Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2023 Off-season: We March Fourth Into the Off-season

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    No name change for the trophy.... No mention as to whether the lightning bolt will be added to the "U".... ha ha

    https://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...n-HP-spotlight
    I actually think the U with the bolt in it looks pretty cool, although I was fine with just the block U. I like that they tried to connect it to a part of Schenectady history, but not sure how current residents view GE. Regardless, might be an opportunity to breathe some life into Union's rather dull hockey uniforms. I think the black/garnet template they use is one of the weaker uniforms in hockey.

    I am generally indifferent to these name changes, although the processes that I have seen can expose some ridiculous positions and behavior on both sides of the debate. In defense of Union, I don't think they announced any politically-correct reason for the change, so I think we have to be careful about jumping to conclusions. Whether one likes the nickname or design is certainly within the bounds of debate, but sometimes it is as simple as a school and its students deciding that they want to go into a different direction to brand the teams--I think that's consistent with decision to keep the historical "Dutchman Shoes" trophy--and I don't see a problem with having a process for those changes to be considered. The decisions might be the wrong ones, a la RPI Red Hawks, but you can always change back.

    Schools like Amherst and Syracuse have changed nicknames and mascots in recent years. Regardless of what you think of the debate that occurred at those schools, it appears almost everyone has moved on. Current students seemed to embrace the changes and the vast majority of alumni were supportive or, more likely, indifferent. People still buy new gear, people still go to the games. I predict the same will happen at Union.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

      I actually think the U with the bolt in it looks pretty cool, although I was fine with just the block U. I like that they tried to connect it to a part of Schenectady history, but not sure how current residents view GE. Regardless, might be an opportunity to breathe some life into Union's rather dull hockey uniforms. I think the black/garnet template they use is one of the weaker uniforms in hockey.

      I am generally indifferent to these name changes, although the processes that I have seen can expose some ridiculous positions and behavior on both sides of the debate. In defense of Union, I don't think they announced any politically-correct reason for the change, so I think we have to be careful about jumping to conclusions. Whether one likes the nickname or design is certainly within the bounds of debate, but sometimes it is as simple as a school and its students deciding that they want to go into a different direction to brand the teams--I think that's consistent with decision to keep the historical "Dutchman Shoes" trophy--and I don't see a problem with having a process for those changes to be considered. The decisions might be the wrong ones, a la RPI Red Hawks, but you can always change back.

      Schools like Amherst and Syracuse have changed nicknames and mascots in recent years. Regardless of what you think of the debate that occurred at those schools, it appears almost everyone has moved on. Current students seemed to embrace the changes and the vast majority of alumni were supportive or, more likely, indifferent. People still buy new gear, people still go to the games. I predict the same will happen at Union.
      I too have seen nothing to indicate the change was due to any political correctness campaign. Those speculating about it seem to be the type that find a conspiracy in everything.

      As for the name, I think it sounds terrible, but it's their choice what they want to be called and if it generates support among their students and alums more power to them. I'll just wonder about their taste, but I always wonder that about any rival. With regard to the logo, I don't like the little spike at the bottom. To me, it would look better if they designed the lightning bolt tip to be at the bottom of the U, rather than deforming it.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

        I too have seen nothing to indicate the change was due to any political correctness campaign. Those speculating about it seem to be the type that find a conspiracy in everything.

        As for the name, I think it sounds terrible, but it's their choice what they want to be called and if it generates support among their students and alums more power to them. I'll just wonder about their taste, but I always wonder that about any rival. With regard to the logo, I don't like the little spike at the bottom. To me, it would look better if they designed the lightning bolt tip to be at the bottom of the U, rather than deforming it.
        Agree "Garnet Chargers" is a little clunky. Just "Chargers" would have been better, but I wonder if trademark issues influenced the final choices.

        Comment


        • Today is 8 August 2023. There are 60 days until RPI's next game.


          This is based upon 7 October 2023 for the start of next season.



          sigpic

          Let's Go 'Tute!

          Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

          2012 Poser Of The Year

          Comment


          • Originally posted by sezenack View Post
            Are we ever going to get the incoming recruiting class? jfc
            I don't remember if it was formally announced, but one would think that our senior Associate AD, Kevin Beattie, is the Acting AD. Is that holding up the works on the communications side? If so, they'd better make a hire soon as the backlog threatens to roll right into the fall season.

            Comment


            • Today is 9 August 2023. There are 59 days until RPI's next game.


              This is based upon 7 October 2023 for the start of next season.



              sigpic

              Let's Go 'Tute!

              Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

              2012 Poser Of The Year

              Comment


              • Sezenack et al. interview with Coach Smith on 8/15.

                https://twitter.com/RPI_Hockey/statu...05697635205120
                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 08-09-2023, 12:39 PM.
                sigpic

                Let's Go 'Tute!

                Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                2012 Poser Of The Year

                Comment


                • Sezenack, can you post the zoom meeting after it is done? Not sure I can make it, but would love to hear it.

                  Comment


                  • Today is 10 August 2023. There are 58 days until RPI's next game.


                    This is based upon 7 October 2023 for the start of next season.



                    sigpic

                    Let's Go 'Tute!

                    Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                    2012 Poser Of The Year

                    Comment


                    • Sezenack can you ask Dave during your Q+A when the athletic department will get their **** together.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Engineers View Post
                        Sezenack can you ask Dave during your Q+A when the athletic department will get their **** together.
                        HA HA.... LOL.... Yes ! I am sure there is NO ONE more interested in this than Smitty !! Ha ha Hopefully we'll have a hire soon. I believe application close date was three or so weeks ago, so they ought to have an interview list by now.
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

                          HA HA.... LOL.... Yes ! I am sure there is NO ONE more interested in this than Smitty !! Ha ha Hopefully we'll have a hire soon. I believe application close date was three or so weeks ago, so they ought to have an interview list by now.
                          It has to be driving Smitty crazy. Why is everything done at a snails pace at RPI? If they were any slower they would be in reverse. Also I get kevin Beattie has more thrown on his plate with McElroy leaving but is he the only one in communications? Nobody can pick up the slack for kevin? Not blaming Beattie but the show has to go on right? The football season started last week and they have last years rosters up. It’s embarrassing. Sezenack hopefully the rosters come out in the next few days otherwise you might not have much to talk about lol. You can only talk about muzzatti and the schedule for so long.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

                            HA HA.... LOL.... Yes ! I am sure there is NO ONE more interested in this than Smitty !! Ha ha Hopefully we'll have a hire soon. I believe application close date was three or so weeks ago, so they ought to have an interview list by now.
                            I certainly hope they have an interview list after 3 weeks. Jesus how much did it cost them to hire Parker executive services? 100k to say we found 4 candidates that you already knew would make fantastic athletic directors. It makes no sense

                            Comment


                            • It's here, the newcomer list!

                              https://rpiathletics.com/news/2023/8...newcomers.aspx
                              sigpic

                              Let's Go 'Tute!

                              Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                              2012 Poser Of The Year

                              Comment


                              • The list contains the newcomers' numbers. Matta is #61 and Payant #71. Since those number of days left have passed, I will honor them tomorrow and Saturday.


                                Edit: Sullivan is the only one of the 8 newcomers who will be using the same number as he did last season. Weird.
                                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 08-10-2023, 03:55 PM.
                                sigpic

                                Let's Go 'Tute!

                                Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                                2012 Poser Of The Year

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X