Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU: '22-'23 Season: Sail The Boats

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    I thought they had a pre-conference dinner or something on Thursday where they would announce these. Am I misremembering?
    No you're not misremembering. The dinner was stopped for the pandemic and, as Bernie noted during the UVM game, Hockey East had elected not to hold one this year. No indication about the future.

    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

    Comment


    • Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
      JFC, we get it. You HATE the idea of bringing in players (especially GRAD players) through the portal. Borek didn't "POACH" anyone. Every player who enters the portal is available to EVERY TEAM. Stop with that foolish nonsense. He still had to COACH the players and blend them in with the existing players. Again, Jay is a terrific coach and did a great job this year, but let's also remember that they lost TWICE to Merrimack.
      Taking players from the portal can be seen as taking them from current program. Maybe poach isn’t the perfect word. It’s within the rules and a shortcut. Do you comprehend that grabbing a bunch of proven players at this level isn’t as impressive as building from within? Obviously the hockey East coaches thought the same.
      Last edited by Lemonade; 03-15-2023, 12:13 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Tater View Post

        Coaches
        All of them? Meaning - assistants as well or just the head coaches?

        The only thing I can think of with regards to Pandolfo getting it over Borek is that Pandolfo did it in his first season.

        Comment


        • Except Jay did not build the team from within. He inherited a group of very talented upperclassmen, sprinkled in some terrific Freshmen, recruited to the program when Albi was the coach, and viola RS HE champs. Nice work but not COY stuff in comparison to Borek.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by DNAEagle View Post
            Except Jay did not build the team from within. He inherited a group of very talented upperclassmen, sprinkled in some terrific Freshmen, recruited to the program when Albi was the coach, and viola RS HE champs. Nice work but not COY stuff in comparison to Borek.
            Within means from WITHIN....as in existing players and recruits not free agent portal pickups. Not hard to comprehend. Not sure what you are arguing as I thought Borek was going to win but I see how coaches could disagree with the way he built that team.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

              Taking players from the portal can be seen as taking them from current program. Maybe poach isn’t the perfect word. It’s within the rules and a shortcut. Do you comprehend that grabbing a bunch of proven players at this level isn’t as impressive as building from within? Obviously the hockey East coaches thought the same.
              No, taking players from the portal means the player wilfully left that school and opened themselves to other schools. That's not taking a player "from" another program, it's taking them from a portal the player chose to enter.

              Also, you know how we got Matt Brown, right?
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

              Comment


              • Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

                No, taking players from the portal means the player wilfully left that school and opened themselves to other schools. That's not taking a player "from" another program, it's taking them from a portal the player chose to enter.

                Also, you know how we got Matt Brown, right?
                Yes. Matt Brown came from UML via the portal which I still think is free agent hockey. Kids used to have to sit out a year now its musical chairs. Kids are going to transfer I get it - but grabbing what 7 or 8 grad students is kind of on a different level.

                Comment


                • Lane Hutson is a Hobey finalist:

                  https://goterriers.com/news/2023/3/1...OsuXF59IG-tDuE

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                    No you're not misremembering. The dinner was stopped for the pandemic and, as Bernie noted during the UVM game, Hockey East had elected not to hold one this year. No indication about the future.
                    Maybe Borek gets really drunk at these things and embarrasses himself...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

                      Yes. Matt Brown came from UML via the portal which I still think is free agent hockey. Kids used to have to sit out a year now its musical chairs. Kids are going to transfer I get it - but grabbing what 7 or 8 grad students is kind of on a different level.
                      You also fail to recognize the abnormal amount of grad transfers right now because of the Covid year, and that all Ivy schools do not allow grads to play sports, thus an outsized number transfer to use their remaining eligibility.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

                        You also fail to recognize the abnormal amount of grad transfers right now because of the Covid year, and that all Ivy schools do not allow grads to play sports, thus an outsized number transfer to use their remaining eligibility.
                        Does any team in the country have more graduate transfers than Merrimack with 7?

                        Comment


                        • I'm going to post my re-evaluated awards for this season:

                          COY - Pandolfo BU
                          POY - Hutson BU
                          ROY - Hutson BU
                          First Team - All BU Guys
                          Second Team - All BU Guys
                          Richter Award - Commesso BU
                          Hobey Baker - Hutson/Commesso co-winners!

                          Yay BU!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by navy44 View Post
                            I'm going to post my re-evaluated awards for this season:

                            COY - Pandolfo BU
                            POY - Hutson BU
                            ROY - Hutson BU
                            First Team - All BU Guys
                            Second Team - All BU Guys
                            Richter Award - Commesso BU
                            Hobey Baker - Hutson/Commesso co-winners!

                            Yay BU!
                            "I'm calling the Secretary of State of Hockey East. There was no way Borek lost without massive voter fraud. I saw Ted Donato hanging around the polling station. Jack Parker was allowed to vote as a Coach Emeritus."

                            Comment


                            • I don’t think the choice is that controversial. I know it’s a regular season award but like to have waited to see how the HE Tournament plays out. MC isn’t lights out just improved. At least BU went from hot crap to reg season title and #5 pairwise. Yes there were veterans already here and some strong recruits but until Jay took the reigns they weren’t performing

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                                I don’t think the choice is that controversial. I know it’s a regular season award but like to have waited to see how the HE Tournament plays out. MC isn’t lights out just improved. At least BU went from hot crap to reg season title and #5 pairwise. Yes there were veterans already here and some strong recruits but until Jay took the reigns they weren’t performing
                                Fair or not I think a lot of us look to what was expected in the preseason. And despite what you're saying about Pandolfo taking over a bad team they were still expected to be very good this year. Plus, he was on the staff last year. He didn't come in totally blind.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X