Latest pairwise rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post

No kidding. I doubt the committee will send us to Fargo given our pairwise and the need to minimize travel and maximize attendance. Cue those who want to bash Harvard's ability to travel.
    Based on their pairwise position, Fargo seems like the most logical destination for Harvard. Can't have 1 and 8 together because Penn State has to be in Allentown, so putting 1 and 7 together is the next best thing.
    National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
    National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post

Based on their pairwise position, Fargo seems like the most logical destination for Harvard. Can't have 1 and 8 together because Penn State has to be in Allentown, so putting 1 and 7 together is the next best thing.
      I think they are just going to switch St. Cloud and Penn State and not mess with Harvard

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post

No kidding. I doubt the committee will send us to Fargo given our pairwise and the need to minimize travel and maximize attendance. Cue those who want to bash Harvard's ability to travel.
        But there's a very legitimate case for Harvard to go to Fargo because of the math. It might not happen but Harvard let this become an option by losing last night.

Who says they need to minimize travel/maximize attendance? It hasn't seemed to come into play a whole lot recently. I would be on board with a clear direction from the committee.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

I think you have high expectations of Harvard "fans".
          You always have to use the plural of "fan", even if it is only slightly more than 1.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

• Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
            You always have to use the plural of "fan", even if it is only slightly more than 1.
            The 3 of them would likely agree... :-)
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
            Northeast Regional:
            West Regional: 2015, 2021
            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• As anticipated...

Fargo
              1. Minnesota vs. 16. Canisius
              6. St. Cloud State vs. 11. Minnesota State

Bridgeport
              2. Quinnipiac vs. 14. Merrimack
              7. Harvard vs. 9. Ohio State

Allentown
              3. Michigan vs. 15. Colgate
              8. Penn State vs. 10. Michigan Tech

Manchester
              4. Denver vs. 13. Cornell
              5. Boston University vs. 12. Western Michigan
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Putting St. Cloud with Minnesota is not my definition of bracket integrity but ultimately I am fine if there's a consistent emphasis to try and improve the atmosphere at these things. For once there doesn't appear to be a dumpster fire regional attendance/atmosphere wise.

Comment

• I also see they did away with the 6 hr gap in starting times at each site after only one year.

Comment

• We will find out the toughest next weekend.
                    Gophers: The time is NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

"Top three finish in the WCHA! Get into the NCAAs, take a swing and see what happens." Don Lucia

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      But when you consider that I can sit and have a burger at Charlie’s on the Harvard campus and then be in Manchester in an hour or Bridgeport in less than 2 1/2, Harvard would likely draw far greater crowds in either venue than St Cloud would. Manchester is also accessible from Harvard by public transportation.
                      I don't really care what the committee does placing teams, but I dislike how inconsistent it is from one year to the next. Frankly, I was laughing when the board chair from Vermont said how pleased they were with a balanced bracket. I guess if the goal was balanced geography, yes they did great. Enjoy the burger, I have a feeling it will be your last while watching Harvard play hockey this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by StateofHockey78 View Post

I don't really care what the committee does placing teams, but I dislike how inconsistent it is from one year to the next. Frankly, I was laughing when the board chair from Vermont said how pleased they were with a balanced bracket. I guess if the goal was balanced geography, yes they did great. Enjoy the burger, I have a feeling it will be your last while watching Harvard play hockey this year.

The inconsistency is because they have so many "priorities" that they can manipulate the results almost any way they want them. You can spout "bracket integrity" to defend one decision, and then turn around and say "atmosphere" or "airline flights" for another. And all the while, you let teams host who aren't #1 seeds so you work around the brackets to justify that. Give basketball credit - They are going with a serpentine bracket every year (Now, how they determine those seeds is a little shady, but that's another story.), and they generally don't give a de facto home game to a low seed (Drake, for instance, had to go out east as a #12 seed this year, even though Des Moines was a regional site.).

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Putting St. Cloud with Minnesota is not my definition of bracket integrity but ultimately I am fine if there's a consistent emphasis to try and improve the atmosphere at these things. For once there doesn't appear to be a dumpster fire regional attendance/atmosphere wise.
                          I don't know that there was a need to improve the atmosphere at Fargo after the Gophers were placed there. Fargo only seats about 6000. It was going to be full or near-full even without adding St. Cloud and Kato.

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post

The inconsistency is because they have so many "priorities" that they can manipulate the results almost any way they want them. You can spout "bracket integrity" to defend one decision, and then turn around and say "atmosphere" or "airline flights" for another. And all the while, you let teams host who aren't #1 seeds so you work around the brackets to justify that. Give basketball credit - They are going with a serpentine bracket every year (Now, how they determine those seeds is a little shady, but that's another story.), and they generally don't give a de facto home game to a low seed (Drake, for instance, had to go out east as a #12 seed this year, even though Des Moines was a regional site.).
                            100%.

Comment

I don't know that there was a need to improve the atmosphere at Fargo after the Gophers were placed there. Fargo only seats about 6000. It was going to be full or near-full even without adding St. Cloud and Kato.
                              Think of the revenue they are giving up this weekend. Having this regional at Xcel would draw 19,000. Can they "buy out" Fargo? haha

Comment

This was my thought as well. Which is why I would have placed Harvard in Fargo instead of St. Cloud. If atmosphere was a concern I could even get on board with Harvard-Minnesota State. To me, bracket integrity should be kept as best as possible but working your way from #1 overall on down and taking into account the QF round.

Minnesota (1)
                                Harvard(7)
                                Minnesota State (11)
                                Canisius

Quinnipiac (2)
                                St. Cloud State (6)
                                Ohio State (9)
                                Merrimack

I could have lived with this if you wanted to get another Minnesota team to Fargo.

Comment

Working...
                                X