Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure you guys had a hot streak but it doesn't make any sense to me that Souza is returning. Just an outsider's opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Question...would UNH have the funds to even DO a buyout of Souza's contract plus pay a new coach? Sorry, more than naive at these kinds of things..
      I responded to a post from db62 in the old thread on this topic. Answer: cost might not be so much as you might think, and especially if AD Rich gives MS7 notice of non-renewal in the next few days/week(s)? Hoops and Hockey run roughly on the same schedules, so no reason to think if Rich has made an assessment and decision on Herrion now, then Souza is also likely in her thoughts for "next man up". And the ruthless decision on Herrion sets things up perfectly for Souza to start a job search pronto, while he still has the slightest glimmer of in situ job leverage ...

https://fanforum.uscho.com/forum/col...50#post3796850
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Every few years I would stumble across Bill Herrion still being your coach and came to the same conclusion...how can he still be there while never making a single NCAA tournament? You'd think you would stumble into one. Granted his time has coincided with Vermont's domination of America East. But if Vermont can become a league power out of nowhere I can understand asking "why not us?" and striving to do better.

Clarence O. Daniels hit the portal. Maybe my favorite name in college hoops.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Sure you guys had a hot streak but it doesn't make any sense to me that Souza is returning. Just an outsider's opinion.
          The streak was the usual fool's gold, an oasis in the desert of continued UNH Hockey mediocrity. It's happened a few other times during his tenure, and it's disappeared just as quickly as well. The discussion now seems to be framed on whether the new AD - having just non-renewed their long-time Hoops coach upon expiration of his deal - will do the same with Souza when his deal expires this time next year OR if she can find a way to an early buyout in the coming weeks. Personally, I think the money needed to do it is feasible. My guess is she will be entirely focused on the national search for the Hoops replacement, and will want to see how that plays out this Spring first, and ready herself for a similar search process for Hockey when Souza's deal expires after next season.

But yeah, as usual J.D., based on the merits (or lack thereof), you and I are seeing the bottom line the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Clarence O. Daniels hit the portal. Maybe my favorite name in college hoops.
            Kid can play.
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Chuck, what's so 'ruthless' about AD Rich not extending Bill Herrion? I looked at his record; yeah he had some 'above ground' seasons but
              still ended up only being at around .42 % in total wins?

I'd think you would be pleased that she made a decision that you know darn well Marty prob wouldn't have (I could be totally wrong about this, just to qualify as I always do). Just a reflection. And, I've already read your defense of him in earlier posts.

Personally? I think this is a good day for UNH Athletics.

Ps..it's nice to read the kudos he is getting on Twitter (for the most part)..lots of remembrances of a
              great run, esp at Drexel. I'm glad I took the time to look this stuff up. Everything comes to an end, tho...
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-14-2023, 07:13 PM.
              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Chuck, what's so 'ruthless' about AD Rich not extending Bill Herrion? I looked at his record; yeah he had some 'above ground' seasons but
                still ended up only being at around .42 % in total wins?

I'd think you would be pleased that she made a decision that you know darn well Marty prob wouldn't have (I could be totally wrong about this, just to qualify as I always do). Just a reflection. And, I've already read your defense of him in earlier posts.

Personally? I think this is a good day for UNH Athletics.
                'Ref, you're assuming I used the term "ruthless" as a pejorative. I meant it as a compliment, actually.

Decisive action on someone who was the best coach in UNH Men's Hoop history (the ultimate "low bar" praise) ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

'Ref, you're assuming I used the term "ruthless" as a pejorative. I meant it as a compliment, actually.

Decisive action on someone who was the best coach in UNH Men's Hoop history (the ultimate "low bar" praise) ...
                  Gotcha, and I was thinking that over after I had posted. No doubt the coach poured all he had into it as has
                  been pointed out by the comments I've read. I'm glad to see AD Rich asserting herself; but lets see how it plays out
                  between the dots shall we if and when, the time comes. (to use a hockey ref, haha)

And after today, I believe that time will come, if it must...
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-14-2023, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Prior to the AD hire if I could pick from a list of adjectives to describe my ideal candidate ruthless would be at or near the top. Go off queen!

Comment

• Originally posted by teez View Post
                      prior to the ad hire if i could pick from a list of adjectives to describe my ideal candidate ruthless would be at or near the top. go off queen!
                      love it.

