Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men’s Hockey 22-23: the start of something new, or more of the same?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
    My guess is that any savings could potentially be earmarked to fund more opportunities for participation in non-revenue sports. "Participation" seems to be the mantra in the NCAA transition report that recently was released. Hence, the possible expansion of the NCAA hockey tourney to 30 teams.
    I wonder if the new ESPN deal impacts how schools prioritize in person attendance. Perhaps trending towards the NFL model where TV revenue is more than gate revenue.

I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post

Personally I think that is male cow excrement. Sounds like yet another urban myth generated on the concourse at the Whitt.

And if that is the case, how does that explain the rest of the teams in the league dumbing down their schedules?

It feels to me like we are headed for the inevitable interlocking schedule between Hockey East and Atlantic Hockey.
      I do not agree with the HEA-AH interlock based on this season’s schedules. Only two HEA teams played more than two AH OOC games, Maine with four and UNH with three, with all others at two except for UML with one and UConn with zero (0). So, that is a total of 22 OOC games with AH teams for an average of two per HEA team.

As far as HEA OOC games with midwestern teams, with the added travel expense, all except Mac and NU either traveled or hosted at least two OOC games (Mac no games and NU hosted W Mich for one game). BC hosted one (NICC) and traveled for two (Az State), BU hosted two (NICC and Mich Tech) and traveled for two (Mich), UConn hosted three (two with Ohio State and one with Anchorage), Maine traveled for two (DU) and hosted two (Anchorage), UML hosted six (two each with Miami, Mich St, Anchorage), UMass hosted three (two with DU, one with Lake State), UNH hosted two (Az State), PC traveled for two (DU), and UVM hosted two (Lindenwood). DU, Ohio St, Mich, Mich Tech, and Mich State would be in the NCAAs today, and NICC would be on the bubble, so perhaps I was a bit hyperbolic in my view that the other highly ranked midwestern teams do not want to play weaker OOC opponents. But there are a lot weak midwestern teams in the OOC group this season, too. Usually reciprocity arrangements have teams flip between hosting and traveling for OOC games year to year.
      Last edited by Snively65; 01-24-2023, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• Hello again everyone, this is Ramona, Mr. G's caregiver.

First off, I was happy that Mr. G left all of his logins and passwords to me for safekeeping, in case he should lose his mental faculties. I honestly cannot understand why he chose to identify himself as "GrouchyUNHer"! Please understand that this gentleman is a joy to be around, always positive and update, and yes, a bit flirtatious with me and the other members of our staff!

There is not much information at this time. His condition continues to be very critical at this time, but stable. He opened his eyes very slightly today, saw me standing there and I believe that he was trying to say "Charlie.....Charlie......" but then he drifted back off to sleep.

Your prayers and positive thoughts have helped tremendously, please keep them coming! And as a reminder, Happy Oaks has a very strict "NO VISITORS" policy in effect, and rooms, hallways, and common areas are constantly swept of uncredentialed individuals, recording devices, and unattended packages. Please honor our residents right to privacy! I will continue to keep you posted on Mr. G's progress.

With Kind Regards,

Ramona
        I'm old, I'm grouchy, GIT OVER IT!!
        AND GIT OFF MY T-HALL LAWN!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          As far as HEA OOC games with midwestern teams, BU hosted two (NICC and Mich Tech) and traveled for two (Mich)
          BU only only hosted one western team, Notre Dame, while they traveled for four, 2 at Michigan and 2 at the Desert Hockey Classic (Air Force and MTU).

Next season BU will be hosting UND for 2 games.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            BU only only hosted one western team, Notre Dame, while they traveled for four, 2 at Michigan and 2 at the Desert Hockey Classic (Air Force and MTU).

Next season BU will be hosting UND for 2 games.

Sean
            Thanks, Sean. NICC = Notre Dame (inside joke), and Air Force was separated out as an OOC game with an Atlantic Hockey team. I goofed up on the hosting vs traveling for the Mich Tech game, but the point of my post is that the better HEA teams are still playing OOC games against the stronger midwestern teams and most HEA teams are not padding their OOC schedules with games against Atlantic Hockey teams.
            Last edited by Snively65; 01-25-2023, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrouchyUNHer View Post
              Hello again everyone, this is Ramona, Mr. G's caregiver.

First off, I was happy that Mr. G left all of his logins and passwords to me for safekeeping, in case he should lose his mental faculties. I honestly cannot understand why he chose to identify himself as "GrouchyUNHer"! Please understand that this gentleman is a joy to be around, always positive and update, and yes, a bit flirtatious with me and the other members of our staff!

