Latest pairwise rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    I haven't seen this mentioned so if it has I apologize.

It's possible that the mighty B1G won't even be in the final. What happens if that occurs?

Does the ECAC or HE get to lay claim to the title of best conference?

Do certain peoples heads explode?

Does the hockey world spontaneously combust?

Does the world end?
    If Brown and St Lawrence want to get at large bids, they need your boys to schedule Lidenwood for 8 ooc games at Q home ice next season.
    then ezac will be the top conference.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

If Brown and St Lawrence want to get at large bids, they need your boys to schedule Lidenwood for 8 ooc games at Q home ice next season.
      then ezac will be the top conference.

You can't honestly believe that?

If I didn't know you, I'd think you were being critical of Quinipiac, who got to their #2 ranking by playing a schedule chock full of weakass creampuffs, but I have seen enough of your posts to know you are trying to rip on the B1G.

PSU played 8 games vs Top 3 rated teams, Q played ZERO.
      PSU played 15 games vs Top 7 rated teams, Q played ZERO.

15 > 0.

PSU played 25 games vs Top 20 rated teams, Q played just 8.

25 > 8

PSU played just 10 games vs the Bottom 30 rated teams, Q played 21 games vs the Bottom 30 rated teams.

Yes, Penn St played 2 games vs #54 Mercyhurst and 2 games vs #50 St Thomas and 2 games vs #42 Canisius.
      But, Quinipiac played 5 games vs #59 LIU & #60 Dart and 4 games vs #54 Yale and 2 games vs #51 Rensselaer.

Comment

• Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post

You can't honestly believe that?

If I didn't know you, I'd think you were being critical of Quinipiac, who got to their #2 ranking by playing a schedule chock full of weakass creampuffs, but I have seen enough of your posts to know you are trying to rip on the B1G.

PSU played 8 games vs Top 3 rated teams, Q played ZERO.
        PSU played 15 games vs Top 7 rated teams, Q played ZERO.

15 > 0.

PSU played 25 games vs Top 20 rated teams, Q played just 8.

25 > 8

PSU played just 10 games vs the Bottom 30 rated teams, Q played 21 games vs the Bottom 30 rated teams.

Yes, Penn St played 2 games vs #54 Mercyhurst and 2 games vs #50 St Thomas and 2 games vs #42 Canisius.
        But, Quinipiac played 5 games vs #59 LIU & #60 Dart and 4 games vs #54 Yale and 2 games vs #51 Rensselaer.
        Dartmouth, Yale, and RPI are league opponents... QU has no choice but to play them.
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
        Northeast Regional:
        West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• Whoa boy, that lengthy attempt made mookie’s taint hurt.

Q had on their ooc schedule a weekend at Sioux and a weekend in Orono. They traveled to bc.

you already recapped pedd st ooc in its entirety (all cupcakes) so mookie is spared here.
          ironic that the hockeys follow the footballers (except the rape room, Lahemdullah)

get easy wins to start the season then have the big boys in conf kick the turds outta them. And then win the equivalent of the citrus bowl.

at least like Q, umich, bu, and the goofs played solid ooc schedules and they advance to the rose and sugar bowls. 4 proud teams there!!
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Whoa boy, that lengthy attempt made mookie’s taint hurt.

Q had on their ooc schedule a weekend at Sioux and a weekend in Orono. They traveled to bc.

you already recapped pedd st ooc in its entirety (all cupcakes) so mookie is spared here.
            ironic that the hockeys follow the footballers (except the rape room, Lahemdullah)

get easy wins to start the season then have the big boys in conf kick the turds outta them. And then win the equivalent of the citrus bowl.

at least like Q, umich, bu, and the goofs played solid ooc schedules and they advance to the rose and sugar bowls. 4 proud teams there!!
            For whatever reason, many western teams simply won't come to Hamden. Our coach talks about all the offers to go west without any reciprocation. He feels that Q has earned that much, and many agree. I can count on one hand the Western teams that have been in Hamden: NoDak, SCSU, OSU, UNO, BGSU.

