Latest pairwise rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by StateofHockey78 View Post

What the heck happened to Western? Seems like after Denver came in and popped their balloon they've fallen flat.
    The powerplay lost one of its big players in Jamie Rome. They haven't figured out how to replace him to get back to where they were earlier in the season. The other thing is give CC's Mbereko some credit. He is a good goalie, and the Tigers are a very defense first, second, third, fourth, and fifth kind of team. Let in a soft goal or two and CC has a chance.
    Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• CHN has now changed their Pairwise Probability Matrix, and it reflects the possibility of both Minn and Quinn getting the overall #1. I still find it quite informative.

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
        CHN has now changed their Pairwise Probability Matrix, and it reflects the possibility of both Minn and Quinn getting the overall #1. I still find it quite informative.
        That is pretty cool. I had been trying to figure out if there was any way for Michigan State to make it, but while that probability matrix shows an extremely slim chance of them finishing as high as 15, I'm guessing that is with some upsets that see more than just AHA using an autobid spot. I'm left wondering if a 3rd place game in any of the conferences could change the pairwise finishes enough to put a team in that is left sitting out today.
        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
        7 B1G
        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
        2 Alaskan

Comment

• I just wanted to point out that 4 coaches who lost in OT challenged the GWG on plays where there was very clearly nothing to look at. 3 offsides and one goalie interference challenge. Come on guys. Be better.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            I just wanted to point out that 4 coaches who lost in OT challenged the GWG on plays where there was very clearly nothing to look at. 3 offsides and one goalie interference challenge. Come on guys. Be better.
            I mean, first and foremost you're not wrong. But to be fair though, at that point there's really nothing to lose and everything to gain.
            National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
            National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post

I mean, first and foremost you're not wrong. But to be fair though, at that point there's really nothing to lose and everything to gain.
              I get that but when there's so clearly nothing wrong with any of the plays it's just a bad look IMO. Takes away from the moment of an OT winner too. I'm also tired of coaches challenging any hit that has the chance of having the slightest head contact because they don't care if they lose their timeout. I'd like to see the challenge system cleaned up a little. But now back to PWR discussion...

Comment

• How about Colgate winning the ECAC probabilities, along with Colorado College
                ?
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

• Both CC and Colgate winning tonight is certainly possible based on how they each played on Friday. Colgate matches up well against Harvard given the regular season split that could easily have been a sweep for the Raiders.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

I get that but when there's so clearly nothing wrong with any of the plays it's just a bad look IMO. Takes away from the moment of an OT winner too. I'm also tired of coaches challenging any hit that has the chance of having the slightest head contact because they don't care if they lose their timeout. I'd like to see the challenge system cleaned up a little. But now back to PWR discussion...
                    Looking at that Merrimack winning goal the announcers had no idea what the challenge was about. It clearly was not goaltender interference as they were claiming as the challenge. Also it clearly was not offside. What it was: a high stick challenge. The Merrimack player knocked the puck out of the air and proceeded to make the pass for the goal. It was not a high stick but was close enough to take another look.

Comment

• 6 teams facing win or go home games tonight (Holy Cross, Canisius, Northern Michigan, Minnesota State, Colgate, and Colorado College), including both teams in the Atlantic Hockey and CCHA Championships. Remarkably, despite that, Alaska still has a better than 50/50 shot at making the tournament as an at-large. Should be a fun night of college hockey!

As for the NCAA Tournament, it would appear that Fargo is likely set:
                      1. Minnesota vs. 4. Holy Cross/Canisius Winner
                      2. St. Cloud State vs. 3. Ohio State

The rest of the bracket could get a bit messy depending on how the seeding all shakes out. Obviously, Penn State is in Allentown. Quinnipiac likely gets placed in Bridgeport. Denver won't make a difference (attendance wise - and a flight regardless), so they can go anywhere. If Michigan gets the last #1, does it make more sense to put them in Manchester? I'd prefer that to keep fewer potential intra-conference regional final possibilities (and no need to stack all 4 B1G teams into two regionals). I would think they would like to place BU and/or Harvard in Manchester (and if not possible, then one or the other to Bridgeport). Either Michigan Tech or Western Michigan are decent options to slot against Penn State in Allentown if either wind up as the #10 overall seed.

