X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Good for 'Mack!!! Wow what a game!!!
    Warriors vs Ospreys at Garden.

The most annoying part for me at the Garden in March 2011 was the Warriors’ goal song (stolen from Chicago Blackhawks) that they somehow got played illegally on the loudspeaker system, four times in the semi’s and three more times in the final game. Uggghhh!
    Last edited by Snively65; 03-11-2023, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

Warriors vs Ospreys at Garden.

The most annoying part for me at the Garden in March 2011 was the Warriors’ goal song (stolen from Chicago Blackhawks) that they somehow got played illegally on the loudspeaker system, four times in the semi’s and three more times in the final game. Uggghhh!
      Not one of my fave goal songs! I can tell you their fans are super fired up wonder how they will do for fan support at the TD. Personally I'm happy they are in and wish them the best going forward.

Was 2011 their last appearance at the TD? Sorry it was a long night haha am still in town battling sleep deprivation and daylight savings time haha...

****Answered my own q...Twitter CHN says its their first appearance in 12 years. UNH isnt far behind with a headline like that. Hope MC takes it!
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-12-2023, 07:59 AM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        Seems appropriate!! I just watched this a few weeks ago...one of Mel's best and esp this character. So many great moments in this film.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Why cannot we get coaches like Scott(y) Borek?
          He was some happy last night..we sat behind their bench. Good for Scott (y)!!! He has a great group out there I've a feeling they are playing for Josh...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Here is a chart of the cumulative records of every current Hockey East coach who has been behind the bench for more than one season (i.e., it doesn't include Greg Brown or Jay Pandolfo):

It turns out that Coach Souza's record is very similar to Coach Cavanaugh's record, with the difference that Coach Cavanaugh had a winning first season as he wasn't in Hockey East. So, it's possible that Coach Souza will have winning seasons in another 4 years. That said, for most successful coaches you see an improving record over the first 5 seasons, not a worsening record*.

Sean

* Note: several coaches have had great first seasons making it very hard to improve their cumulative winning percentage over succeeding seasons. However, they usually remain well above 0.500 and most of the time above 0.600. Coach Bazin is an example of a coach who started strong and continued strong over his first five seasons.
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

He was some happy last night..we sat behind their bench. Good for Scott (y)!!! He has a great group out there I've a feeling they are playing for Josh...
              The Warriors looked happy immediately postgame on NESN.

Cool graphic, Sean. Many thanks. Uncanny parallel between Luce’s and MS7’s cumulative win percentages the past four seasons.

Comment

m

Not one of my fave goal songs! I can tell you their fans are super fired up wonder how they will do for fan support at the TD. Personally I'm happy they are in and wish them the best going forward.

Was 2011 their last appearance at the TD? Sorry it was a long night haha am still in town battling sleep deprivation and daylight savings time haha...

****Answered my own q...Twitter CHN says its their first appearance in 12 years. UNH isnt far behind with a headline like that. Hope MC takes it!
                So, to close the 2011 Garden loop on this thread, we lost 4-1 to the Warriors in the HEA semi’s in 2011.

Now a question for PWR geeks: if Friars were to beat Warriors in HEA championship game, what else would need to happen to get PC, Mac, and BU into NCAA’s?
                Last edited by Snively65; 03-12-2023, 12:54 PM.

Comment

So, to close the 2011 Garden loop on this thread, we lost 4-1 to the Warriors in the HEA semi’s in 2011.

Now a question for PWR geeks: if Friars were to beat Warriors in HEA championship game, what else would need to happen to get PC, Mac, and BU into NCAA’s?
                  Not a PWR geek but this is from Mike McMahon on Twitter about this: (might be behind a pay wall but hit 'keep reading')

The gist of it is:

According to the @chnews
                  PWR Probability Matrix, only 15 teams can earn at-large bids. That means the only thing that can eliminate Alaska, Merrimack, etc. would be non-qualifying teams winning automatic bids, and many of those teams are still left.

Right now I think MC is sitting at 14 in PWR? PC is 24th so unless they win HE I don't see how PC gets in? BU seems like a lock...Hope that at least ONE HE team is playing in ManchVegas...
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-12-2023, 02:16 PM.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Not a PWR geek but this is from Mike McMahon on Twitter about this: (might be behind a pay wall but hit 'keep reading')

The gist of it is:

According to the @chnews
                    PWR Probability Matrix, only 15 teams can earn at-large bids. That means the only thing that can eliminate Alaska, Merrimack, etc. would be non-qualifying teams winning automatic bids, and many of those teams are still left.

