Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
    Current Pairwise...

The Big Ten has Minnesota at #1, Michigan #4, Penn State #8, Ohio State #9, Notre Dame #14, Michigan State #19, and Wisconsin #32. The average Pairwise position of those seven teams is 12.4.

The NCHC has Denver at #3, St. Cloud State #5, Western Michigan #10, Nebraska-Omaha #16, North Dakota #21, Minnesota-Duluth #26, Colorado College #38, and Miami-Ohio #43. The average Pairwise position of those eight teams is 20.25.

Anybody out there STILL stubborn enough to insist the NCHC is better than the Big Ten?
    Wut

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

The non-hockey Miami fans still think they have the best everything. They aren't afraid to tell anyone they should be considered an Ivy school.
      Same reasons that I hate Holy Cross. They used to run their mouths about their record in football against the Ivies. Then they changed leagues or something and lost all their scholarships (Ivies, as you know, don't give any). You can easily guess what happened to their competitiveness in football against the Ivies. A good school scholastically, but just not on par with the big boys and girls.
      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post

Same reasons that I hate Holy Cross. They used to run their mouths about their record in football against the Ivies. Then they changed leagues or something and lost all their scholarships (Ivies, as you know, don't give any). You can easily guess what happened to their competitiveness in football against the Ivies. A good school scholastically, but just not on par with the big boys and girls.
        Well that might be changing. Excellent football program now. At least until current coach leaves.

Comment

• Fargo:

1. Minnesota (1)
          2. Ohio State (8)
          3. Western Michigan (10)
          4. RIT (16)

Allentown:

1. Denver (3)
          2. St. Cloud State (7)
          3. Penn State (9)
          4. Cornell (14)

Bridgeport:

1. Quinnipiac (2)
          2. Harvard (6)
          3. Michigan Tech (11)
          4. Minnesota State (15)

Manchester:

1. Michigan (4)
          2. BU (5)
          3. Notre Dame (12)
          4. Alaska (13)

I suppose there is an option here to put SCSU in Fargo but I think that would land #6 Harvard in Allentown to play #9 Penn State.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Fargo:

1. Minnesota (1)
            2. Ohio State (8)
            3. Western Michigan (10)
            4. RIT (16)

Allentown:

1. Denver (3)
            2. St. Cloud State (7)
            3. Penn State (9)
            4. Cornell (14)

Bridgeport:

1. Quinnipiac (2)
            2. Harvard (6)
            3. Michigan Tech (11)
            4. Minnesota State (15)

Manchester:

1. Michigan (4)
            2. BU (5)
            3. Notre Dame (12)
            4. Alaska (13)

I suppose there is an option here to put SCSU in Fargo but I think that would land #6 Harvard in Allentown to play #9 Penn State.
            I think this is the best bracket available with the present PWR.

Perhaps the larger question is: What will happen to Alaska's bid? It looks like Notre Dame will qualify (if they win tonight they will be in a strong position). Where will be the cut line?
            My guess is that CCHA will be won by MTU or MSUM, so no extra bid there (2 bids). B10 will be won by someone qualifying otheriwse (5 bids). NCHC looks to be a 3 bid league, because it's hard to imagine Omaha, UMD or UND running the table (Omaha might sneak in however). AHA is a one big league. ECAC is a 2 bid league with Cornell a huge question. HEA is at most a 2 bid league. That makes, in total, 15. It seems there is room here for Alaska, as long as they win tomorrow night. (Note: This is assuming Omaha does not qualify. It is, however assuming someone besides BU wins HEA. And, it assumes that Alaska finishes ahead of Cornell in the PWR.)

Comment

Fargo:

1. Minnesota (1)
              2. Ohio State (8)
              3. Western Michigan (10)
              4. RIT (16)

Allentown:

1. Denver (3)
              2. St. Cloud State (7)
              3. Penn State (9)
              4. Cornell (14)

Bridgeport:

1. Quinnipiac (2)
              2. Harvard (6)
              3. Michigan Tech (11)
              4. Minnesota State (15)

Manchester:

1. Michigan (4)
              2. BU (5)
              3. Notre Dame (12)
              4. Alaska (13)

Shouldn't Harvard and St. Cloud be flipped? Or is this an attendance thing?
              You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

• Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post

Shouldn't Harvard and St. Cloud be flipped? Or is this an attendance thing?
                My guess is that plus better bracket integrity - 2/15, 6/11 and 3/14, 7/9 only creates one unnatural s-curve matchup. Flipping HU and SCSU creates two and knocks an eastern team out of Bridgeport.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

My guess is that plus better bracket integrity - 2/15, 6/11 and 3/14, 7/9 only creates one unnatural s-curve matchup. Flipping HU and SCSU creates two and knocks an eastern team out of Bridgeport.
                  Plus you're technically punishing the higher ranked #2 seed in Harvard. Playing #9 Penn State in Allentown can be avoided so that's also how i came up with that.

