This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OldAlum View Post

The other impressive aspect in last night's game was the discipline BU showed in not taking penalties. UMass was desperate to get on the power play (and theirs is very good), and they tried to bait our players into responding to provocations. They got no takers. I watched Skoog shake his head and smirk as he skated away from a slash after the whistle.
    This is key. Early on they were really penalty prone. But that they could get shellacked and then bounce back the next night was a sign that these guys are really coachable. That they can get the penalty stuff under control is another sign of it. This team is showing really positive signs.

Which feels so different. I mean it seems so many years were "wait until after Christmas to see how BU really does."

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Sad news to report - long time member of the BU Friends of Hockey, and former team manager of the 1971 and 1972 national championship teams Chris Henes passed away on Saturday. Chris also used to post here on occasion. Here is a link to his obituary.

http://hosting-6829.tributes.com/obi...enes-108548333

Chris was one of the good ones. May he rest in peace.
      It was particularly hard on Chris that he couldn't be at Agganis the past few seasons. For decades, he was the glue of the Terrier Hockey alumni community and a friend to everyone who was fortunate to have known him. We'll have a stand-alone post about a great Terrier on the blog in the next day or two.

The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

It wasn't bad. Filled in during the first. I don't think I've heard them announce attendance this season.
        The box score says 4,869 but I always wonder what that number is - it often seems published attendance is quite a bit higher than what our eyes tell us when we are at the games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

The absolute key to success of this team is staying out of the box and playing teams 5v5 where their depth shows. They were averaging almost a period of penalties per game which is unacceptable. Greene did take a dumb penalty but hopefully he learns. Overall, fantastic weekend. There is a massive difference in team structure with Panda at the helm and the results show.

BU now ranked 11 in the new USCHO poll.

Comment

Sad news to report - long time member of the BU Friends of Hockey, and former team manager of the 1971 and 1972 national championship teams Chris Henes passed away on Saturday. Chris also used to post here on occasion. Here is a link to his obituary.

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I was not familiar with Chris but very sorry for the loss. Never like to see a Terrier faithful go down.

Comment

• Chris was one of the "glue people" behind Friends of BU Hockey for decades. One of the nicest, most engaged, knowledgeable, passionate BU Hockey supporters ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                  Chris was one of the "glue people" behind Friends of BU Hockey for decades. One of the nicest, most engaged, knowledgeable, passionate BU Hockey supporters ever.
                  I second this and all of the above/below comments. Chris had the unique ability to treat everyone like a long-lost friend. Truly one of the good ones.

BU Hockey: Death In The Family
                  It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                    What makes this even more impressive - BU's strength of schedule, as rated in KRACH, is far and away #1 in the country and it's not remotely close.

1. BU 655.8
                    2. ND 470.0
                    3. MI 449.0
                    4. UMA 404.4
                    5. DU 373.3

BU has played a ranked team in every game of the season since the Bentley opener, and that'll likely continue for another three games unless Northeastern falls out of the rankings this week.
                    This is certainly a departure from prior seasons when we'd schedule in some cupcakes at the beginning of the season. How much of that is the new coaching staff setting schedule vs a quicker start to Hockey East play?
                    Last edited by bu98; 11-16-2022, 01:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bu98 View Post

This is certainly a departure from prior seasons when we'd schedule in some cupcakes at the beginning of the season. How much of that is the new coaching staff setting schedule vs a quicker start to Hockey East play?
                      A combo. This season's non-conf schedule was largely set by Albie before he departed.

I think the biggest different this coaching staff has made is in getting the team more ready to play. It's believed Albie's rationale was to set a softer non-conf schedule so it'd give BU better chances to rack up wins. Another factor was Albie didn't have as strong a connection with HCs of B1G / NCHC programs compared to DQ; he had stronger ties to HCs of ECAC / Atlantic Hockey programs. Additionally, many of the B1G and NCHC schools already had existing agreements for non-conference games, further limiting BU's options in recent years for non-conf scheduling.

The problem with Albie's "soft non-conference schedule" approach was that he too often did a subpar job in getting his teams ready to play those games that should have been convincing wins with a thorough effort.
                      Last edited by Friend_of_BU_Hockey; 11-16-2022, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post

It was particularly hard on Chris that he couldn't be at Agganis the past few seasons. For decades, he was the glue of the Terrier Hockey alumni community and a friend to everyone who was fortunate to have known him. We'll have a stand-alone post about a great Terrier on the blog in the next day or two.
                        The Terrier Hockey Blog post dedicated to the memory of Chris Henes is up. Here is the link The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog. A fine remembrance to a great guy, and a friend to generations of BU hockey players, their families and just plain fans of BU Hockey.

Last edited by buoldtimer; 11-16-2022, 04:01 PM.
                        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Thanks for posting that. Hard to believe he won’t be at Agganis anymore. I’m planning to go to the wake tomorrow.

Comment

I sat in front of him for the better part of 10 years. A few years ago, when he knew he was late in the back nine, he drove to my house to deliver a signed stick to my son from one of the legacy BU teams to 'pass it on'. I knew the fast ball was coming, but I wasn't at all prepared for it. I'm bummed that I am out of town to miss the services. I'll never not think of him at a game. His positivity was infectious.
                            "What about my asthma?"
                            "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

• Big weekend against the pre-season #1 team in HE. Thoughts?
                              It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                                Big weekend against the pre-season #1 team in HE. Thoughts?
                                This NU team has gone from pre-season #1 to easy win until proven otherwise. I expect a less than competitive game tonight. Maybe tomorrow will look different with mcdonough and struble back, but their suspension is not an excuse for the soggy play I’m expecting tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X