UNH Hockey 2023 Off Season Thread Turn and Face the Strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Nothing has worked yet doing things the other way ... shame he didn't consider changing his approach earlier, rather than waiting until he was walking on the precipice of his D-1 coaching future ...
    Oh, he's not changing. Otherwise there'd be more space being created up front via the portal, and they would not have brought Blaisdell back as a graduate student. They're done up front. On backend Carfagna caught them by surprise, and their first choice to fill the gap Siedem declined. So now it will be Powell, or someone like him, and an 8th defenseman for depth they lost via Nico Davita returning to Ferris.

Overall still heavily dependent upon Sardarian making a jump as a soph, and Ring/Comney being able to produce offense as freshmen. I think you know what you have in Leclerc, enough to center one of the two top lines, and Devlin too. That leaves 1st line RW, can Cafarelli finally be consistent enough, or does Cronin play better, or does Skraskins make the sophomore jump?

Questions but I'd bet some of them pan out and the offense is slightly better than last year. Defense regresses with Carfagna leaving (he played well but would have been great as a sophomore).

Goalie will remain a position where they probably hope but don't expect Muszelik to steal games, just be competent. Think Mike Robinson.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Oh, he's not changing. Otherwise there'd be more space being created up front via the portal, and they would not have brought Blaisdell back as a graduate student. They're done up front. On backend Carfagna caught them by surprise, and their first choice to fill the gap Siedem declined. So now it will be Powell, or someone like him, and an 8th defenseman for depth they lost via Nico Davita returning to Ferris.

Overall still heavily dependent upon Sardarian making a jump as a soph, and Ring/Comney being able to produce offense as freshmen. I think you know what you have in Leclerc, enough to center one of the two top lines, and Devlin too. That leaves 1st line RW, can Cafarelli finally be consistent enough, or does Cronin play better, or does Skraskins make the sophomore jump?

Questions but I'd bet some of them pan out and the offense is slightly better than last year. Defense regresses with Carfagna leaving (he played well but would have been great as a sophomore).

Goalie will remain a position where they probably hope but don't expect Muszelik to steal games, just be competent. Think Mike Robinson.
      You don't think Fitzgerald is going to be at least as competent as Carfagna? Or.close after the usual D1 learning curve? Would agree it's too bad he left.
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 05-05-2023, 09:02 AM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Not as good as Carfagna, plus he'll be a frosh learning the speed, where Carfagna already got the rookie learning curve. And that still leaves Kalle's open spot, where Fitz was going to replace him. Now there a hole.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

• There are holes everywhere. And not just "filling in the lines" holes in the roster. HUGE "holes" in terms of truly having no first line/first pairing talents on the roster, period. There's probably a small handful of players currently on the UNH roster who would be able to capably fill a second line/second pairing slot on a winning D-1 program. And after that, it's bottom six or low-level D-1 or run of the mill D-3 level talents filling out the remainder of the roster slots.

I remember when we first started to notice this phenomenon, about a decade ago, give or take, when UNH would still have some top end talents on the roster, but the next level depth-wise would look like an accumulation of 3rd and 4th liners populating the second through fourth lines, and similar slippage on the blue line too. Even in goal, where it's a pretty straight downwards line over the last decade, from DeSmith to Tirone to Robinson, and now Mucinex. The only notable aberration I can recall is the brief period later in the Umile Era when UNH had size and mobility on the backline with TvR, Pesce, Knodel, Agosta, and later Cleland. That didn't last long, but that was it.

And now here we are, with a small handful of second line/pairing guys trying to masquerade as top line HEA D-1 talents, and the "depth" being made up of not anything better than a slew of 3rd liners and borderline D-1 players. It's been pretty grim, and it's getting even grimmer, while the only hope to elevate the team (i.e. the ability to coach-up and develop these players) rests with a staff that hasn't shown it has that ability.

Say what you will about Coach Umile, but players under his leadership did develop (not always, but enough) and if you want to credit him OR his ability to hire and retain good teachers (Tortorella and Borek come to mind in the latter half of Umile's career) - OR both - some players did get to earn a living in the NHL for a considerable period of time. That's not happening any more. The program is broken, and has been for awhile now.

I think the most depressing part of where we are right now is, AD Rich has decided to leave MS7 and his staff in place for another year of this squalid deterioration. She has to know the history of Souza's reign up to this point, and she even got to experience one of the "oasis" moments where MS7's team goes on a roll and (like Charlie Brown approaching the Lucy-held football) thinking that, "yes, maybe this time'll be different".

I can show you with this brief visual below just how "different" this season is gonna be ...

