BU: '22-'23 Season: Sail The Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

Bernie was wrong that the goalie was outside the crease.
    Yes, I agree. I never said he was...I said that Tuch's skate being "in the blue" doesn't necessarily mean that it should be interference. I think Bernie was looking at that overhead shot where because the goalie was leaning forward (so that his torso was over the crease border extended) he incorrectly stated that he was "outside the crease." But his skates were still in the crease.

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
      O'Brien and Skoog need to step up the scoring.
      Seven games in and no goals for O’Brien and Skoog (only 6 games). Skoog has only taken 13 shots, but he is producing results with his net-front presence. He created havoc that allowed Brown to score the GWG vs. Michigan and he screened UConn’s goalie on Brown’s game-winning PPG. Good thing Hanson wasn’t the ref on that one as Skoog had both skates in the paint.

On last night’s first BU goal, with Skoog is planted in front, Grigals leans right to see around Skoog and Lane fires back to the goalie’s left. Slow the video down to half speed. https://youtu.be/NyKEQu6uzEo?t=623

O’Brien (21 shots) has been getting good shots (with the notable exception of one in OT in the loss to UConn). Last night, great set up from Phillips to JOB in the slot. Robbed by Grigals.

The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• https://***********/jimmyconnelly/st...BT8D_DqGg&s=19

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

As soon as I saw Hansen involved I knew it would waved off. Guy will look for any reason to call off a goal. Bernie was wrong that the goalie was outside the crease. They used to blow plays dead years ago for crease violations but not anymore. I think you could apply common sense that I didn't see anyone on the ice complaining for Lowell. The asking the linesman after was something. Of course when you break something down in slow motion you see a player in the crease and MAYBE there was some sort of contact but that doesn't automatically mean a goal should be called off.

NHL certainly has a much higher threshold. I see some in NHL where it looks like clear interference and they let it stand.
          This video shows the play very well in slow motion. https://***********/BUHockeyStats/st...75546838147072

There was clear contact when the goalie moves to his left - his head bumps into Skoog. Skoog's left skate is *barely* in the crease and the contact is minimal. However, it did occur and it's clear on the video. To some other comments here, the in the crease component only comes into play if contact is made. Simply being in the crease, in and of itself, is not a violation.

However, all of the above is not relevant - the head contact occurred after the puck was in the net. This is obvious on the slow-mo replay, which I have to assume the officials had in the booth. Even at full speed, it's relatively clear the puck was already in. Certainly not clear and obvious (or whatever the standard is) to overturn a call on the ice.

The only possible contact that occurred before the puck goes in is Skoog's leg/skate might've grazed the goalie, but it'd be the slightest of touches and absolutely not obvious on the video. Additionally, you can see the Lowell defender initiate contact with Skoog to push him back a bit toward the goalie.

There's absolutely zero rule-based explanation for overturning that.

If you need to spend 30 seconds after you complete the review aligning your story with all four officials, that should be clear and obvious your call is wrong.
          Last edited by brassbonanza; 10-30-2022, 11:01 AM.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• One takeaway from this weekend is that our powerplay isn't very good. Even when set up, nothing seems to ever happen. Not moving any lowell players around. Just passing bewteen O'brien-fensore-Brown then a turnover usually comes.

Also, Wilmer needs to shoot the f'in puck. I know he's a pass first guy, but passed up 3-4 opportunities when he HAD to shoot. There was a moment in the 3rd where he didn't shoot and the whole arena shared their displeasure. Can't recall a time where I've heard that many people ****ed about not shooting.

Comment

• Originally posted by hydrant View Post
              One takeaway from this weekend is that our powerplay isn't very good. Even when set up, nothing seems to ever happen. Not moving any lowell players around. Just passing bewteen O'brien-fensore-Brown then a turnover usually comes.

Also, Wilmer needs to shoot the f'in puck. I know he's a pass first guy, but passed up 3-4 opportunities when he HAD to shoot. There was a moment in the 3rd where he didn't shoot and the whole arena shared their displeasure. Can't recall a time where I've heard that many people ****ed about not shooting.
              The PP was awful this weekend, as was the whole offensive gameplan, but prior to Friday it was at 24%.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• My last comment on this, as it is over and we’ll get moving forward. This Rule 60 as Jimmy Connelly has quoted requires the defender to establish a significant position in the crease. If that obstructs line of sight, goal is disallowed. His skate was an inch in the crease, which I contend is not established or significant. Bad call in my opinion. If his skate is 1 inch outside, the same result of a goal takes place. Lots of judgement used on the play. Bad judgment. I’ve said my peace and I’m done with this one.

