No announcement yet.

UNH Hockey 2023 Off Season Thread Turn and Face the Strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral of the story? In light of the Supreme Court's recent ruling ending racial quotas in the college admission process, much talk in the "social justice" world has been directed to whether overcoming adversity by an applicant should instead be a measure considered for admission instead. The early word seems to suggest that "overcoming adversity" might work, so long as it's color-blind. And likewise, maybe "overcoming adversity" for a player like MacDonald trying to earn a regular slot on the 3rd or 4th line could/should have been a legitimate consideration too? But to take it to the next level, and make him a Captain, always seemed to be driven by this weird PC SJW mindset.

The UNH leadership core at the time trivialized an important decision for that year's on-ice leadership team with an "own goal" of epic proportions that the program has yet to recover from. So when it comes to making a hockey decision ... be sure that it is hockey that is driving the decision, not some dumb-*** PC feel-good agenda stupidity. Because that's not gonna be there to help you when you need it at nut-cutting time at the end of a game. JMHO.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Reid and/or Jenson. Actively "campaigning" for the captaincy should be immediately disqualifying.
      Forgot to ask trivia question earlier, who was the only UNH skater with a positive +/- last season (and by a fairly wide margin)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Forgot to ask trivia question earlier, who was the only UNH skater with a positive +/- last season (and by a fairly wide margin)?
        Tempted to say it was Jenson?

Comment

• And you would be correct! Trust me, he deserves an “A” as he is clearly the most steady and consistent D man. He just rarely screws it up. He doesn’t score much but has picked up with the assists as he has grown over his career.

Comment

• Yup, Nicolai Jenson was a +6, not bad for an overall lousy (aka mediocre) team. Next best was Kristaps Skrastins at +0, followed by Stiven Sardarian and the aforementioned Cafarelli at -1. Maybe I need to reconsider my comment whether Cafarelli is Captain-worthy. I think that +/- is sometimes more revealing than total points scored.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Yup, Nicolai Jenson was a +6, not bad for an overall lousy (aka mediocre) team. Next best was Kristaps Skrastins at +0, followed by Stiven Sardarian and the aforementioned Cafarelli at -1. Maybe I need to reconsider my comment whether Cafarelli is Captain-worthy. I think that +/- is sometimes more revealing than total points scored.
              With the key word being "sometimes" no doubt, but all in all, I trust +/- as a decent-but-not-perfect measure of a player's two way responsibility. As you pointed out, a +6 is a statistical outlier in comparison to the rest of the team, so either Jenson was (way) luckier than most everybody else on his team, OR was more reliable out there in making good decisions with the puck, and in taking away the opposition's play in dangerous areas of the defensive zone. And it's not like he's piling up the points, like a Huard or Carfagna was. But in the simplest way possible, it's always good when your team scores more often at even strength than the bad guys do. And when you only have one (1) player with a positive, and everyone else is in negative territory, you'd better have a super-efficient set of special teams (PP and PK) to make up for that delta (which never happens).

It's no secret that Bobby Orr was my childhood idol, and if you want to see the impact he had on a game in the early days of +/-, look at what he posted for the first five (5) seasons they posted the stat (1971-1975) which coincide with the last 5 full seasons of his great but too short career. He averaged a +85 - that's more than a +1.0 per game! - and had a ridiculous +124 the year AFTER they won their first Cup, and God only knows what he posted that season, when he won pretty much everything a player could win. To put a slightly different spin on his greatness, you can even take the 36 game sample of his last 3 seasons combined, split with one year in Boston and the last two in Chicago, all which were played on virtually one leg, and you end up with prorated numbers (doubled to a full year's level of 72 games) of 22G-68A-90 points, and a +36. Maybe not prime Orr, but if you put those stats up without a name on it, it would be enough to have warranted Norris Trophy consideration in contention with guys like Denis Potvin and Larry Robinson, who won those honors post-Orr in the mid-to-late '70's.

Comment

• At the barbecue...didn't know UNH will host the Women's Frozen Four this season. Met a bunch of players and will be hearing the new sound system shortly.

AD Rich outlined the improvements and they hope to break ground next Spring as they await some big bucks to make that happen.

Both Hilary Witt and Mike Souza addressed the crowd (which was decent). Both enthusiastic about the upcoming seasons and the things you dont see in the win/loss record that count as successes.

Souza was esp grateful to AD Rich as she has embraced the renovations to the Whitt. Also mentioned UNH has a ton of.players in dev camps right now..mentioned Harrison Blaisdell as a force for leadership (captain nod?) for the summer school students. Said there was a "different feeling" for the comimg season..guys are.ready to work and get better...

Kevin Dean was in the house as well and met with players as well as 3 other NHL coaches...interestingly Dean was on the UNH golf team? Cool to hear him speak.

Talked about the importance of supporting the team in good times as well as bad. Lauded the coaching staff and felt that UNH is on the upswing after the second half of last season.