I'll be the 1st to admit our schedule this season was weak. Not much we could do with the ECAC still recovering from 8 teams missing a whole season. But you have to play the games on your schedule. We did that.
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            Northeast Regional:

Comment

• This thread is really amusing. People arguing over who is best now, past 3 years, past 5, all time, if in the conference now or then. I must admit this year the B1G 'may' have been the best conference but they have not won the FF yet. I wouldn't be surprised if top to bottom the most even conference was Hockey East and you are dealing with 11 schools that could beat each other on any given night. In fact, if the B1G doesn't win then they will not have won it in 15 years. Let's look at those 15 years which includes this year: NCHC 6 titles (3 different schools), Hockey East 6 titles (4 different schools), ECAC 2 titles (2 different schools). Add in this year if BU wins, Hockey East (7 titles still 4 schools), NCHC (still 6 titles 3 schools) ECAC
              if Quinnipiac wins (3 titles 3 schools) and B1G if one of their teams wins (1 title).

Comment

What's really turned them so silent is that they fear, or know, that this is a trend that will probably continue going forward. It probably won't be an every season thing, but it's very unlikely to regress back to how it was like the first few years when the B1G only got 1 team to the Frozen Four in those first 3 years and only 2 compared to the NCHC's 7 in the first 4 years. The NCHC started out with several advantages that helped it start out more successful, but were or are not the type of advantages that will help them sustain the success they had from 2014-2021 far into the future, at least not in my opinion.

On the other hand, the B1G started out with some disadvantages that just needed some time to overcome, and the advantages the B1G has, also needed time to kick in. Have those disadvantages all been overcome? Have all of those advantages fully kicked in? Is the recent trend(4 Frozen Four teams for the B1G compared to just 1 for the NCHC) going to continue and be an annual thing? I don't know for sure. I'm sure the NCHC will bounce back to some degree. If not as a whole, a couple teams or at least one team should have some good seasons going forward.

Comparing the 2 conferences future potential, I'd say the B1G's potential going forward is far better than the NCHC's.

Miami of Ohio? Omaha? WMU? CC? None of these schools have ever had more than a few really good seasons. All are small schools with no big time football or men's bb to help fund anything they want to do with their hockey program or their athletics dept in general. None of them have tons of money or a lot of alums with money to make things happen. What do these schools offer outside of playing in the NCHC? I'm not saying it's impossible that they could develop into legit powers, I mean UMD figured out how to do it, but I think UMD had an advantage that they don't have, that being located in the state of hockey and being close to Canada and also having a successful women's program as well as a successful football program that helped give the fans a taste of what it's like to have a championship team, but I am just saying it's unlikely.

Compare those 4 to the bottom of the B1G, OSU, Notre Dame & depending on when you are talking about, Michigan St and/or Wisconsin, both Wisconsin and Mich St have several Natl Titles and periods where they were considered a legit power and have the money to put towards their programs and have some mojo as well, or at least Wisconsin does, not sure about MSU? Notre Dame has had limited success in the past but like UW and MSU has the money to put towards their program. Will they? Not sure?

Now looking at the top of the 2 conferences, I think Minnesota, Michigan & PSU have the money and facilities and mojo and desire to win to the point that the 3 of them combined can match up with the top 4 of the NCHC, because as good as UND & Denver have been throughout history and UMD has been recently, all 3 of them, as well as SCSU are all smaller schools without big time football or men's bb to help their athletic depts in general. Not saying that is a requirement, but it sure helps and not having such can hurt.

Also, I think what UND had in the old WCHA wasn't replaced with what it gets in the NCHC. Series' with small schools such as Denver, CC, SCSU & UMD continued, which helped the new NCHC to start out well as the majority of the conference was made up of schools with heated rivalries, but instead of UND traveling to play Minnesota and Wisconsin in their big arenas and on their big TV networks, those series' were replaced with more small schools like WMU & Miami of Ohio which long term take some of the shine off of UND and DU, CC, SCSU & UMD who all benefited from that dynamic as well.