Comment

• I am sure there is a math expert who will prove be wrong but it doesn't seem like the single game QF round in Hockey East is beneficial to their bubble teams this year. Merrimack, NU and UConn could benefit from a chance to sweep a series it would seem as winning multiple games is their only hope outside of winning he HE tournament. Sure in some cases not losing a 2nd game in a series maybe keeps you in the NCAA field but that doesn't look to be the case here.

Comment

• Fargo:

1. Minnesota (1)
                      2. St. Cloud State (8)
                      3. Michigan Tech (10)
                      4. RIT (16)

Allentown:

1. Denver (3)
                      2. Penn State (7)
                      3. Western Michigan (9)
                      4. Cornell (14)

Bridgeport:

1. Quinnipiac (2)
                      2. Harvard (6)
                      3. Ohio State (11)
                      4. Merrimack (15)

Manchester:

1. Michigan (4)
                      2. BU (5)
                      3. Alaska (12)
                      4. Minnesota State (13)

Comment

• On the flip side, a team like Notre Dame probably would have preferred the one game QF. Beat MSU and then lost to Minnesota and they're probably in. The NCAA had to screw up the Beanpot with standardized OT bull crap I am surprised they don't call for a uniform playoff format across conferences. Not as simple due to # of teams varying but surely the NCAA must get involved!

Comment

Fargo:

1. Minnesota (1)
                          2. St. Cloud State (8)
                          3. Michigan Tech (10)
                          4. RIT (16)

Allentown:

1. Denver (3)
                          2. Penn State (7)
                          3. Western Michigan (9)
                          4. Cornell (14)

Bridgeport:

1. Quinnipiac (2)
                          2. Harvard (6)
                          3. Ohio State (11)
                          4. Merrimack (15)

Manchester:

1. Michigan (4)
                          2. BU (5)
                          3. Alaska (12)
                          4. Minnesota State (13)
                          There's times that I just don't get the frickin' pairwise. Ohio State beats Penn State convincingly on Friday, and each team moves one spot. They lose in overtime on Saturday, and Ohio State drops 3 while PSU rises 2. I know that home ice matters, but I think it matters way too much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post

There's times that I just don't get the frickin' pairwise. Ohio State beats Penn State convincingly on Friday, and each team moves one spot. They lose in overtime on Saturday, and Ohio State drops 3 while PSU rises 2. I know that home ice matters, but I think it matters way too much.
                            I'm not sure, but I think that the 5v5 playoff overtime counts 100/0, not 66/33 like in the regular season. That's part of it, I am sure.

Comment

I am sure there is a math expert who will prove be wrong but it doesn't seem like the single game QF round in Hockey East is beneficial to their bubble teams this year. Merrimack, NU and UConn could benefit from a chance to sweep a series it would seem as winning multiple games is their only hope outside of winning he HE tournament. Sure in some cases not losing a 2nd game in a series maybe keeps you in the NCAA field but that doesn't look to be the case here.
                              This year you are right. But in another year, in another situation, it would completely the opposite. I'm not sure, but I would guess that the single elimination Hockey East playoff from this year is for the purpose of only needing 2 weeks for the playoffs. Sure, you could do a Tuesday night single game for the lower teams, and then 2/3 on the weekend, but that crams the calendar pretty hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post

This year you are right. But in another year, in another situation, it would completely the opposite. I'm not sure, but I would guess that the single elimination Hockey East playoff from this year is for the purpose of only needing 2 weeks for the playoffs. Sure, you could do a Tuesday night single game for the lower teams, and then 2/3 on the weekend, but that crams the calendar pretty hard.
                                Or find a way to end regular season a week earlier. That could probably be done via more midweek games during the season. Easy enough for a bus league to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X