Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Offseason...Belly Up to the Barr Boys

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    https://twitter.com/PentictonVees/st...76626867785728

    Comment


    • #77
      Something interesting I just took a few minutes to research:

      Number of Players Currently In The Transfer Portal:

      Northeastern - 9
      Massachusetts - 8
      ​​​​​​Providence - 7
      Boston College - 6
      Vermont - 6
      ​​New Hampshire - 5
      Massachusetts-Lowell - 4
      Maine - 4
      Connecticut - 1
      Merrimack - 0
      Boston University - 0

      To this point it looks like this staff is doing well at convincing players to stay.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
        Something interesting I just took a few minutes to research:

        Number of Players Currently In The Transfer Portal:

        Northeastern - 9
        Massachusetts - 8
        ​​​​​​Providence - 7
        Boston College - 6
        Vermont - 6
        ​​New Hampshire - 5
        Massachusetts-Lowell - 4
        Maine - 4
        Connecticut - 1
        Merrimack - 0
        Boston University - 0

        To this point it looks like this staff is doing well at convincing players to stay.
        NU has only 8. Ryan St. Louis, who left the team, in Jan 2022 to return, to the USHL was not in this year' Transfer Portal. Only two of the eight were undergrads who play regularly.

        Comment


        • #79
          I suspect the 4 at Maine is fewer than the coaches would like. They have to make room for incoming Freshman and any transfers they like. Only Michaelian, Henbrant and Sirota moved out of college hockey.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by OronoKO View Post
            I suspect the 4 at Maine is fewer than the coaches would like. They have to make room for incoming Freshman and any transfers they like. Only Michaelian, Henbrant and Sirota moved out of college hockey.
            Yup.

            And the small number of Maine guys in the portal could very easily be indicative of the lack of outside interest in the current roster.

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by OronoKO View Post
              I suspect the 4 at Maine is fewer than the coaches would like. They have to make room for incoming Freshman and any transfers they like. Only Michaelian, Henbrant and Sirota moved out of college hockey.
              I definitely would have preferred keeping Duerr and Fawcett over some guys that are staying.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

                I definitely would have preferred keeping Duerr and Fawcett over some guys that are staying.
                Still some housecleaning to go.

                Having watched most of the hockey last week, hadnt seen most of them play this season, impressive what an elite skill level some teams have.


                Comment


                • #83
                  I expect we'll see a forward group that looks something like:

                  Nadeau Breen Houle
                  Poisson Renwick Nadeau
                  Freel Hanson Trudeau
                  Carney Lindauer Pabich

                  That leaves KO, Mancinelli, Calafiore. I don't know if any other freshman forwards are coming in (Weiss ages out of junior, but didn't play much last year), but it doesn't leave much room for incoming transfers.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by OronoKO View Post
                    I expect we'll see a forward group that looks something like:

                    Nadeau Breen Houle
                    Poisson Renwick Nadeau
                    Freel Hanson Trudeau
                    Carney Lindauer Pabich

                    That leaves KO, Mancinelli, Calafiore. I don't know if any other freshman forwards are coming in (Weiss ages out of junior, but didn't play much last year), but it doesn't leave much room for incoming transfers.
                    I bet KO gets regular playing time again next year, at least I hope so. I'm pretty sure he was hurt last year and I liked his game a lot, he was great on the faceoff dot.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      I came on this thread before the season and you folks jumped on me for questioning the recruiting and the portal players. now here we are, do you like the picture at Maine? Remember your recruiting coach is key to the staff, and average portal players will not out do bringing in a player that will stay 4 years and get better every year

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Puckstopper467 View Post
                        I came on this thread before the season and you folks jumped on me for questioning the recruiting and the portal players. now here we are, do you like the picture at Maine? Remember your recruiting coach is key to the staff, and average portal players will not out do bringing in a player that will stay 4 years and get better every year
                        The issues at Maine will not get solved with one or two recruiting classes. Patience will be needed. With the NIL no one knows who will stay and who will go. NIL puts small schools like Maine at a disadvantage.

                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

                        Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by Puckstopper467 View Post
                          I came on this thread before the season and you folks jumped on me for questioning the recruiting and the portal players. now here we are, do you like the picture at Maine? Remember your recruiting coach is key to the staff, and average portal players will not out do bringing in a player that will stay 4 years and get better every year
                          I believe Maine had 11 in their freshman class this past year and the portal players they brought in were pretty effective.

                          Now they are adding the two top scorers in the BCHL and one of the best d men in that league. Maine has more players committed than any other school in hockey east. Maine has done everything but abuse the portal. Landing high level transfers isn’t the formula for Maine but it’s worth taking a shot on guys with potential.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by Puckstopper467 View Post
                            I came on this thread before the season and you folks jumped on me for questioning the recruiting and the portal players. now here we are, do you like the picture at Maine? Remember your recruiting coach is key to the staff, and average portal players will not out do bringing in a player that will stay 4 years and get better every year
                            Not everyone here jumps on posters, some do for whatever odd reason. Civility is another thing sliding away with our culture.

                            Imo the situation here has improved from coaching, Barr notably improved locker room culture, player skills, player conditioning, brought the style of play more in line with how other successful programs play. Fans noticed all this and there was an uptick this year in fan enthusiasm.

                            The need for more skilled players in the roster is definite. This will take a while, a couple of top BCHL players, brothers from NB, will help but arent the full solution by a long shot. Several of Barrs recruits so far have been excellent, this is an encouraging sign for the future of his ability to recruit here. His players have improved defense in a big way as compared to the last several years. So the future looks brighter but I still say we need to wait until Barr year 4 or 5.
                            The alfond player facility improvements are absolutely necessary for the future of recruiting. How far off is this - unknown right now.

                            Having said all this the biggest downside/challenge we are going to continue facing, and may never get a leg over on is having enough funding to sustain a hockey program fans here would like to see again. Hard to do on the cheap and it seems the gap is widening around D1. I say that without any real data other than what can be seen for coach salaries throughout.
                            Last edited by NorthMike; 03-29-2023, 07:43 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by Puckstopper467 View Post
                              I came on this thread before the season and you folks jumped on me for questioning the recruiting and the portal players. now here we are, do you like the picture at Maine? Remember your recruiting coach is key to the staff, and average portal players will not out do bringing in a player that will stay 4 years and get better every year
                              I for one am still perfectly content with the recruiting situation for us. I was kind of surprised to see the borderline negative reaction to my post. I think the staff has a great formula and a clear vision in place and we should be excited but also patient.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

                                I for one am still perfectly content with the recruiting situation for us. I was kind of surprised to see the borderline negative reaction to my post. I think the staff has a great formula and a clear vision in place and we should be excited but also patient.
                                I wish I shared your optimism. I think recruiting is going to have to improve significantly for Maine to even stay where they are. Barr has done a good job coaching but his recruiting has been very disappointing.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X