Meanwhile Minnesota and Wisconsin and Mich, MSU & OSU left behind the small schools to join up with each other and big school PSU and later semi-big school Notre Dame. This new combination of schools wasn't going to start out with a bang, it would take time for the rivalries to heat up and now they are heating up. And with the heat has come more fans showing up to games and watching on TV. TV mind you on the B1G conferences own network if not on other networks. And networks like ESPN or Fox, etc., are going to prefer to have games vs big schools with large potential fan bases like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, PSU & OSU on their networks. A casual hockey fan who tends to only or mostly watch the NHL might watch an NCAA tourney game between big schools like Minnesota vs Michigan or either of those vs a Boston College where as a game of schools like Mankato vs Omaha or St Cloud St vs Quinipiac isn't going to draw as many non-college hockey fans.

Now the difference may not be significant enough for networks and many or all of them may not even give a sh1t about college hockey? But if they ever do, it won't be because of anything the NCHC does or contributes to the sport, but it easily could be very much because of something the B1G did or contributed to the sport. Maybe helping to bring it into bigger markets. Many believe and have said that Arizona St started up only after they saw PSU make it work for them. The NHL stated it was open to helping a school like Illinois in getting started. If a West Coast Conference or the Southeastern Conference ever start up or move up to Div 1 play, it won't be so that their teams can play the likes of St Cloud St or Omaha or WMU or UMD, it will be so that they can play the likes of Minnesota, Michigan, OSU, PSU & Wisconsin in big arenas.
                At the end of the day, it's going to come down to how invested OSU, ND and MSU want to be in hockey. I'm pretty confident about MSU and ND, but OSU has a long history of neglect. If everyone is willing to demand excellence in their hockey program and invest part of that billion dollar media deal into achieving it, there's no reason that the B1G can't consistently put 4-5 (not every year but regularly) into the tournament. Do that, and the titles will inevitably follow. MSU is clearly on the upswing and was a Colgate ECAC win away from being the 5th team this year. Wisconsin seems serious about digging themselves out of the hole and have the history and resources to do it.

To me that puts Ohio State on the clock. Are they going to do what's necessary to keep Rohlik, and are they going to do something about getting a proper arena? History says no, and if they don't keep up with the rest of the conference, the last five years of promise could definitely turn into their becoming the B1G's Miami of Ohio.....and you never go full Miami of Ohio.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post

At the end of the day, it's going to come down to how invested OSU, ND and MSU want to be in hockey. I'm pretty confident about MSU and ND, but OSU has a long history of neglect. If everyone is willing to demand excellence in their hockey program and invest part of that billion dollar media deal into achieving it, there's no reason that the B1G can't consistently put 4-5 (not every year but regularly) into the tournament. Do that, and the titles will inevitably follow. MSU is clearly on the upswing and was a Colgate ECAC win away from being the 5th team this year. Wisconsin seems serious about digging themselves out of the hole and have the history and resources to do it.

To me that puts Ohio State on the clock. Are they going to do what's necessary to keep Rohlik, and are they going to do something about getting a proper arena? History says no, and if they don't keep up with the rest of the conference, the last five years of promise could definitely turn into their becoming the B1G's Miami of Ohio.....and you never go full Miami of Ohio.
                  Love this - and you never go full Miami of Ohio

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                    For whatever reason, many western teams simply won't come to Hamden. Our coach talks about all the offers to go west without any reciprocation. He feels that Q has earned that much, and many agree. I can count on one hand the Western teams that have been in Hamden: NoDak, SCSU, OSU, UNO, BGSU.

I'll be the 1st to admit our schedule this season was weak. Not much we could do with the ECAC still recovering from 8 teams missing a whole season. But you have to play the games on your schedule. We did that.
                    ASU has been to Hamden 4 times and Q has been to Arizona 4 times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

ASU has been to Hamden 4 times and Q has been to Arizona 4 times.
                      Yes, sorry, I forgot about them.

We also met in a regional.
                      Quinnipiac Bobcats
                      2023 National Champions
                      Northeast Regional:

Comment

Whoa boy, that lengthy attempt made mookie’s taint hurt.

you already recapped pedd st ooc in its entirety (all cupcakes)

MY RESPONSE -

"all cupcakes"?

