Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey 2023 Off Season Thread Turn and Face the Strange

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
    A couple of quick thoughts as we round the corner to August.
    I love and appreciate our new AD and her active twitter postings. Like any good mother of 16 or whatever it is, she is on top of all her teams with comments and attendance. Shows some interest and involvement for sure.
    But where are the communications from our hockey team. No announcement of the new class and just no building of awareness and excitement. The best foundation of a good development program is to build awareness and excitement. Communicate with your audience, why should they care? If you are going to need major donations for the improvements, when and how to you begin? Wait til you are 3 and 11!?
    I would agree and I told her as much at the barbeque, that her obvious interest and support in the teams was obvious and, important. I don't pretend to know everything, yeah, shocker! that's reserved for just a few here (haha) but, I know this; when she is ready to make her move on the leadership concerning the hockey program (if things don't improve) I have full confidence she will come through.

    As per the buzz around this seasons team, am thinking outloud it might be a bit early, but, none the less, should be/ ought to be, forth coming. But by all means, should happen, and I am here for it. Have said in many posts that its a glaring fact that pressers have all but disappeared (for us in the trenches at least)?

    For all those who support the coach (I always support the team) regardless if they go 0-34 there are a lot who do not think that is ok and there will be plenty of noise, just like
    last season. Enough is enough.
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-31-2023, 10:32 PM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

    Comment


    • So that UVM player who left...UNH has not shot at him I suppose, or room? Gopher fans are hoping he lands there...
      Here we go 'Cats!!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        So that UVM player who left...UNH has not shot at him I suppose, or room? Gopher fans are hoping he lands there...
        Answered your own question. Why would anyone with options want to swap one he11hole of a program for another?
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

          Answered your own question. Why would anyone with options want to swap one he11hole of a program for another?
          So todays the big day for recruiting as the juniors can start committing today.Is Mr sub 500 gonna pull a rabbit out of the hat and get a Blue chippa or are we gonna be dissapointed again?

          Comment


          • The AD is certainly the AD for ALL sports, but most posters are not coming to this thread because the AD is showing such strong support for the skiing or swimming & diving teams (2 other UNH NC$$ sports). We are most concerned with THE premier sport (well used to be) at UNH, the one that has given the highest national profile. Also the sport that has driven the largest increase in student APPLICATIONS that directly equates to more asses in the majority of Durham dorm rooms, hence more university revenue.

            I am sure the AD at Michigan, and even BC, support ALL of the sports, but they are 100% tuned into the fact that their job depends on the health of the revenue sports.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Whalers View Post
              The AD is certainly the AD for ALL sports, but most posters are not coming to this thread because the AD is showing such strong support for the skiing or swimming & diving teams (2 other UNH NC$$ sports). We are most concerned with THE premier sport (well used to be) at UNH, the one that has given the highest national profile. Also the sport that has driven the largest increase in student APPLICATIONS that directly equates to more asses in the majority of Durham dorm rooms, hence more university revenue.

              I am sure the AD at Michigan, and even BC, support ALL of the sports, but they are 100% tuned into the fact that their job depends on the health of the revenue sports.
              Agree 100% here...that said, if UNH really cared about said revenues then the premiere sport we all love and support would have received the attention it desperately needed 10 years ago...

              My point about the AD and those other sports (which many of here enjoy, like football, soccer and of course, field hockey, sport of the Gods) is that she is much more on board at
              least in my view, in outward support of said charges. And yeah, that does NOT win HE championships. I'm just not sure, given the history at the U, that the AD's job has been
              contingent on the overall success/revenues of their money makers. It should...but it hasn't.

              Conversation piece: can we/should we/ expect that UNH is the same at BC, BU who have mega sports budgets? And, how is UNH actually coping with the (has to be) obvious
              change in season ticket holders and butts in the seats? The 'Whitt did ok if you ask me last year, for the most part from the 'eye test' and I know people went to football games.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

                Answered your own question. Why would anyone with options want to swap one he11hole of a program for another?
                A girl can dream Chuck, a girl can dream...
                Here we go 'Cats!!

                Comment


                • The basic point is Marty screwed the AD. So ascribing some implicit choice by the AD when she has incredible financial restraints seems unfair. Yes, depending on the budget, we can hypothesize that she might have "gone big" with a buyout, but we don't know enough of the facts.

                  Let's see in March what she does when the handcuffs are off. That will be her first real choice. If nothing is done at that point (almost regardless of what happens this year*) I will be very disappointed.

                  * Nine years vs. one year still tells me what should happen.


                  Send your complaints to Marty, care of Saranac Lake, NY retirement.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    The basic point is Marty screwed the AD. So ascribing some implicit choice by the AD when she has incredible financial restraints seems unfair. Yes, depending on the budget, we can hypothesize that she might have "gone big" with a buyout, but we don't know enough of the facts.

                    Let's see in March what she does when the handcuffs are off. That will be her first real choice. If nothing is done at that point (almost regardless of what happens this year*) I will be very disappointed.

                    * Nine years vs. one year still tells me what should happen.


                    Send your complaints to Marty, care of Saranac Lake, NY retirement.
                    I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, 'Watcher ... but notwithstanding purported "incredible financial restraints" (really??) the AD had a chance to end the current MS7 regime this Spring, and start the next one. She didn't.

                    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

                    - Lee/Lifeson/Peart circa 1980
                     
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

                    Comment


                    • Looks like Harvard's racking up the 07's early on..Come on Mikey surprise us please.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Robert Balin View Post
                        Looks like Harvard's racking up the 07's early on..Come on Mikey surprise us please.
                        For some reason, reading your post brought me back to my childhood, when feats of magic seemed within reach. Now ...
                         
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

                          For some reason, reading your post brought me back to my childhood, when feats of magic seemed within reach. Now ...
                          "But that trick never works!!" - Rocket J. Squirrel (and the STH's too :-) )
                          UNH

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

                            For some reason, reading your post brought me back to my childhood, when feats of magic seemed within reach. Now ...
                            Back to my childhood as well, but the show I was thinking of was ...... F Troop. :-) Agarn and the Hekawi. See any parallels in this quote?

                            Chief Wild Eagle:
                            [when asked how the Hekawi got their name] Many moons ago tribe move west because Pilgrims ruin neighborhood. Tribe travel west, over country and mountains and wild streams, then come big day... tribe fall over cliff, that when Hekawi get name. Medicine man say to my ancestor, "I think we lost. Where the heck are we?"

                            Comment


                            • Here is the video clip from one of the greatest TV comedy shows sadly no one dares talk about any more ...
                               
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

                              Comment


                              • His Uncle Phil once asked a young Darius if he'd heard of the Fukawi Indians and knew how they were named.

                                Not sure if either nation skated on the frozen water.
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X