Of course, they could also just go pure serpentine...
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• In case you're wondering, Colorado College could become the 7th team to be seeded #7 or lower in their conference tournament and win the title. The previous six:

ECAC 1980 #8 Cornell
                        ECAC 1981 #7 Providence
                        ECAC 1998 #7 Princeton
                        CCHA 2010 #7 Michigan
                        AHA 2013 #7 Canisius
                        ECAC 2018 #7 Princeton

Comment

• For qualification purposes, not seeding:
                          Everyone down to and including Michigan Tech and Western Michigan is in.

Canisius v Holy Cross: Winner in, loser goes home
                          Minnesota State v Northern Michigan: Winner in, loser goes home
                          Colgate must win to qualify
                          Colorado College must win to qualify

If either Colgate or CC win, Alaska is out
                          If both win, then either Merrimack or Cornell is out, and which one is out depends on the Merrimack/BU game. In this case, Merrimack would need to win to be in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            6 teams facing win or go home games tonight (Holy Cross, Canisius, Northern Michigan, Minnesota State, Colgate, and Colorado College), including both teams in the Atlantic Hockey and CCHA Championships. Remarkably, despite that, Alaska still has a better than 50/50 shot at making the tournament as an at-large. Should be a fun night of college hockey!

As for the NCAA Tournament, it would appear that Fargo is likely set:
                            1. Minnesota vs. 4. Holy Cross/Canisius Winner
                            2. St. Cloud State vs. 3. Ohio State

The rest of the bracket could get a bit messy depending on how the seeding all shakes out. Obviously, Penn State is in Allentown. Quinnipiac likely gets placed in Bridgeport. Denver won't make a difference (attendance wise - and a flight regardless), so they can go anywhere. If Michigan gets the last #1, does it make more sense to put them in Manchester? I'd prefer that to keep fewer potential intra-conference regional final possibilities (and no need to stack all 4 B1G teams into two regionals). I would think they would like to place BU and/or Harvard in Manchester (and if not possible, then one or the other to Bridgeport). Either Michigan Tech or Western Michigan are decent options to slot against Penn State in Allentown if either wind up as the #10 overall seed.

Of course, they could also just go pure serpentine...
                            With Penn State coming in at #8 in the PWR, I don't think the committee has any choice but to send Denver (I mean the overall #3 seed) there. Minnesota obviously goes to Fargo. Quinnipiac goes the Bridgeport. There is a new rule which prohibits the committee from moving any team more than two spots within its seeding band. That means that they can't take PSU, at #8, and treat them like the #5. The most they can do is treat them like a #6. So, the 3rd seed has to go to Allentown.

That means that the #4 and #5 overall go to Manchester. That means either Mich or Den, and either BU or Harvard.

So, for the top half of the bracket:
                            Fargo: Minnesota, St Cloud St
                            Bridgeport: Quinnipiac, #6 overall (Harvard or BU)
                            Allentown: #3 overall (DU, Michigan), Penn State
                            Manchester: #4, 5 overall: (Michigan, DU), (Harvard, BU)

As for the rest, as FS23 said, Ohio State goes to Fargo, and after that we don't know anything, chiefly because, for example, Minnesota State is either a #3 seed, or out of the tournament. Merrimack is either a 3, or a 4, or out. Perhaps as good as we can say is that Cornell and Merrimack, if they qualify, will stay in either Bridgeport or Manchester (although Ithaca, NY is within bussing distance from Allentown, too). And, likewise Colgate, should they defeat Harvard. The winner of Holy Cross/Canisius gets a flight to Fargo.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                              In case you're wondering, Colorado College could become the 7th team to be seeded #7 or lower in their conference tournament and win the title. The previous six:

ECAC 1980 #8 Cornell
                              ECAC 1981 #7 Providence
                              ECAC 1998 #7 Princeton
                              CCHA 2010 #7 Michigan
                              AHA 2013 #7 Canisius
                              ECAC 2018 #7 Princeton
                              Holy Cross is also a 7 seed so with their game being first tonight it would mean CC could become the 8th team. Minnesota fans will love to be reminded of playing Holy Cross in North Dakota.

Comment

• Originally posted by BC/HE View Post

Holy Cross is also a 7 seed so with their game being first tonight it would mean CC could become the 8th team. Minnesota fans will love to be reminded of playing Holy Cross in North Dakota.
                                Duly noted and well pointed out. This could be the first year with two #7 winners. There have been three other years which were poised but didn't come through.

2013 AHA #7 Canisius WON, ECAC #7 Brown lost, WCHA #8 Colorado College lost

2014 NCHC #8 Miami lost, AHA #7 Canisius lost
                                2018 ECAC #7 Princeton WON, AHA #7 Robert Morris lost
                                Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 03-18-2023, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X