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• ... and in failing to do what is SO blatantly obviously necessary NOW, AD Rich leaves us with two potential outcomes: one, the one that should be happening NOW; and two, let's say next season's "Souza Mirage" lasts longer, the league is even further down that last season, and somehow MS7 and Co. have a seventh place finish within touching distance of .500, and even manages to eke out a win or two in the MBPBEGAM playoffs to sneak into Boston before UNH gets waxed by fill-in-the-blank. Is that extension worthy? Measured against MS7, it is; measured against Herrion, it isn't. AD Rich has set the standard with the Herrion action, no? So why not just go ahead and do it NOW?!?

Spring is a quiet time for the UNH AD, Spring intercollegiate sports at UNH are fairly limited, and the Men's Hoops work is all done and dusted. Why not act NOW on Men's Hockey?? The budget thing is a false (and demonstrably) weak argument, as constant discussion on here has shown.

Unless the (inexplicable) plan is to give UNH alum Souza every last chance to "earn" an extension?

Lastly ... RIP to Petr Klima, aged 58, the guy who the Dead Wings practiced on with smuggling in Eastern Bloc players in their prime, a strategy that would lead to Fedorov and Kozlov and a few Stanley Cups a decade later. Klima by all accounts lived life in the fast lane, and it's sad but not shocking to have seen his obit yesterday. Probably never a good sign for living a long clean and sober life when your bestie is Bob Probert, but they'll always have the infamous Goose Loonies incident from May 1988 to look back on. Adieu, Petr ...

Bob Probert, Goose Loonies, a hat trick of horrific headlines (freep.com)

Comment

... and in failing to do what is SO blatantly obviously necessary NOW, AD Rich leaves us with two potential outcomes: one, the one that should be happening NOW; and two, let's say next season's "Souza Mirage" lasts longer, the league is even further down that last season, and somehow MS7 and Co. have a seventh place finish within touching distance of .500, and even manages to eke out a win or two in the MBPBEGAM playoffs to sneak into Boston before UNH gets waxed by fill-in-the-blank. Is that extension worthy? Measured against MS7, it is; measured against Herrion, it isn't. AD Rich has set the standard with the Herrion action, no? So why not just go ahead and do it NOW?!?

Spring is a quiet time for the UNH AD, Spring intercollegiate sports at UNH are fairly limited, and the Men's Hoops work is all done and dusted. Why not act NOW on Men's Hockey?? The budget thing is a false (and demonstrably) weak argument, as constant discussion on here has shown.

Unless the (inexplicable) plan is to give UNH alum Souza every last chance to "earn" an extension?

Lastly ... RIP to Petr Klima, aged 58, the guy who the Dead Wings practiced on with smuggling in Eastern Bloc players in their prime, a strategy that would lead to Fedorov and Kozlov and a few Stanley Cups a decade later. Klima by all accounts lived life in the fast lane, and it's sad but not shocking to have seen his obit yesterday. Probably never a good sign for living a long clean and sober life when your bestie is Bob Probert, but they'll always have the infamous Goose Loonies incident from May 1988 to look back on. Adieu, Petr ...

Bob Probert, Goose Loonies, a hat trick of horrific headlines (freep.com)
              Herrions contract had come due. Perfect timing. Souza has one more left. Case closed.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Herrions contract had come due. Perfect timing. Souza has one more left. Case closed.
                "Closed" in what sense, 'Ref? Rich could easily buy out MS7 for part of what he is "owed" for next season if the two parties simply sat down and had a discussion.

