No announcement yet.

BU: '22-'23 Season: Sail The Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not a BU guy but I'm not a hater either. Seeing Dave Tomlinsons name brought back memories. Mark Hetnik, Peter Marshall, the great John Cullen. So many good players I've enjoyed. This years team is fun, too. Brown, Fensore, Wilmer, Skoog, this is a deep team. Hiring Pandolfo has paid off already.

Comment

• That was a great, entertaining game! Anyone who watched BU-Harvard and BU-Cornell the past couple of weeks have been treated to some of the best college hockey of the season!

I feel bullish about what this BU team might be capable of. The biggest difference is the upgrade in coaching & leadership compared to the past 4 years. They're learning how to play winning hockey (Matt Brown gets my nod for this given the plays he made to initiate the GWGs vs. Harvard and Cornell) and are a resilient bunch.

Comment

• Up to #5 in the USCHO poll, after starting the season at #12. First time in the top 5 since Oct. 2017.
        https://***********/BUHockeyStats/st...Wr7V_IO2CYHDpw

Re-establishing home-ice advantage. Home record this year is 9-2-0. Over the past 21 home games: 15-4-2 with three losses coming in OT.
        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
          Love the 1978 throwback red uniforms.
          Keep the Dog, the numbers on the front are not necessary at Agganis (the numbers originally replaced the dog because it was difficult to identify the players from the end zone box at Walter Brown).
          And great decision to wear them at home against Cornell.

Got a kick out of the Cornell fans chanting "Let's Go Red" the entire game, when their team was in white and the opposition was wearing RED. Are they really Ivy League? And if they are the "Big Red," what is that bear doing hugging the "C"?

Two really good teams, great game, great crowd (with the students still away) and major props to the ALUMNI Band, who are as good as ever.

"Let's go Red" has been around for as long as I can remember. I suppose it's not audible in those MSG broadcasts, but that cheer is nothing new, regardless of the opponent. If BU ever goes to Lynah after next season, which I imagine will happen, hopefully the game is not scheduled when the students are gone.

As for the bear, or Touchdown, as he's known, you can read up on that at Wikipedia. Occasionally, he'll make guest appearances at athletic events and give people hugs.
          Last edited by Red Hockey; 01-16-2023, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• I know its still early but the switch from Albie to Pandolfo is looking like an absolute program saver at this point. Kudos to the players and the AD who saw a change was needed and made it. Looks like the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
              I know its still early but the switch from Albie to Pandolfo is looking like an absolute program saver at this point. Kudos to the players and the AD who saw a change was needed and made it. Looks like the right call.
              100%.

From a roster building standpoint, Albie deserves a lot of credit. That's long been his strength (recruiting).

But in terms of having command over all areas of the program, that's where Albie fell short. I don't think he commanded the respect from his players that was necessary, nor was there a consistent level of accountability amongst everyone in the program. That said, player leadership under Albie didn't live up to BU Hockey standards, either.

I wonder how this BU team would've fared to date if Albie was still the HC. My intuition tells me it would've been another underperforming season languishing around .500. The close games this BU team has won would've more likely been ties or losses, and this team under Albie would've been less likely to show the resiliency they've often displayed after losses as well as in close games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

That said, player leadership under Albie didn't live up to BU Hockey standards, either.
                Agree with everything in this post but this. If Albie was coaching this years team would the captains respond to him like they do with Jay? I doubt it. What are the BU hockey standards you think Cockerill/Curry fell short of? Staying healthy? (cough Cockerill cough)

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                  Jofa - you are probably right about the Colgate game being on TV. I was at the game, so I can't say it wasn't. I guess the reason I thought it wasn't is that I have yet to see any video clips from that game, including from the man with them all, Sean Pickett. And yeah, I think Wisconsin was beating anyone that year, they were very good.
                  When I digitized my old videos I found that game, but it had bad audio and video, so I ended up not converting it. It's on YouTube (https://youtu.be/NHBrFhUH7No) with Tom Mees, so likely the ESPN feed. My video had Bob Niemeyer doing the call, so it was a Boston based local station, likely Channel 4, that showed it.