Didn't hear anything that was new per se and didn't expect to but left thinking most are excited for October...

Go 'Cats!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Both Hilary Witt and Mike Souza addressed the crowd (which was decent). Both enthusiastic about the upcoming seasons and the things you dont see in the win/loss record that count as successes.
                  That'd be my pitch too.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

That'd be my pitch too.
                    Lol the sarcasm is duly noted..ha!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Kevin Dean was in the house as well and met with players as well as 3 other NHL coaches...interestingly Dean was on the UNH golf team? Cool to hear him speak.

Talked about the importance of supporting the team in good times as well as bad. Lauded the coaching staff and felt that UNH is on the upswing after the second half of last season.
                      For all the spin surrounding the "upswing" in the second half, let the record show that UNH posted a 7-7-2 record after the holiday season break, and failed to win any of its final five (5) games in regulation. And then proceeded to lose many of its best/most promising players to the transfer portal. The "upswing" was just Three Weeks in February.

That's it. Look it up if you don't believe me. Can't wait to see what "success" looks like in '23/'24 ...

Comment

For all the spin surrounding the "upswing" in the second half, let the record show that UNH posted a 7-7-2 record after the holiday season break, and failed to win any of its final five (5) games in regulation. And then proceeded to lose many of its best/most promising players to the transfer portal. The "upswing" was just Three Weeks in February.

That's it. Look it up if you don't believe me. Can't wait to see what "success" looks like in '23/'24 ...
                        Hey Chuck I'm just reporting what was said at this event. I totally know how UNH did. I was there...I mean, this is what they have to go with.
                        Yep, short leash Souza has a lot of work ahead to be sure! I enjoyed hearing Kevin speak as so many of you talk about him. He felt that things are moving in
                        the right direction; I guess...that remains to be seen.
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Where is Grouchy UNHer to challenge Chuck when needed? How does one get “Three Weeks” from the 7-2-2 (2 SOW) run between Friday 6 January and Saturday 18 February? Grouchy would say that you need to double that “Three Weeks.” Had those two one-goal losses in Schenectady at the end of December been one-goal wins, then we would have been talking 9-2-2 (2 SOW) over a seven-week span. However, I agree that Grouchy is probably as upset as all of us are about the portal defections at the end of the season.

Anyone remember when we were tossing out Kevin Dean’s name as Umile’s replacement when the rumors were flying eight years ago that the HC succession would stay in “da family”?

Comment

I enjoyed hearing Kevin speak as so many of you talk about him. He felt that things are moving in the right direction; I guess...that remains to be seen.
                            KDean wouldn't exactly be a very nice guest if he said something different. "I am so excited for this year's team. The new sound system will be a huge upgrade and get us to a regional." (hey wait, is that Dean, MS7 or Marty saying that with a straight face??)

Comment

• You don't keep your job for 9 straight years finishing in 9, 10 and 11th place without expressing gratitude to your boss for eliminating the barriers to your success.

2015 Video Board
                              Hanging high above the ice, the four-sided video board has screens measuring 9 feet high by 15 feet wide. The board, and the 150-foot-long LED ribbon wrapping around the end zone, will add to not only the fan experience, but also the quality of both hockey programs. Scarano claims one of the main reasons for the board was for recruiting. Hockey programs today are becoming so competitive, and it takes any detail to set a school apart for incoming recruits. Now, the Wildcats are able to offer the newest video board in the Hockey East.

Umile, entering his 26th season as head coach at UNH, is extremely excited after being patient for so many years. Witt, in her second season as head coach of the women’s team, did not have to wait as long as Umile. She attributes the fast turnaround with the video board to the hard-working culture that she sees throughout the university.

“Marty (Scarano) said that it would happen and it did. I only hope that that happens every time,” Witt joked.

2020 - Rink Shrinkage
                              Souza and Scarano feel as though the Wildcats’ larger home ice has held them back in terms of recruiting in recent years, as opposing teams have used the hinderance against them on athlete visits.
                              It is just the start of a six-month process, but Souza expressed gratitude towards Scarano, his staff and President Dean when talking about the transparency of the project as a whole.

“We were fortunate enough that the university has been very helpful to us to not only make the deferred maintenance happen but also to bring the size of the ice down which gives us the opportunity to not talk about why we play on an Olympic sized rink…helping us in recruiting and being more aligned with our competitors.”
                              2023 - No, really, these renovations are the changes that will make us competitive.

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              Souza was esp grateful to AD Rich as she has embraced the renovations to the Whitt.Go 'Cats!
                              Last edited by NCAA watcher; 07-11-2023, 01:01 PM.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

With the key word being "sometimes" no doubt, but all in all, I trust +/- as a decent-but-not-perfect measure of a player's two way responsibility.
                                Patrick Grasso. In his FIVE years at UNH tallied 97 points, with a MINUS 34.
                                Last edited by Felger; 07-11-2023, 11:03 AM.
                                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Working...
                                X