Alaska was ranked #14 in the PWR, higher than any ooc opponent Q played. And RIT was ranked #22. That's 40% of PSU's ooc schedule.

And when you know you are going to have a conference schedule dominated by Top 20 ranked opponents, it's smart not to play too tough of a schedule. I remember Don Lucia's first season, they played one of the toughest schedules humanly possible and beat a bunch of ranked teams, but lost to a lot of highly ranked teams and so a team worthy of playing the NCAA tourney didn't qualify because of playing such a brutal schedule. I knew that they showed a ton of promise and lo and behold they made the tourney the next year and won back to back titles the next 2 years.

END OF RESPONSE.

so mookie is spared here.

MY RESPONSE

PSU beat #33 Wisconsin 3 times, #7 OSU THREE times, #17 Notre Dame twice, #1 Minnesota and #3 Michigan once each and they swept #14 Alaska in 2 games and swept #22 RIT in a 2 game series as well. So 4 of their ooc wins weren't easy, and the big boys in conference didn't kick the turds outta them, either. They just barely missed out on getting into the Frozen Four.

END OF RESPONSE.

Is Sacred Heart, LIU, Holy Cross and Maine the "solid" ooc schedule Q played? Been a long time since Maine's been "solid".

My opinion? You don't have a clue who PSU or Q or Michigan or BU or the Gophers played in the ooc, you just say what you want to be true and hope no one calls you out.

Comment

What's really turned them so silent is that they fear, or know, that this is a trend that will probably continue going forward. It probably won't be an every season thing, but it's very unlikely to regress back to how it was like the first few years when the B1G only got 1 team to the Frozen Four in those first 3 years and only 2 compared to the NCHC's 7 in the first 4 years. The NCHC started out with several advantages that helped it start out more successful, but were or are not the type of advantages that will help them sustain the success they had from 2014-2021 far into the future, at least not in my opinion.

On the other hand, the B1G started out with some disadvantages that just needed some time to overcome, and the advantages the B1G has, also needed time to kick in. Have those disadvantages all been overcome? Have all of those advantages fully kicked in? Is the recent trend(4 Frozen Four teams for the B1G compared to just 1 for the NCHC) going to continue and be an annual thing? I don't know for sure. I'm sure the NCHC will bounce back to some degree. If not as a whole, a couple teams or at least one team should have some good seasons going forward.

Comparing the 2 conferences future potential, I'd say the B1G's potential going forward is far better than the NCHC's.

Miami of Ohio? Omaha? WMU? CC? None of these schools have ever had more than a few really good seasons. All are small schools with no big time football or men's bb to help fund anything they want to do with their hockey program or their athletics dept in general. None of them have tons of money or a lot of alums with money to make things happen. What do these schools offer outside of playing in the NCHC? I'm not saying it's impossible that they could develop into legit powers, I mean UMD figured out how to do it, but I think UMD had an advantage that they don't have, that being located in the state of hockey and being close to Canada and also having a successful women's program as well as a successful football program that helped give the fans a taste of what it's like to have a championship team, but I am just saying it's unlikely.

Compare those 4 to the bottom of the B1G, OSU, Notre Dame & depending on when you are talking about, Michigan St and/or Wisconsin, both Wisconsin and Mich St have several Natl Titles and periods where they were considered a legit power and have the money to put towards their programs and have some mojo as well, or at least Wisconsin does, not sure about MSU? Notre Dame has had limited success in the past but like UW and MSU has the money to put towards their program. Will they? Not sure?

Now looking at the top of the 2 conferences, I think Minnesota, Michigan & PSU have the money and facilities and mojo and desire to win to the point that the 3 of them combined can match up with the top 4 of the NCHC, because as good as UND & Denver have been throughout history and UMD has been recently, all 3 of them, as well as SCSU are all smaller schools without big time football or men's bb to help their athletic depts in general. Not saying that is a requirement, but it sure helps and not having such can hurt.