Comment

• I am not sure the exact, pathetic, miniscule number, but UNH is a small handful of Div 1 hoop teams who have NEVER, EVER, made the NCAA Basketball tournament in EITHER Men's or Women's basketball. The men have NEVER, EVER even made their conference tournament final. At some point, the law of averages would tilt in your favor that someone would toss up a half court heave that would fall in to get you to at least the final, but alas, NONE of the vaunted hoops coaches in UNH history could even get the teams that close.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post
                          I am not sure the exact, pathetic, miniscule number, but UNH is a small handful of Div 1 hoop teams who have NEVER, EVER, made the NCAA Basketball tournament in EITHER Men's or Women's basketball. The men have NEVER, EVER even made their conference tournament final. At some point, the law of averages would tilt in your favor that someone would toss up a half court heave that would fall in to get you to at least the final, but alas, NONE of the vaunted hoops coaches in UNH history could even get the teams that close.
                          Some comments I've read online is that its difficult to attract good talent due to the facilities at Lundholm...and that UNH should can bball and go back to baseball/softball. General feeling was that Herrion did a great job considering what he was up against facilities wise. I am not a hoop follower but have heard that on a few occasions what a 'dump' Lundholm is. UVM's mens bball is also an older gym but there are plans to build a new, stand alone bball facility there? No idea...

All of that said, you'd expect that eventually, you'd make it to a Final game as you pointed out, even besides the fact that UNH hasn't ever been considered a bball school. Argument too about playing at the 'Whitt...alot of 'trouble' to do that for the few fans that would attend the games..from what I've also garnered from these recent comments about the program. I know Chuck has felt they should be playing there?

Comment

• Lundholm is a dump. I cringe that they even play the HIGH SCHOOL final there. But for anyone who has been to Patrick Gym (yes gym) at UVM, it is pretty much a spitting image of Lundholm. The difference is that UVM goes out and gets some above average coaches and at least supports the teams. They got lucky on a few ocassions and made the tourney and even had some success (beat Syracuse in first round). Doesnt take much to lift the fortunes of a sport (see Gonzaga).

UNH needs to go out and find an up and coming YOUNG coach looking to make a name. Ask Marcy Carsey, Joe Faro or another deep pocket alum to pledge $500,000 so you can bump the coach up $150,000 a year for a 3 year run. This brings you into the $400,000 range. If they have success, they will probably leave after 3, but who cares, you are on the Hoop map. Dangle the carrot to the coach AND the players that the plan is to move across the street to the Whitt (you CAN fill it, google the UNH Florida game to see) and see what comes of it. Pitino started coaching at BU, Thibideau from the Knicks started coaching at Salem State (that gym was a major dump). NOW you would have a plan.

If you want to see what a coach can do that can actually recruit? At a small college? Look up the hoop coach at MERRIMACK. They just went D1 in hoops 3 years ago, and he got them to the conference final. They WON but because of a grace period they cant go to the Big Dance. Oh and with their uptick, they moved their games from a GYM into the Lawler rink, where the hockey team plays. Still not terrific but a HUGE step up in facility.

Does Merrimack have any other coaches who have turned the fortunes around of any other Sports???? Maybe did some solid recruiting or jumped in the portal??? :-) :-)
                            Last edited by Whalers; 03-15-2023, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• I agree with Whalers about Lundholm and also the comparison to Patrick. I don't really care one way or the other whether they play across the street or not. But as someone who actually saw UNH basketball games in the Whitt I found it a bit underwhelming. Sure, there was a big crowd when they played a top ranked Florida team, with a local star to boot. However I can recall many more nights when the atmosphere was just awful, and it felt like watching a game in a dome. There wasn't even a need to take down the high glass and the netting at the ends of the rink, which only made the ambience worse. In fact, I spoke with a couple UNH players at the time who welcomed returning to Lundholm hoping the smaller venue might create more excitement. Careful what you wish for.

There are also logistical issues. Changeover impacts the practice schedules of both the men's and women's hockey teams. Does the opposing team get a shootaround day of game, which also affects c/o. There is also the money issue. I don;'t believe the changeover crew works for UNH, so that is a cost. Its not like you're telling Buildings and Grounds to put down the basketball court between 7 and 3. And undoubtedly there would be Title IX issues. There is no way you can play men's games over there without doing something similar for the women's program.

I'm fine either way, and hope it works out where ever they play. I just don't think its a "slam dunk," (pun intended.)
                              Last edited by Felger; 03-15-2023, 10:11 AM.
                              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

UNH Men's Hockey has an active internet presence using all the platforms that I'm aware of (FB, Twitter, Insta). They post about games and other things like trivia about the team (more on Insta). But they haven't done a lengthy video as of late (at least, not that I'm aware of?) There was a weekly podcast that 2 UNH journo students were doing but that seemed to stop when the team hit
                                the 11 game losing skid. Not much comes out of UNH outside of these things; so much for the 'weekly presser', and before the pandemic, the events at Red Hook Brewery where they'd host a UNH
                                team; invite coaches/players.
                                They used to have a lot more in-game content on Twitter, i.e. rolling commentary and run of game tweets; this may have been lost as social media managers changed over the years.
                                Now we just get lines, start / end of period score updates, and UNH goals (often up to 10 minutes after they've been scored). They completely stopped tweeting opposing teams goals, penalties, and power plays making it useless for trying to live follow games.
                                "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                                Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                                NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                                EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                                AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                                1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Working...
                                X