AR: Mike, you've had the job in one shape or another for 8 years. Not a single winning season, and ...
                MS: I can feel it in my bones, Alli ... we're turning the corner at last!! Remember January/February?
                AR: I understand you've had spurts like that before. Still, not a single winning season ...
                MS: And lookit all the in state kids, SO exciting for the local hockey fans, all I need is five more ...
                AR: ... and the trajectory is straight downhill, and the attendance is keeping pace downwards too.
                MS: We've had bad luck with the COVID, couldn't do anything about that, I wuz robbed!!!
                AR: The COVID didn't seem to hurt UMass, or Merrimack this past season ...
                MS: Okay, okay, I get it. You want me to sacrifice one of my guys. I'll tell Ty tomorrow he's out ...
                AR: Not quite, Mike. Ty is the least of my concerns. He's not drawing a paycheck for his failures ...
                MS: FAILURES!?!?! How dare you!! What do YOU know about hockey, little Princeton missy!!
                AR: What I do know about hockey is that you show very little evidence of being able to coach it successfully.
                MS: MORE SMEARS!!! I scored two of the biggest goals in the program's history, y'know?!?
                AR: Relevance, Mr. Souza? You've exhausted your eligibility a generation ago ...
                MS: Well, Uncle Dick and Papa Marty always said it counted for something ...
                AR: ... and now you're exhausting my patience. This is what I want to propose to you ...
                MS: ... "propose to me??" I'm a married man, Richie!! And I do the proposing around here, missy!!!
                AR: Your chances of an extension this time next year are about the same as the Old Man of the Mountain re-appearing ...
                MS: ... so you're saying I got a CHANCE??? Yippee!!
                AR: Not really, not if you're listening anyway. What say I cut you a check for 50% of next year's final salary ...
                MS: Go on ...
                AR: ... and then you don't have to make any of your assistants walk the plank - I'll be the "bad guy" ...
                AR: ... and we can then say buh-bye and wish you the best of luck in your career away from UNH?
                MS: You mean ... no lifetime contract, like the one Papa Marty gave to Uncle Dick???
                AR: Never in a million years, Mike. Consider this an offer you can't refuse, in the vernacular, of course.
                MS: Of course. Lemme give it some thought.
                AR: You got 24 hours. Press conference will be set for 11:00 a.m. Monday. So will the check. If you don't show ...
                MS: ... yeah, what if I don't show???
                AR: Remember what happened to the smart-*** who turned down The Don's offer in Da Godfaddah?
                MS: Kinda ...
                AR: I'd hate to have you waking up Sunday morning with such a ... mess to deal with. Now be a smart guy willya?

If AD Rich chooses not to do so, she is either lazy, dumb or weak. I don't think she's lazy or dumb. But you have a chance to get a head start on ridding your program of its biggest headache and source of embarrassment, and you just can't find the cojones to cut ties a year early with a guy who has accomplished diddley squat ... weak. Channel your inner BS+infinity, and discover the ruthlessness he found once upon a time to blow out a good guy (and a winner, with years left on his contract) like McCloskey.

Do it, and you are the greatest most proactive AD in UNH history. I will worship the ground you walk on, so long as you keep all your coaches on top of their programs.

Don't do it ... and you are weak, nothing special, and just another mindless faceless AD feathering their retirement.

Fortune favors the brave. Go big or go home. You know what needs to be done, so just DO IT. NOW.

Comment

• Originally posted by whoop87 View Post
                  Pat and Brian Foley 2003-04 season.
                  Captain of one of the worst performances in UNH against Michigan at the Verizon/SNHU

Comment

If AD Rich chooses not to do so, she is either lazy, dumb or weak.

Do it, and you are the greatest most proactive AD in UNH history. I will worship the ground you walk on, so long as you keep all your coaches on top of their programs.

Don't do it ... and you are weak, nothing special, and just another mindless faceless AD feathering their retirement.

Fortune favors the brave. Go big or go home. You know what needs to be done, so just DO IT. NOW.
                    Chuck, moving through the five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance are a part of the framework that makes up our learning to live with grief. Looks like he's moved from two to three now.

Chuck, join me in stage five, where depression already has occurred, and now just accept what will be until March 2024. It's much easier that way.
                    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 05-06-2023, 07:22 AM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

If AD Rich chooses not to do so, she is either lazy, dumb or weak. I don't think she's lazy or dumb. But you have a chance to get a head start on ridding your program of its biggest headache and source of embarrassment, and you just can't find the cojones to cut ties a year early with a guy who has accomplished diddley squat ... weak. Channel your inner BS+infinity, and discover the ruthlessness he found once upon a time to blow out a good guy (and a winner, with years left on his contract) like McCloskey.

Absolute BS, Chuck. Completely unfair. I hope she does "get a head start" just to see you preceding her around campus, scattering rose petals in her path and otherwise doing her bidding.

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      Chuck, moving through the five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance are a part of the framework that makes up our learning to live with grief. Looks like he's moved from two to three now.

Chuck, join me in stage five, where depression already has occurred, and now just accept what will be until March 2024. It's much easier that way.
                      This. Relax. Enjoy the season and the final weekend of the NCAA softball regular season.
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

"Closed" in what sense, 'Ref? Rich could easily buy out MS7 for part of what he is "owed" for next season if the two parties simply sat down and had a discussion.

