BU: '22-'23 Season: Sail The Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Kaplan was the main offender of the night, taking 3 of the 6 penalties.

Sean
    Yep, and I believe two of those were in the attacking zone.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• I arrived right after McCarthy's goal (3 accidents coming down from North Shore...)

- Penalties definitely hurt the team. Gallagher's was especially egregious - there is no way that wouldn't have been called. He was wrestling with a Husky along the boards. Got up, saw no penalty was called, skated hard to get back in the crease, but then just walloped a Husky for a cross-check.
      - The GWG wasn't really 1-on-3. It was a 1-on-1 - with two Terrier's just behind the play. But you don't expect the a shot from there to go in - it was a beautiful shot thought - very top corner.
      - I'm a little surprised that Lane Hutson has supplanted Fensore on the first PP unit. He is very skilled with the puck for sure. But Fensore is a better skater (at least faster) and that may be more critical to getting into the zone and setting up.
      - I'm not overly worried about the team. There are a lot of young guys getting pretty significant ice time, and everyone is playing for a new coach. They will learn and I have faith they will play well down the stretch. Will they finish in second place in the league? Maybe not. But I still think they have a solid chance to be an NCAA team.
      - Great to see the 4th line play well.

Let's hope for a different result tonight. UConn is a good team so it won't be easy. But should be easier than winning at Yost after getting blown out.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrier86 View Post
        From Prep Pucks....
        BREAKING: It looks like 5 ⭐️ recruit Ryan Fine is no longer committed to Boston University as their logo has been removed from the U18 line chart. It was there 5 days ago prior to their last game. Huge news as our #10 ranked skater’s recruitment is now back open.
        I can't imagine Fine is still considered a 5-star recruit unless he it the best defensive forward since Patrice Bergeron. In two years with the USNTDP he hasn't done much scoring. I think he has 3 points this season, which given how well the U-18s have been playing, isn't much. Perhaps we'll be able to tell by where he lands.

Comment

• Seems BU has finally figured out how to win face-offs. I am too lazy to look up the final numbers but they were well ahead after the second period. And it seems like they have been on the winning end for most games so far. Kudos to whoever is responsible!

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
            I arrived right after McCarthy's goal (3 accidents coming down from North Shore...)

- Penalties definitely hurt the team. Gallagher's was especially egregious - there is no way that wouldn't have been called. He was wrestling with a Husky along the boards. Got up, saw no penalty was called, skated hard to get back in the crease, but then just walloped a Husky for a cross-check.
            - The GWG wasn't really 1-on-3. It was a 1-on-1 - with two Terrier's just behind the play. But you don't expect the a shot from there to go in - it was a beautiful shot thought - very top corner.
            - I'm a little surprised that Lane Hutson has supplanted Fensore on the first PP unit. He is very skilled with the puck for sure. But Fensore is a better skater (at least faster) and that may be more critical to getting into the zone and setting up.
            - I'm not overly worried about the team. There are a lot of young guys getting pretty significant ice time, and everyone is playing for a new coach. They will learn and I have faith they will play well down the stretch. Will they finish in second place in the league? Maybe not. But I still think they have a solid chance to be an NCAA team.
            - Great to see the 4th line play well.

Let's hope for a different result tonight. UConn is a good team so it won't be easy. But should be easier than winning at Yost after getting blown out.
            Lane has not supplanted Fensore on the top unit. Jay is just rolling out each unit first depending on who is performing better that night - so basically, as of now there is no "first" unit. Lane also has an insane amount of puck handling and passing skill. He has an enormous amount of raw talent - a bunch of GMs are going to look foolish in a few years for passing him over.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Anyone interested in 3 tickets to tonight’s game? $20 each, Venmo only. Section 101, Row H. Can transfer. JonMailloux1@gmail.com

Comment

Seems BU has finally figured out how to win face-offs. I am too lazy to look up the final numbers but they were well ahead after the second period. And it seems like they have been on the winning end for most games so far. Kudos to whoever is responsible!
                Yes, BU is winning more face-offs than their opponents: 157-115 overall; 33-35 vs Bentley; 39-21 vs Waterloo (not included in overall); 45-27 and 36-31 vs Michigan; and 43-22 vs UConn. However, BU lost the 2 games they had 18 & 22 more faceoff wins.

This season I'm tracking game results vs faceoff wins. So far there is no correlation between winning faceoffs and winning games.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Seems BU has finally figured out how to win face-offs. I am too lazy to look up the final numbers but they were well ahead after the second period. And it seems like they have been on the winning end for most games so far. Kudos to whoever is responsible!
                  BU won 43 of 65 draws for an ungodly 66%. At the end of the first period, Mark Linehan said BU had a 16-4 advantage. For the two games at Michigan BU won 81 of 139 draws or 58%. I'm going way out on a limb and suggest that having a skills coach may have something to do with it. However, on his media call, Pandolfo attributed it to having 3 experienced senior centers and a very good freshman. (FWIW, last year Greene won 13 of 21 head to head with Logan Cooley. Yeah, the USHL has those stats).

Besides the improved winning percentage, gotta love the dogged pursuit of lost draws--and contested ones--and recovery of possession which happened several times last night. That's one part of Pandolfo's definition of hard on the puck.
                  The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

I can't imagine Fine is still considered a 5-star recruit unless he it the best defensive forward since Patrice Bergeron. In two years with the USNTDP he hasn't done much scoring. I think he has 3 points this season, which given how well the U-18s have been playing, isn't much. Perhaps we'll be able to tell by where he lands.
                    Puck Preps seems to be an outlier on Fine. That's two deletions from the pipeline in 8 days, the other being Jack Musa. Given the guy who's heading recruiting now, that's not likely a coincidence. Pure speculation on my part: there are still a few high-end '04s and '05s who have yet to commit. And Chris Peters posted that Macklin Celebrini ( 2 more goals last night) might accelerate to arrive in 2023.
                    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

I arrived right after McCarthy's goal (3 accidents coming down from North Shore...)
                      You deserve a trophy for making it to the game despite incurring three traffic accidents. What does your car look like?

if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Was hoping the weekend splits were ending. This keeps up and rover will be back calling for prince pando’s head as albie 2.0
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          That won’t happen because they never win on my birthday.
                          A first time?

Great bounce back by the boys tonight! We controlled most of the play tonight. A few times we were standing around watching, but all in all a great effort. 4 of 6 pts against UConn isn’t bad. Now we need to start taking 2 on the weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            Was hoping the weekend splits were ending. This keeps up and rover will be back calling for prince pando’s head as albie 2.0
                            Albie was weekend splitting against Sacred Heart. Jay is weekend splitting at Yost and home to a top-15 team. Night and day.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Hopefully, Webber is okay. Pandolfo said he seemed to be okay in post game press. We really only play 5 D....need them healthy.

Comment

• 2 points

The weekend was not a split. We secured 4 out of 6 points and this will help in pairwise
                                Very impressed by Connecticut team and they have two very good goalies

Excellent adjustment by the coaching staff for second game
                                Started with responsible defensive 4th line against CT first line
                                Pressured uber prospect Matthew Wood whenever he touched puck
                                Going to be a great player but still a little green and took him out of game

Comment

Working...
                                X