion schedule to each phase (my construction background talking) then there will be failure. Those who fail to plan, plan to fail. Passionate fan base at UNH....a shame so much energy is expended here with unsatisfactory results apparently. If not I graduated high school from NH I could give a chit, but, a good rivalry between UNH and ME is healthy these days especially with the parity in HE. Coaches nowadays seemingly have the coach speak down pat to skirt the truth when need be.
    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post
      MS7 needs to lay out the plan to return relevance to the UNH program.
      This would be the worst thing for anyone to do. Asking him to lay out a plan would mean you would then need to give him time to implement the plan, and then further time to see if there are any positive results. The ship has sailed. The ONLY PLAN the UNH AD and Admin should be asking MS7 about is his, or theirs, Exit Plan.

Comment

This would be the worst thing for anyone to do. Asking him to lay out a plan would mean you would then need to give him time to implement the plan, and then further time to see if there are any positive results. The ship has sailed. The ONLY PLAN the UNH AD and Admin should be asking MS7 about is his, or theirs, Exit Plan.
        As I stated awhile back the recruiting from 2017-2020 was horrific lots of 3rd and 4th line players. The incoming recruits coming in the next few years are better quality.But your right Whalers the ship has sailed.

Comment

• Jr.Devlin-----------So.Leclerc-----------Sr.Cafarelli
          So.Sardarian-----Fr.Ring---------------Fr.Comny
          So.Skraskins------Gr.Blaisdell---------Jr.Cronin
          Jr.Sweeney-------So.Winters--------Fr.Sieden
          Jr.Lovett----------Sr.Gendron--------Fr.Turner
          ------------Fr.Walsh

Jr.Gagne--------------Sr.Reid
          Jr.Huard--------------Sr.Jenson
          Fr.Fitzgerald-----------Jr.Lindner
          Jr.Babbage-----------[[transfer]]

So.Muszelik--------------Jr.Hellsten------------Jr.Forman

=======================================2024-25=======

Sr.Devlin-----------Jr.Leclerc-----------Jr.Skraskins
          Jr.Sardarian--------So.Ring-------------So.Comny
          Fr.R.MacPherson---Fr.C.MacPherson---Sr.Cronin
          Sr.Sweeney-------Jr.Winters-----------So.Sieden
          Sr.Lovett----------Fr.DeTurris----------So.Turner
          ------------So.Walsh------Fr.[[[Bradshaw/Primerano/Eckholm]]]

Sr.Gagne--------------Fr.Player
          Sr.Huard--------------Fr.[[__________]]
          So.Fitzgerald---------Sr.Lindner
          Sr.Babbage-----------Fr.Philbrick

Jr.Muszelik--------------Sr.Hellsten------------Sr.Forman
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

Agreed. MS7 knows how to make a plan. He just does not know how to execute a plan, which takes good recruiting and good coaching. Execution is the whole point of a plan. If MS7 knew how to execute a plan, we would not be spending all these pages and threads whining about MS7.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Balin View Post

As I stated awhile back the recruiting from 2017-2020 was horrific lots of 3rd and 4th line players. The incoming recruits coming in the next few years are better quality.But your right Whalers the ship has sailed.
              I've been hearing/reading this pretty steadily in the last few years, but somehow the on-ice product never improves.

Some players decommit, and sadly those players who do come to UNH don't show signs of development.

And if they eventually get to a point of value, they up stakes and find a better program.

It's a vicious cycle, and there's only one way to end that, my friends ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

You didnt really expect a Mainuh to help you guys right the ship didja ? :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post

You didnt really expect a Mainuh to help you guys right the ship didja ? :-)
                  I expected some real help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

I expected some real help.
                    And you gotit :-) Fire his azz, 8 years is long enuf.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

I've been hearing/reading this pretty steadily in the last few years, but somehow the on-ice product never improves.

Some players decommit, and sadly those players who do come to UNH don't show signs of development.

And if they eventually get to a point of value, they up stakes and find a better program.

It's a vicious cycle, and there's only one way to end that, my friends ...
                      And when some of our better players leave in the portal, we do not get much in return. The portal is not our friend. :-(
                      Last edited by Snively65; 05-19-2023, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• Stayed up through the 3rd OT but somehow knew Chucky would win it for the freakin' Panthers....someone I know is going to be veryyyyy tired at work today and thanking God it's not me....Brett Pesce sure got beat up last night (making this post UNH hockey related).
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Stayed up through the 3rd OT but somehow knew Chucky would win it for the freakin' Panthers....someone I know is going to be veryyyyy tired at work today and thanking God it's not me....Brett Pesce sure got beat up last night (making this post UNH hockey related).
                          You just have to admire the tenacity and determination shown by the Florida team this Spring, 'Ref. Make no mistake, I'm still rooting for (and expecting) the 'Canes to win this series AND the Cup, and I'm still a huge fan of Coach Brind'Amour ... but you have to tip your hat to Coach Paul Maurice and GM Bill Zito for the earth-shaking Tkachuk for Huberdeau trade last offseason. Tkachuk is proving himself to be an elite competitor in this year's playoffs - imagine Brad Marchand with more skill, size AND grit - and a leader who has stepped into a President's Cup roster from last season, and has shown the organization how to win postseason games.

