No announcement yet.

UMaine Offseason...Belly Up to the Barr Boys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the ncaa not revisit the major jr and khl rules in light of NIL anyway? I mean the QB for Clemson is probably pulling in more $$ than this kid ever cooda got from the K anyway

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• With Duda on Campus. Does it mean he can play hockey @UMaine sometime this season(*sitting out a designated amt. of games/ or play second semester)...or can he just practice with the team and begin play next October 2024..?

Comment

• Originally posted by 9twenty View Post
        With Duda on Campus. Does it mean he can play hockey @UMaine sometime this season(*sitting out a designated amt. of games/ or play second semester)...or can he just practice with the team and begin play next October 2024..?
        The fact that he is on campus is a really good sign in my opinion. Also a sign that he has cleared any university hurdles in place.

I’d be surprised if he suits up for the first game but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him this year. I don’t know if the fact that this has generated some buzz on Twitter/News is good or bad for Maine but time will tell.

Taking a chance like this is exactly why we hired Barr in the first place. If this works out, it will be quite the heist. The leadership on this years team should be excellent and I think the leadership group will take this guy under their wing to make sure he’s comfortable.

Comment

With Duda on Campus. Does it mean he can play hockey @UMaine sometime this season(*sitting out a designated amt. of games/ or play second semester)...or can he just practice with the team and begin play next October 2024..?
          I know nothing about the technical aspects of this, but since he is here and signed he will play this season. Its very likely we will have him for one or maybe two seasons, so with a short path to the pros Im sure he wouldnt waste his time sitting for a year or even half a season.
          Last edited by NorthMike; 06-18-2023, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Well all good points on Duda and what could or may happen...time will tell.

Comment

• Alumni news: Colin Shields was one of three athletes from Northern Ireland awarded an MBE this year. He remains Great Britain's all-time leading scorer in international play.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/65928794

Comment

• I don’t think him being on campus is very significant in this situation. All it means is he was accepted to the school and received a visa to enter the country. I suspect his Maine motivation is to avoid being sent to Ukraine and maybe being in school helps his cause more than playing hockey professionally?

It’s hard to know if his only eligibility issue is the pro hockey he played or if there are academic issues as well. I agree with BlackBear19 it’s unlikely he plays on opening night. For me if he is eligible for the second half it would be a huge win. He’s someone who should make all three of Maine’s d pairs better. I don’t see the out of conference games having much importance so him being in the majority of the league games would be a really nice boost.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Let's just squash something else too..he was pursued by multiple hockey east schools and chose Maine. Don't believe the drivel you read on Facebook groups.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    I don’t think him being on campus is very significant in this situation. All it means is he was accepted to the school and received a visa to enter the country. I suspect his Maine motivation is to avoid being sent to Ukraine and maybe being in school helps his cause more than playing hockey professionally?

It’s hard to know if his only eligibility issue is the pro hockey he played or if there are academic issues as well. I agree with BlackBear19 it’s unlikely he plays on opening night. For me if he is eligible for the second half it would be a huge win. He’s someone who should make all three of Maine’s d pairs better. I don’t see the out of conference games having much importance so him being in the majority of the league games would be a really nice boost.
                    Lots of folks come from Russia to Orono for no reason. If he is on campus now, he is going to be enrolled in summer school and skating at Alfond. Whether he plays opening night who knows at this point, I wouldn’t doubt staying away from the Ukraine factors into Him being anywhere but Russia .
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• I think NorthMike already said it, but I can't imagine a guy of his caliber not playing for a year. If I'm him, I would have to think pretty hard before giving up even a significant portion (read: semester) of a year. He needs glossy numbers (stats) so he can generate glossy numbers (Benjamins). Watching from the stands doesn't pay off.
                      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                        I think NorthMike already said it, but I can't imagine a guy of his caliber not playing for a year. If I'm him, I would have to think pretty hard before giving up even a significant portion (read: semester) of a year. He needs glossy numbers (stats) so he can generate glossy numbers (Benjamins). Watching from the stands doesn't pay off.
                        I guess the NCAA will have the final say on his situation and when he begins play. So far everything seems ok...but????, I would also be ready in case there's disappointment too...in that he sits for 4-6 games, or half a semester....either way if he's Maine or another college program he would have to abide with NCAA rules.
                        Last edited by 9twenty; 06-21-2023, 03:00 AM.

Comment

....either way if he's Maine or another college program he would have to abide with NCAA rules.
                          What ?? Are you kiddin, we dont abide by any pesky NCAA rules here !! (insert ginormous smiley here)
                          Last edited by acs64; 06-21-2023, 11:08 AM.
                          I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post

What ?? Are you kiddin, we dont abide by any pesky NCAA rules here !! (insert ginormous smiley here)
                            I plead the fifth.....

Comment

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post

Paging Chuck Murray
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post

Paging Chuck Murray
                                He's unpageable. Out helping his AD write a contract extension for MS7
                                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X