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by hydrant View Post

Agree with everything in this post but this. If Albie was coaching this years team would the captains respond to him like they do with Jay? I doubt it. What are the BU hockey standards you think Cockerill/Curry fell short of? Staying healthy? (cough Cockerill cough)
                    Fair point. Honestly, I think if Albie was still the HC, I might have similar opinions about their leadership as with our previous captains under Albie.

Conversely, I think if these same previous captains under Albie were in leadership roles on the current team, I'm inclined to believe they'd be viewed as fulfilling their roles close to (or to) the standards expected.

Bottom line is that the coach-player relationship is symbiotic in most instances. Strong coaching fosters strong player leadership, just as suspect coaching can make player leadership seem questionable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                      I know its still early but the switch from Albie to Pandolfo is looking like an absolute program saver at this point. Kudos to the players and the AD who saw a change was needed and made it. Looks like the right call.
                      And more specifically - have we seen enough yet where we can all now agree, that of the potential candidates mentioned, Jay was indeed the right choice?

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

And more specifically - have we seen enough yet where we can all now agree, that of the potential candidates mentioned, Jay was indeed the right choice?
                        As of this very minute, it's a slam dunk that Jay was the right choice.

Check back in April. : ) ; )

But seriously, everything about this team is light years better than it has been over the past 4 seasons. Jay's killing it and this is a great group with an ideal mix of upperclassman and talented youngsters. The future is bright.

BU Hockey: On Brand
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                          Love the 1978 throwback red uniforms.
                          Keep the Dog, the numbers on the front are not necessary at Agganis (the numbers originally replaced the dog because it was difficult to identify the players from the end zone box at Walter Brown).
                          And great decision to wear them at home against Cornell.

Got a kick out of the Cornell fans chanting "Let's Go Red" the entire game, when their team was in white and the opposition was wearing RED. Are they really Ivy League? And if they are the "Big Red," what is that bear doing hugging the "C"?

Two really good teams, great game, great crowd (with the students still away) and major props to the ALUMNI Band, who are as good as ever.
                          Now wait a minute. BU wore uniforms with the number below "BOSTON" while home games were played at Boston Arena, and the first few years at WBA. The Dog didn't appear until a few years later.

if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post

Now wait a minute. BU wore uniforms with the number below "BOSTON" while home games were played at Boston Arena, and the first few years at WBA. The Dog didn't appear until a few years later.
                            This is interesting. I definitely heard the same reason for the numbers replacing the dogs. But in looking through my "Images of Sports" series on BU Hockey here is what I see (there are tons of photos)

- The "Jack Garrity"/"Eichel in the Frozen Four" jerseys had nothing but the words Boston University
                            - The numbers first appeared sometime between 1953 and 1959
                            - The first images that show the Terrier are of Vic Stanfield, Ed Walsh, Bill Buckton, around 1974 (the photo of Walsh says it is from the 1974 Beanpot)
                            - It looks like the numbers returned around 83-84. The photo of the 1984 ECAC title game against RPI has the numbers.
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                              When I digitized my old videos I found that game, but it had bad audio and video, so I ended up not converting it. It's on YouTube (https://youtu.be/NHBrFhUH7No) with Tom Mees, so likely the ESPN feed. My video had Bob Niemeyer doing the call, so it was a Boston based local station, likely Channel 4, that showed it.

Sean
                              Not sure if you knew so, but that link is the Colgate-Wisconsin championship game, not the Colgate-BU semi. I tried a search and it doesn't seem to be on YouTube.
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post

Not sure if you knew so, but that link is the Colgate-Wisconsin championship game, not the Colgate-BU semi. I tried a search and it doesn't seem to be on YouTube.
                                I was a freshman that year and BU showed the game at the GSU. I watched it there. I don’t remember anything about the game being broadcast locally. I have heard that ESPN has been showing the championship game since their beginning. Not sure when they started showing semifinals.

Comment

Working...
                                X