He's young, under contract, and just hitting his prime. Get used to him, folks.

In the meantime, this is EXACTLY what the 'Canes need right now ... some adversity to test them, and to see if they can figure a way to work past it towards the glory that is the Cup. This should be their year ... unless Florida becomes the spitting image of the '19 St. Louis Blues, albeit with a much better goalie, and it becomes THEIR year instead?

WIS says 'Canes in 7.

Out West, Vegas and Coach Cassidy face Dallas and the coach Vegas fired last year (Pete DeBoer) in order to hire Cassidy. The more I think of this one, the more I'm leaning towards Dallas, which has most recently knocked out Toronto West (super-talented Edmonton) and has the horses to match (if not eclipse) VGK, plus a more reliable goalie situation. Cassidy has arguably already indirectly made his point at the B's expense, and now it'll be DeBoer's turn to make his point at the expense of the Knights. WIS says Dallas in 6.
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

You just have to admire the tenacity and determination shown by the Florida team this Spring, 'Ref. Make no mistake, I'm still rooting for (and expecting) the 'Canes to win this series AND the Cup, and I'm still a huge fan of Coach Brind'Amour ... but you have to tip your hat to Coach Paul Maurice and GM Bill Zito for the earth-shaking Tkachuk for Huberdeau trade last offseason. Tkachuk is proving himself to be an elite competitor in this year's playoffs - imagine Brad Marchand with more skill, size AND grit - and a leader who has stepped into a President's Cup roster from last season, and has shown the organization how to win postseason games.

He's young, under contract, and just hitting his prime. Get used to him, folks.

In the meantime, this is EXACTLY what the 'Canes need right now ... some adversity to test them, and to see if they can figure a way to work past it towards the glory that is the Cup. This should be their year ... unless Florida becomes the spitting image of the '19 St. Louis Blues, albeit with a much better goalie, and it becomes THEIR year instead?

WIS says 'Canes in 7.

Out West, Vegas and Coach Cassidy face Dallas and the coach Vegas fired last year (Pete DeBoer) in order to hire Cassidy. The more I think of this one, the more I'm leaning towards Dallas, which has most recently knocked out Toronto West (super-talented Edmonton) and has the horses to match (if not eclipse) VGK, plus a more reliable goalie situation. Cassidy has arguably already indirectly made his point at the B's expense, and now it'll be DeBoer's turn to make his point at the expense of the Knights. WIS says Dallas in 6.
                            Well of course I can give cred where cred is due so....and it is something to see the Panthers game in and out just do the same thing over and over; wear out their opponents and push
                            them all game long. That...deserves alot of credit. Agree the the Stars will prob outlast the Knights, no matter how cool their pre game is, ha!
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Stayed up for the entire nearly seven periods thinking that I might get a chance to see a record broken. Then drove on three hours sleep to ski first lift at Killington this morning, probably my last lift-served skiing this season. The moguls were good practice for Tuckerman’s (no lifts) next week.

As for Pesce, I think that he and his mates are up against the hottest goalie of the four teams, so unless the ‘Canes can tighten up their own D a bit and figure out how to score 5 on 5, it will be tough to win games on just PPG’s.

I had trouble keeping my eyes open by the third OT, reminiscent of the last game played in Snively almost three decades ago.

Comment

• Hmmm, probably not anymore
                                NCAA watcher replied to UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt! April 1, 2023

While killing time to see if anyone in the portal might sign on with UNH.....
                                If we're dreaming, Ryan Hardy the former USHL Chicago GM, now an assistant GM in Toronto, would be great. But like Blashill, they're pipedreams. Even Reid Cashman at Dartmouth is probably out of the realm (don't know what outs he has in his contract). The good thing is the Barr has been set so low at UNH that every hire, even a current assistant at a successful program like Dane Jackson or Bill Muckalt, would be more qualified than Souza was, and will be an improvement. With that perspective, I trust the process, even without knowing who the new AD will be.
                                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 05-19-2023, 04:33 PM.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X