Unlv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlv?

Doing strong at club level. They have 4 games against NCAA D1 teams this year. They have been talking with ASU staff concerning transition from club to NCAA. Golden Knights have upgraded Rebels facilities. Sounds like Rebels could be getting serious? Lot of money in Vegas to fund more reasons to visit there.....

I heard Foley would pay half for the transition. Not sure how accurate that is. I was also told 5 years ago they would be NCAA D1 in three years.

Comment

I'm sure they are but... they need 50 million dollars. at a minimum and 200 million is more like it.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        I'm sure they are but... they need 50 million dollars. at a minimum and 200 million is more like it.
        When they already have a plethora of arena options available? I get that owning their own arena is preferable to renting Orleans Arena or that Henderson AHL rink, but $200M for endowing scholarships and paying for staff seems a bit steep.

And UNLV actually does have an arena that has hosted hockey in the past (their basketball arena), so worst case scenario they’re still just paying for new ice making equipment and maybe some retrofitting (as I assume they’ve long gotten rid of what was once there).
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I'm still a little surprised that UNLV didn't soon follow Arizona State into the D1 hockey world. Money wouldn't seem to be as much of a problem for them as it is for others, and they wouldn't necessarily have to build a hockey-only facility from scratch. So, wondering if there's pushback from entrenched football and/or hoops interests that don't want another revenue-producing sport that might compete for time, attention, and dollars.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

This is such a BS lazy take. Hockey seems to be the only sport that needs an endowment before it can be added.. NOT TRUE.

Comment

Lol. Tell that to LIU
              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
              B1G: UMinn, UWisc
              ECAC:
              HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
              NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
              WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

This is from the LVReview-Journal 2 years ago.

But while it’s the Arizona State club team the Rebels encounter this week, it’s a Sun Devils program that was born from $32 million in private donations and is in the midst of building a 5,000-seat arena that UNLV aspires to one day join on college hockey’s grandest stage.

Which brings us back to the part about money.

Khan estimates it would take $15 million to $20 million to make the transition solvent and set the Rebels up for the first five years at the NCAA level, where budgets competitive with the best programs hover around $2 million annually for a sport that allows 18 scholarships that can be spread over a large roster.
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Working...
                X