Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men’s Hockey 22-23: the start of something new, or more of the same?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DB, in full agreement with you. He controls his rebounds exceptionally well. Not sure if the Saints are very good or not but I liked many aspects of our game. Special teams looked good both nights and getting so much from our freshmen will help for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      Huh. Wow.

I don't think any of us ever believed that UNH would be 2-0 out of the chute averaging 4.0 goals per game, with so many newcomers on the team.

It's early....but one has to ponder that maybe.....just maybe.....MS7 may finally have something to build upon.

Again, it's early....let's see where they are at the end of the month.

One pleasant surprise - former Babson stud Ryan Black with 3 assists on the weekend. Waddya think Chuck??? :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVzv...nnel=NinjaTune
      We chatted some with Ryan's parents and they are so thrilled for him getting this chance to play D1 hockey. A 3 point weekend is excellent and he was in the mix of things both nights..really hustles. A great addition to the 'Cats!
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Finally got home had a great ride with the foliage and seeing another part of the country I had not seen before...lol we took an alternate road from Massena and must've passed a dozen (or more) cannabis shops. Anyhoo was beautiful to drive along parts of Lake Champlain as well. Mr. HR drove, worked for me as I read every story watched every video about the games as well as texting with my fellow UNH fans about their perspectives on the weekend. (Thanks for indulging me)
        So in being home I have had a few mins to reflect on just how awesome being there was and I felt I was looking at an entirely NEW vibe on that ice. Here's what they managed to do this weekend:

*Scored 8 goals on the weekend. Came from behind and in a timely PP goal to beat Clarkson (who had a tough weekend)
        *Had what, 3 freshman score their first NCAA goals (Winters, Carfagna, LeClerc)
        *Played an aggressive PK- managed to kill off a 5 min penalty
        *Were hard on pucks and always had someone in the thick of things
        *Seemed to have a consistent breakout
        *Played an upbeat tempo on both ends of the ice
        *Liam Devlin continued to impress as he had 3 points as did Ryan Black (hustled too...we are going to hear more about him)
        *Saw both of our goal tenders play / both did an excellent job

Edit: a couple of points from Andrew Gardner/UNH reporter/journalist:

Also 2 stats to note: - UNH went 0-13-1 last year when trailing heading into the 3rd, so that has already been turned around after the 2 goal comeback - The team only won 4 road games all of last year so this is a great start

I think it was when the St. L game was just still back and forth I got a text from someone watching the game and they said "just win the ***** thing already'...soon it was 4-1 we had systematically taken over the game. All of this said:

*Too many penalties (we know that)
        *Still got penned in at times; this is problematic when playing higher skilled teams BUT I saw them pull out of that too/made adjustments
        *Playmakers are starting to show up...that has to be biggest offensive priority as the skills are def there

*And obviously it's way to early to know where this is going but I saw a motivated bunch of hockey players this weekend out to prove they had come to play. They deserved those 2 wins no question about it. (Esp considering how much time we spent defending penalties)

Til the opener!
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-10-2022, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Not bad, hopefully this really is the start of something new!

https://unhwildcats.com/news/2022/10...Bwx9LPhFkpwyts
          GO BLUE!

Comment

Just a few days ago many were clamoring for the season to begin so we could discuss on-ice play and results. Now with the first two games in the books, and two wins no less, everyone has gone silent! Seriously though, I guess two games is a pretty small sample size, especially the first two, but two back-to-back road wins (no matter the opponent) can't be completely discredited. Saturday night should give us a better glimpse into where this team may pan out.
            GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
              Just a few days ago many were clamoring for the season to begin so we could discuss on-ice play and results. Now with the first two games in the books, and two wins no less, everyone has gone silent! Seriously though, I guess two games is a pretty small sample size, especially the first two, but two back-to-back road wins (no matter the opponent) can't be completely discredited. Saturday night should give us a better glimpse into where this team may pan out.
              I think the "problem" is that many of us have seen this movie before. "Champions of October".

