UNH Hockey 2023 Off Season Thread Turn and Face the Strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Well if we are going down that road...Such a long long time before the dawn...

R.I.P., David Crosby. Amazing that he lived a long, long time to age 81.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Ten years gone
      Ain't that the sad truth of it all, 'Watcher ... :-(
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

One of the best jazz concerts that I ever heard was the Dave Brubeck Quartet in the field house at U Maine when in grad school there 1972-1974, which hooked me on jazz forever.
        We saw The Brubeck Quartet in (maybe) 1995 in Saratoga. The guys were getting old, but "Take Five" was still a wonderful jam, and outside.

(OK, and perhaps we were a little drunk to boot.)

Here I go into geezer-mode again, but what music is there today that compares favorably to that, in terms of longevity?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

We saw The Brubeck Quartet in (maybe) 1995 in Saratoga. The guys were getting old, but "Take Five" was still a wonderful jam, and outside.
          Saw them (Bobby Militello on alto sax as well) in 2000 at Fitchburg (MA) State College (University now, I guess). My Dad was in a wheelchair with Parkinson's and they let us sit all the way in the front. He was ecstatic. A wonderful memory, and he was gone shortly afterwards (I think Dave was gone in 2012)

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Here I go into geezer-mode again, but what music is there today that compares favorably to that, in terms of longevity?
          There isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
            True story, I was at Mariucci Arena for the UNH-Minnesota women's Frozen Four game as that Holy Cross game was taking place.
            They were giving updates over the PA and jumbotron and the locals were distraught. We, of course, started winding them up with chants of "Holy Cross! Holy Cross!" and "Go Crusaders!" which the Wisconsin pep band and some Badger fans joined in on (Wisco had the early game vs St. Lawrence that day).

To be fair, he didn't say WHEN UNH would win the national championship, or that it would be under him ;-)
            Just to break the string of music history posts ………

TRIVIA: Bentley, which owns a 2-2-0 lifetime record against UNH (with a 15-12 goals advantage), lost to Holy Cross 5-2 at Hart Rink the only time that the Falcons played in the AHA championship game eight days before the Crusaders beat the Gophs 4-3 in the West Regionals semi’s at Englestad on 24 March 2006. The Crusaders goalie Tony Quesada was adept at lifting his net off its posts for a whistle when things got tight without getting called for delay of game penalties.

As for when we will get our NC, Michigan State fan who sold me spare ticket for the Buffalo FF in 2003 told me after Vanek’s second goal that it would happen after the Sox win a WS. By my count, UNH should now have five NC’s.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

TRIVIA: Bentley, which owns a 2-2-0 lifetime record against UNH
              Trivia, Part Two: UNH women's basketball is 9-4 all time against UConn

UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

For brief time, UNH had a fair team video update for the women’s team consistently, which went by the wayside during the MS7 reign…but I’m not familiar with what schools are doing on the men’s side but the “piece de resistance” is Northeastern’s women’s team! They daily post on Twitter, IG, & FB! In today’s women’s athletics, building their online product is essential especially if the team isn’t an annual power! Women’s athletics do post often, so if the men don’t they’re truly numb!!
                Unfortunate Gents, I’m afraid “he didn’t say WHEN” will stand tall for at least the next decade if not longer…

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                  For brief time, UNH had a fair team video update for the women’s team consistently, which went by the wayside during the MS7 reign…but I’m not familiar with what schools are doing on the men’s side but the “piece de resistance” is Northeastern’s women’s team! They daily post on Twitter, IG, & FB! In today’s women’s athletics, building their online product is essential especially if the team isn’t an annual power! Women’s athletics do post often, so if the men don’t they’re truly numb!!
                  Unfortunate Gents, I’m afraid “he didn’t say WHEN” will stand tall for at least the next decade if not longer…
                  UNH Men's Hockey has an active internet presence using all the platforms that I'm aware of (FB, Twitter, Insta). They post about games and other things like trivia about the team (more on Insta). But they haven't done a lengthy video as of late (at least, not that I'm aware of?) There was a weekly podcast that 2 UNH journo students were doing but that seemed to stop when the team hit
                  the 11 game losing skid. Not much comes out of UNH outside of these things; so much for the 'weekly presser', and before the pandemic, the events at Red Hook Brewery where they'd host a UNH
                  team; invite coaches/players.

Always glad to read C-H-C's blog about incoming prospects; seems that is the most active news information-

If you (or anyone else who's interested) in reading UMO's Coach's letter to fans its been posted on the Maine thread. Its obvious he has a strong affinity with his players...
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

UNH Director of Athletics Allison Rich announced Tuesday that the contract of head coach Bill Herrion will not be renewed. A national search will be conducted for the next Wildcat men’s basketball head coach. "We wish Bill all the best and thank him for dedicating 18 seasons to UNH Men's Basketball. However, after careful consideration, I have determined that it is time for new leadership to continue advancing the program," Rich said.
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-14-2023, 02:18 PM.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

UNH Director of Athletics Allison Rich announced Tuesday that the contract of head coach Bill Herrion will not be renewed. A national search will be conducted for the next Wildcat men’s basketball head coach. "We wish Bill all the best and thank him for dedicating 18 seasons to UNH Men's Basketball. However, after careful consideration, I have determined that it is time for new leadership to continue advancing the program," Rich said.
                      https://unhwildcats.com/news/2023/3/...nContract.aspx
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

The appetizer is quite delicious, however I'm worried the main course will be overcooked by about one year and just be totally underwhelming

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post

The appetizer is quite delicious, however I'm worried the main course will be overcooked by about one year and just be totally underwhelming
                          At least...she is showing she's ready to make improvements. Am not trying to disparage Bill Herrion. The man put in 18 years of his life into that program and from the Twitter
                          posts I am reading he was well liked and respected by those in the America East. If anyone out there has additional insight into his contributions at UNH I hope you
                          will post them. I always feel kind of sad when this kind of thing happens, but also realize, there is a season for everything...

DB62 you are concerned there will be a possible one year tacked on for good measure? I'd think she has more than enough to gauge a non renewal decision
                          after next season. That said, if things turn around for UNH hockey next season, and I mean, a trip to the Garden at least, I could / would be on board. But there has to
                          be a definite improvement that has a big pay off...
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Thanks for posting the link...
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

So, this sends the message that existing "UNH family" will still be nudged out by the new AD, even in non-revenue sports. On the negotiation/leverage issue, it sends a message to MS7 that the gig will be up next year at the latest. With that volley, its now up to him to decide whether the wants to ride it out and collect $240, while miserable, or maybe take $200 and move on to a gig that he would enjoy, perhaps making up the extra $40 from that gig.

From his perspective, he may also decide that the core freshmen he suffered with this year will put UNH into the top 8, and hope that is good enough "progress" in the eyes of the AD. Then the volley is back to AD Rich, as to whether she wants to go to $240.
                              Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-14-2023, 02:42 PM.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

“A national search will be conducted for the next Wildcat men's basketball head coach.”

With next season’s first game seven months away and practice sooner, is it likely that contacts have been made and a few acceptable and willing candidates identified or is the search just beginning? The latter seems risky although it’s not like we’re replacing John Wooden so W-L improvement is not all that difficult.
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X