Big series in 2 weeks against UMass in 2 weeks. We’ll match up better against them than Lowell. Should be much more entertaining. Playing against Lowell is like playing in a sandbox.

Comment

• And in other news, BU gets a commitment from John McNelis, an 06’ with the LI Gulls.

Comment

• Originally posted by Section 6, Row S View Post
                    And in other news, BU gets a commitment from John McNelis, an 06’ with the LI Gulls.
                    https://***********/PuckPreps/status...GYUPWQUDw&s=19

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

This video shows the play very well in slow motion. https://***********/BUHockeyStats/st...75546838147072

There was clear contact when the goalie moves to his left - his head bumps into Skoog. Skoog's left skate is *barely* in the crease and the contact is minimal. However, it did occur and it's clear on the video. To some other comments here, the in the crease component only comes into play if contact is made. Simply being in the crease, in and of itself, is not a violation.

However, all of the above is not relevant - the head contact occurred after the puck was in the net. This is obvious on the slow-mo replay, which I have to assume the officials had in the booth. Even at full speed, it's relatively clear the puck was already in. Certainly not clear and obvious (or whatever the standard is) to overturn a call on the ice.

The only possible contact that occurred before the puck goes in is Skoog's leg/skate might've grazed the goalie, but it'd be the slightest of touches and absolutely not obvious on the video. Additionally, you can see the Lowell defender initiate contact with Skoog to push him back a bit toward the goalie.

There's absolutely zero rule-based explanation for overturning that.

If you need to spend 30 seconds after you complete the review aligning your story with all four officials, that should be clear and obvious your call is wrong.
                      I thought it was Tuch, not Skoog?

Anyway, to continue the chat about O'Brien, he was kind of invisible on Friday night. Late in the second period he was involved in the play and I said to myself "Who is 18 again?" Because I didn't recall seeing him on the ice.

As for the power play - not winning faceoffs to start a power play has long been a pet peeve of mine. While it is good to see them doing better with faceoffs overall this season, it still seems like they lose most of the initial faceoffs at the start of a power play. Puck gets cleared and by the time they bring back into the zone, they've lost almost 30 seconds of PP time.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

With too cold cold dogs?
                        Didn’t try the hot dogs - I gave my kids money since they wanted hot dogs so they waited in line and once they got to the register they were told they couldn’t buy any since they didn’t have a credit card. So we didn’t wait in line a second time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          *** is up with no cash at concessions? And - didn’t they say concessions were changed and improved? It seeks like it is still the ****ty chicken fingers and not cold enough beer.
                          Isn't it Aramark there? Same as at Fenway (which is Aramark) and Gillette (which is not). Totally cashless.

At Fenway, you can insert cash into a machine and get a card that you can use anywhere.

I think that's how they get around it.

And the condiments at Fenway are inedible. Who wants healthy ketchup? I want Heinz!
                          Last edited by Leonidas; 10-31-2022, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonidas View Post

Isn't it Aramark there? Same as at Fenway (which is Aramark) and Gillette (which is not). Totally cashless.

At Fenway, you can insert cash into a machine and get a card that you can use anywhere.
                            Totally lame - and another reason to push me closer to (finally) opting out of my season tickets next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonidas View Post

I think that's how they get around it.

And the condiments at Fenway are inedible. Who wants healthy ketchup? I want Heinz!
                              Yeah, it's not a BU or an Agganis-specific thing. A lot of arenas and stadiums are cashless now. However there is one register at the ice cream concession that have taken cash the last couple of games.

And OMG Leonidas, I can't believe you mentioned the ketchup at Fenway!! My niece is allergic to carrots and can't use it because there are carrots in the ketchup. And I feel there is a small movement afoot (I've seen a few tweets to implore Fenway to offer regular ketchup next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

Yeah, it's not a BU or an Agganis-specific thing. A lot of arenas and stadiums are cashless now. However there is one register at the ice cream concession that have taken cash the last couple of games.

And OMG Leonidas, I can't believe you mentioned the ketchup at Fenway!! My niece is allergic to carrots and can't use it because there are carrots in the ketchup. And I feel there is a small movement afoot (I've seen a few tweets to implore Fenway to offer regular ketchup next season.
                                Thats fine (I guess) for me, although I'm not a fan of having lots of $10 and $15 charges on my credit card - what to do people do when their kids go to the game? They expect parents to provide their kids with credit cards now? One one hand it is a small peccadillo, but on the other hand kind of a big negative IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X