Right now I think MC is sitting at 14 in PWR? PC is 24th so unless they win HE I don't see how PC gets in? BU seems like a lock...Hope that at least ONE HE team is playing in ManchVegas...
                    Exactly, PC needs to win HEA and an auto bid, but wondering what it would take for Mac to hang in there at 14th. The AHA auto bid takes 16th, and I believe that Alaska is vulnerable at 15th should any team other than DU or St Clown wins NACHO, or if Colgate wins ECAC, or if Northern Michigan wins CCHA. If two of these three things happen, I think that Mac gets bounced from 14th. But there may be other PWR subtitles that I am missing. For example, would Northern Michigan knock Minn State out of 13th? Will know the other two teams in the NACHO final four after tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                      Here is a chart of the cumulative records of every current Hockey East coach who has been behind the bench for more than one season (i.e., it doesn't include Greg Brown or Jay Pandolfo):

It turns out that Coach Souza's record is very similar to Coach Cavanaugh's record, with the difference that Coach Cavanaugh had a winning first season as he wasn't in Hockey East. So, it's possible that Coach Souza will have winning seasons in another 4 years. That said, for most successful coaches you see an improving record over the first 5 seasons, not a worsening record*.

Sean

* Note: several coaches have had great first seasons making it very hard to improve their cumulative winning percentage over succeeding seasons. However, they usually remain well above 0.500 and most of the time above 0.600. Coach Bazin is an example of a coach who started strong and continued strong over his first five seasons.
                      I'm rooting for Norm and his Riverhawks. The guy has always been a class act, and has been cranking out winning D-1 hockey in Lowell for a long time with little if any fanfare. Fantastic to see these Merrimack Valley rivals meeting with something important on the line next weekend.

I've been looking for someplace to haunt the microscopic/myopic UConn Hockey fanbase about Luce lololololol ...
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Exactly, PC needs to win HEA and an auto bid, but wondering what it would take for Mac to hang in there at 14th. The AHA auto bid takes 16th, and I believe that Alaska is vulnerable at 15th should any team other than DU or St Clown wins NACHO, or if Colgate wins ECAC, or if Northern Michigan wins CCHA. If two of these three things happen, I think that Mac gets bounced from 14th. But there may be other PWR subtitles that I am missing. For example, would Northern Michigan knock Minn State out of 13th? Will know the other two teams in the NACHO final four after tonight.
                        How 'bout those Crusaders?? (Holy Cross)..dark horse team? And, of course, am well aware they aren't in HE :-) Also well aware we lost to them this season. But, I do not wanna say anything bad about UNH. I'm on a new kick of not saying bad things about UNH. Blew out my torch and put the pitch fork away...We all just need to be happy 'round here and cheer on those other deserving teams, like Holy Cross for example. There's always next year!!

Chuck, I can't root for UML, I just can't, as they broke my heart in too many HE clashes. I'm totally on board for the Friars!! I will say that I respect the work Norm has done, but, seeing how Nate Leaman has yet to win a HE crown (to go along with his National title; this will seem minor in comparison..)

Back up? Merrimack. Can't wait for Friday! Psyched to go to the Garden but will be incognito...(might wear my UNH hat)
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-12-2023, 07:59 PM.
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

More PWR insight from Mike McMahon:

Teams 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, all out of their conference tournaments. Makes figuring out the Pairwise a lot easier. The NCAA field comes down to whether or not enough “spoiler” teams can knock out teams 15, 14, 13, or even 12 by winning automatic bids from outside of the Top 15.
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Chuck, I can't root for UML, I just can't, as they broke my heart in too many HE clashes. I'm totally on board for the Friars!! I will say that I respect the work Norm has done, but, seeing how Nate Leaman has yet to win a HE crown (to go along with his National title; this will seem minor in comparison..)
                            Nate Leaman is one of the luckiest guys in D-1 hockey. Not to say he isn't a very good coach, but his D-1 title happened when the opposing goalie literally threw the puck into his own net. But for that moment, he'd be just another Dick Umile or Norm Bazin, without the multiple HEA titles the other two guys have. I believe Leaman was also a volunteer assistant on one of Walshy's national title team(s*) so he's enjoyed a fair share of the rub 'o the green.

So, Norm Bazin beat UNH a few times in the postseason. Big whoop, so have a lot of other coaches. It's his job to beat UNH (and everyone else), and he's never ever been a total jackwagon when they did it. He gets none of the Boston-team home cooking that BU, BC and now NU seem to get in the Garden games. Let's put it this way ... whichever team wins the Merrimack Valley title (and I'm with Lowell), then I hope they take it all the way to the HEA Finals trophy, and go for a deep run in the national tourney. Bazin OR Borek, good luck to youze guys!! :-)
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Wayne Shorter passed away this past week. With the passing of Jaco Pastorius in 1987 and Joe Zawinul in 2007 that leaves only the two percussionists Alex Acuna and Manolo Badvena alive from the fine album Heavy Weather by the great jazz/rock fusion band Weather Report in 1977.
                              I had that one on reel-to-reel, NS! A great album.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

I had that one on reel-to-reel, NS! A great album.
                                I still have it on Vinyl and saw it for a few bucks on Amazon in CD format so I bought it just recently. Guess their are few old folks on here : ) Assuming like me you got Weather Report when you were young. High School days for me.
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X