There is not much information at this time. His condition continues to be very critical at this time, but stable. He opened his eyes very slightly today, saw me standing there and I believe that he was trying to say "Charlie.....Charlie......" but then he drifted back off to sleep.

Your prayers and positive thoughts have helped tremendously, please keep them coming! And as a reminder, Happy Oaks has a very strict "NO VISITORS" policy in effect, and rooms, hallways, and common areas are constantly swept of uncredentialed individuals, recording devices, and unattended packages. Please honor our residents right to privacy! I will continue to keep you posted on Mr. G's progress.

With Kind Regards,

Ramona
              Dearest sweetest Ramona,

Word of your ward Mr. G's current predicament has apparently spread like wildfire - OK, more like an age-appropriate, slower version of wildfire - throughout the assisted living communities across New England. His reputation apparently does precede him, at least to places where Happy Oaks have visited in the past. And we here at WIS (think of us as extended caregivers - much like yourself, but far less saintly) came across a sprightly bunch from South Bay Manor down in the Ocean State the other day, as we were doing research on the latest of our "Where Are They Now?" series, featuring former Friars Mike & Drew Omicioli. Turns out, word of GUNHer's recent problems have reached them, and they asked me to post this wonderful new video they put together to brighten Mr. G's spirits. They even interspliced a few clips of Mr. G himself from his last visit - as you know, Ramona, he's the gent on the souped-up mobility scooter. Almost brought a tear to my eye - until I realized it was just windburn - but I'm sure some folks will find this inspirational. So please call me with any updates - my number is listed on Mr. G's will as primary beneficiary.

(signed) "Charlie"
              Self-appointed WIS caregiver for the stretch run

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Has anyone else noticed a couple of what I feel are significant changes to the Cats game. Forever, we have allowed the other team to be first to the puck in our defensive end. We it’s fowould then send in our D man with a supporting forward to see what we could do. I never felt it was particularly effective. Now we work at being first, slide it across or out to a forward. Either way we have a much better transition with fo
                ks actually moving

Comment

• What happened there?..
                  to continue, now we actually are moving the puck up ice…skating it out. Gone are the ever predictable DU long cross ice pass that usually need in a dump and run.
                  Change in coaching responsibilities, bring in some outside eyes? Makes for a much better game and makes better use of our team speed.

Comment

• Looking ahead to this weekend, UML does not have a 9-goal scorer and UMass-Flagship does not have an 8-goal scorer, whereas UNH has a 12-goal and a 9-goal scorer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      Looking ahead to this weekend, UML does not have a 9-goal scorer and UMass-Flagship does not have an 8-goal scorer, whereas UNH has a 12-goal and a 9-goal scorer.
                      Following your theme, Snives ... only one (1) HEA team has single-digit points so far this season. Guess who???

2022-23 Hockey East Men's Standings - Hockey East Association (hockeyeastonline.com)

Comment

• Oops, I misread calendar, no games this weekend, and the following weekend is Mac and UML, as all done with UMass-Flagship, unless we meet in the MBPBEGAM round, which is unlikely as badly as Flagship is playing.

Comment

• Meanwhile Eric Esposito is tearing up the AHC with 8 goals and 7 assists for 15 points, including a SHG and 30 SOG, 8 pen mins and a -5 for the ‘hurst (aka Mercyhurst). Why cannot we get goal-scoring forwards like that? Oh ……. Wait ……….

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65
                            Meanwhile Eric Esposito is tearing up the AHC with 8 goals and 7 assists for 15 points, including a SHG and 30 SOG, 8 pen mins and a -5 for the ‘hurst (aka Mercyhurst). Why cannot we get goal-scoring forwards like that? Oh …… Wait ……
                            You can say that again (and again), Snives ... ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                              What happened there?..
                              to continue, now we actually are moving the puck up ice…skating it out. Gone are the ever predictable DU long cross ice pass that usually need in a dump and run.
                              Change in coaching responsibilities, bring in some outside eyes? Makes for a much better game and makes better use of our team speed.
                              Been in Fla this week so missed these ATW! I'd agree those aspects of the 'Cats game have been coming together which is nice to see! Looking forward to seeing what they put together next weekend...
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

You can say that again (and again), Snives ... ;-)
                                ok, I will. :-) Tonight Eric Esposito scored a goal and an assist, but to no avail as Bentley won 5-3 for a split in Erie to keep UNH within one PWR place and point behind the ‘hurst in 50th ahead of Canisius.

Comment

Working...
                                X