Our road contingent has also trailed off in the last generation. Gone are the days when UNH would often outnumber the home team fans at some rinks, and would form a vociferous away section regardless. So HR and her hubby may have been the only folks from "on here" to see the two North Country games live and in person, aside from "friends and family".

I wish we could go back in time to recapture some of that fun, but I doubt that we ever will ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

d.Gerry I was just thinking the same thing. Two very interesting games and as noted, they represent a very small sample size. That said, I have felt all summer that the addition of this class could really be a difference maker. DC is such an incredible addition to the D and looked great in all three zones. For his first college games he looked very mature. Love seeing RB off to an incredible start (perhaps a great D3 can translate) and the NH guys should be a great up grade.
                TM gives us the potential for some real stability for several years in goal. Perhaps my biggest surprise was the improvement of sophomore CS, he looked solid and appeared to frequently be first out on the PK. He may be a bottom 6er but a big help on special teams. Lots of other thoughts but would love to hear from others.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                  d.Gerry I was just thinking the same thing. Two very interesting games and as noted, they represent a very small sample size. That said, I have felt all summer that the addition of this class could really be a difference maker. DC is such an incredible addition to the D and looked great in all three zones. For his first college games he looked very mature. Love seeing RB off to an incredible start (perhaps a great D3 can translate) and the NH guys should be a great up grade.
                  TM gives us the potential for some real stability for several years in goal. Perhaps my biggest surprise was the improvement of sophomore CS, he looked solid and appeared to frequently be first out on the PK. He may be a bottom 6er but a big help on special teams. Lots of other thoughts but would love to hear from others.
                  I must admit I was in the "more of the same" camp prior to the start of the season (and still am), but it was nice to see two pretty solid games. The freshman class, and improvement of the sophomores are the definite wildcards here. Special teams looked good this weekend as well. Here's to hoping for the best!
                  GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

I think the "problem" is that many of us have seen this movie before. "Champions of October".

Our road contingent has also trailed off in the last generation. Gone are the days when UNH would often outnumber the home team fans at some rinks, and would form a vociferous away section regardless. So HR and her hubby may have been the only folks from "on here" to see the two North Country games live and in person, aside from "friends and family".

I wish we could go back in time to recapture some of that fun, but I doubt that we ever will ...
                    I get it, its hard to be optimistic when you've been smacked in the face over and over! Agree on going back in time, man had some good times back in the day!
                    GO BLUE!

Comment

I think everyone is waiting in line to get regional tickets. Based on the PWR and not craziness in conference tournaments we are 11th and back in the dance

Comment

NH College Hockey: UNH's new players show grit right away:
                        https://www.unionleader.com/sports/c...ock_id=1113726 (Not behind the pay wall.)
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                          NH College Hockey: UNH's new players show grit right away:
                          (Not behind the pay wall.)
                          Yeah, it is . :-)

UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Yeah, it is . :-)
                            It let me read the article, not sure why you can't. Some papers allow so many reads per month before you get "locked out", maybe you're over the limit?
                            GO BLUE!

Comment

It let me read the article, not sure why you can't. Some papers allow so many reads per month before you get "locked out", maybe you're over the limit?
                              Nope....haven't read the Union Leader on line in months. Guess they just hate me. Bastids. :-)
                              UNH

Comment

just saw the ad for the flex package...hey, give STH's a 10.00 concession stand voucher for renewing (not that the food is that appealing, maybe make it for the sky box bar?) ...add to list haha Anyway wish we were playing tonight! Saw online players hitting the dining halls giving out tix...thinking the game will be well attended to see the 'new ice' and to see if the 'Cats can bring it against BC. Too early to make a prediction, think the next 2 games will show alot about what we have and will certainly be a 'trial by fire' for our 12 new players. Here for it! Go 'Cats!

Comment

Working...
                                X