Also, I think what UND had in the old WCHA wasn't replaced with what it gets in the NCHC. Series' with small schools such as Denver, CC, SCSU & UMD continued, which helped the new NCHC to start out well as the majority of the conference was made up of schools with heated rivalries, but instead of UND traveling to play Minnesota and Wisconsin in their big arenas and on their big TV networks, those series' were replaced with more small schools like WMU & Miami of Ohio which long term take some of the shine off of UND and DU, CC, SCSU & UMD who all benefited from that dynamic as well.

Meanwhile Minnesota and Wisconsin and Mich, MSU & OSU left behind the small schools to join up with each other and big school PSU and later semi-big school Notre Dame. This new combination of schools wasn't going to start out with a bang, it would take time for the rivalries to heat up and now they are heating up. And with the heat has come more fans showing up to games and watching on TV. TV mind you on the B1G conferences own network if not on other networks. And networks like ESPN or Fox, etc., are going to prefer to have games vs big schools with large potential fan bases like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, PSU & OSU on their networks. A casual hockey fan who tends to only or mostly watch the NHL might watch an NCAA tourney game between big schools like Minnesota vs Michigan or either of those vs a Boston College where as a game of schools like Mankato vs Omaha or St Cloud St vs Quinipiac isn't going to draw as many non-college hockey fans.

Now the difference may not be significant enough for networks and many or all of them may not even give a sh1t about college hockey? But if they ever do, it won't be because of anything the NCHC does or contributes to the sport, but it easily could be very much because of something the B1G did or contributed to the sport. Maybe helping to bring it into bigger markets. Many believe and have said that Arizona St started up only after they saw PSU make it work for them. The NHL stated it was open to helping a school like Illinois in getting started. If a West Coast Conference or the Southeastern Conference ever start up or move up to Div 1 play, it won't be so that their teams can play the likes of St Cloud St or Omaha or WMU or UMD, it will be so that they can play the likes of Minnesota, Michigan, OSU, PSU & Wisconsin in big arenas.
                          This! All of this! ^
                          National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
                          National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post

I agree. Thing is, with a 7 team conference, having all 7 be really good in the same year will actually hurt the conference's chances of getting teams into the tourney, beating up on each other, or when they get in, it may hurt their seeding. This year is a good example of that. Both MSU and Notre Dame, had they played in any of the other conferences, would have gotten into the tourney, imo, but getting beaten up by Minnesota and Michigan and OSU & PSU and even Wisconsin hurt them this year. And OSU & PSU's seedings probably suffered for the same reason. I mean, it is what it is. Both probably wouldn't have gotten into the Frozen Four if they had been seeded better, but we just don't know that.

I guess my point is, this year at least they all had Wisconsin to beat up on, sort of, but Wisconsin got one win against every other B1G team, not one team swept the Badgers. And I'm guessing Wisconsin is going to rise back up into the ranks of regular NCAA tourney teams, so if OSU half asses it and ends up being the whipping boy in the conference, I'm fine with that seeing as there isn't room for all 7 teams to be NCAA tourney quality and if they were, I mean I guess it's theoretically possible if all 7 B1G teams won a vast majority of their ooc games and against good teams, then all 7 could get in, but I don't think any college hockey fans want to see all 7 B1G teams getting into the tourney, including most B1G fans. 4-5 is plenty until they expand the size of the tournament field and hopefully the size of the conference becomes expanded as well. It honestly wouldn't bother me if Notre Dame continued to sort of suck as long as Wisconsin improved. 4-5 really good teams each year and 2-3 rebuilding or just sucking.

Comment

• Can't tell you how excited I am to see Penn State's non conference schedule next year. Maybe BTN can do a schedule reveal for all the teams. Ratings bonanza.

Comment

Is Sacred Heart, LIU, Holy Cross and Maine the "solid" ooc schedule Q played? Been a long time since Maine's been "solid".

My opinion? You don't have a clue who PSU or Q or Michigan or BU or the Gophers played in the ooc, you just say what you want to be true and hope no one calls you out.
                                Whoa, my awful Maine team split with the Q this year.

A monumental achievement,no matter how you care to slice it.

Comment

Working...
                                X