AR: Mike, you've had the job in one shape or another for 8 years. Not a single winning season, and ...
                        MS: I can feel it in my bones, Alli ... we're turning the corner at last!! Remember January/February?
                        AR: I understand you've had spurts like that before. Still, not a single winning season ...
                        MS: And lookit all the in state kids, SO exciting for the local hockey fans, all I need is five more ...
                        AR: ... and the trajectory is straight downhill, and the attendance is keeping pace downwards too.
                        MS: We've had bad luck with the COVID, couldn't do anything about that, I wuz robbed!!!
                        AR: The COVID didn't seem to hurt UMass, or Merrimack this past season ...
                        MS: Okay, okay, I get it. You want me to sacrifice one of my guys. I'll tell Ty tomorrow he's out ...
                        AR: Not quite, Mike. Ty is the least of my concerns. He's not drawing a paycheck for his failures ...
                        MS: FAILURES!?!?! How dare you!! What do YOU know about hockey, little Princeton missy!!
                        AR: What I do know about hockey is that you show very little evidence of being able to coach it successfully.
                        MS: MORE SMEARS!!! I scored two of the biggest goals in the program's history, y'know?!?
                        AR: Relevance, Mr. Souza? You've exhausted your eligibility a generation ago ...
                        MS: Well, Uncle Dick and Papa Marty always said it counted for something ...
                        AR: ... and now you're exhausting my patience. This is what I want to propose to you ...
                        MS: ... "propose to me??" I'm a married man, Richie!! And I do the proposing around here, missy!!!
                        AR: Your chances of an extension this time next year are about the same as the Old Man of the Mountain re-appearing ...
                        MS: ... so you're saying I got a CHANCE??? Yippee!!
                        AR: Not really, not if you're listening anyway. What say I cut you a check for 50% of next year's final salary ...
                        AR: ... and then you don't have to make any of your assistants walk the plank - I'll be the "bad guy" ...
                        AR: ... and we can then say buh-bye and wish you the best of luck in your career away from UNH?
                        MS: You mean ... no lifetime contract, like the one Papa Marty gave to Uncle Dick???
                        AR: Never in a million years, Mike. Consider this an offer you can't refuse, in the vernacular, of course.
                        MS: Of course. Lemme give it some thought.
                        AR: You got 24 hours. Press conference will be set for 11:00 a.m. Monday. So will the check. If you don't show ...
                        MS: ... yeah, what if I don't show???
                        AR: Remember what happened to the smart-*** who turned down The Don's offer in Da Godfaddah?
                        MS: Kinda ...
                        AR: I'd hate to have you waking up Sunday morning with such a ... mess to deal with. Now be a smart guy willya?

Oh my..anyway, by closed, I meant...for right now. If it didn't happen by now, not gonna, and we will just have to see what happens in March 2024.
                        Agree with the comments below by 'Watcher/Darius. I'll say this, and it may seem minor in comparison,
                        but in the years I've followed UNH on social media, I never saw one tweet from Marty (and that's ok; its not for everyone). She's far from lazy. She's actively involved
                        and I have to believe she has her eye on what's up with hockey.

AD Rich is out there promoting her athletes and
                        giving kudos/support. Sounds kinda warm and fuzzy doesn't it...but I think she has it in her to do what's best, but she's not going to cut this coach right now; nope.

Let's goooo Hurricanes!
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Oh my..anyway, by closed, I meant...for right now. If it didn't happen by now, not gonna, and we will just have to see what happens in March 2024.
                          Agree with the comments below by 'Watcher/Darius. I'll say this, and it may seem minor in comparison,
                          but in the years I've followed UNH on social media, I never saw one tweet from Marty (and that's ok; its not for everyone). She's far from lazy. She's actively involved
                          and I have to believe she has her eye on what's up with hockey.

AD Rich is out there promoting her athletes and
                          giving kudos/support. Sounds kinda warm and fuzzy doesn't it...but I think she has it in her to do what's best, but she's not going to cut this coach right now; nope.

Let's goooo Hurricanes!
                          If she had it in her to do what's best than Souza would have been let go a week after she started her posistion...JMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Balin View Post

If she had it in her to do what's best than Souza would have been let go a week after she started her posistion...JMHO.
                            Precedence is an interesting thing isn't it...and seriously? Maybe that is what is 'needed' but you tell me when has that ever happened at UNH...
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Precedence is an interesting thing isn't it...and seriously? Maybe that is what is 'needed' but you tell me when has that ever happened at UNH...
                              Good question, you would probably have to go way back 40's -50's lol. UNH kept Holt too long and Umile too long and we saw the end results. Ref and all, enjoy the nice day and thank you for the dialog.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Balin View Post

Good question, you would probably have to go way back 40's -50's lol. UNH kept Holt too long and Umile too long and we saw the end results. Ref and all, enjoy the nice day and thank you for the dialog.
                                Right back atcha...
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X