Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU: '22-'23 Season: Sail The Boats

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by joen05 View Post
    I think that if you've watched games this year, its clear to see that Drew has not been as good as he could be. His stats are very representative of his play. He's had a handful of great games, and many more just ok games.
    I would say that's very fair assessment.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

      A goalie could see 50 shots from redline on the ice and would have a 1.00 Save Percentage while one goalie could see 50 breakaways and save 45 of them and have a .900 save percentage.
      Thank you for providing an example of something that never happens.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by J.D. View Post

        Thank you for providing an example of something that never happens.
        Quality of shots matter.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

          Quality of shots matter.
          Obviously. I have no idea if there are college hockey stats that account for the quality of shot. Seems unlikely. So in absence of that, save percentage is still usually a pretty reliable stat.

          Comment


          • 100% of making NCAA’s according to CHN’s pairwise probability matrix. Only 11% chance of top 4 right now. 5-8 is likely. Not too bad. I think if we went on a winning streak again and won HE tournament and with some losses above us , there are probably increased odds for 1-4. The team will need to find themselves again, however. Hopefully this little failure at the garden kicks them into gear again. Plenty of talent, we’re healthy, lots of wins, let’s get this done!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Tater View Post
              Brian Durocher is retiring from head coach of the women’s team. 10th all time in wins and a great all-around person.

              Staying at BU as special assistant to the AD.
              I second the "great all-around person" comment. I had a nice talk with him at the 2009 post-championship party (#BUFanFlex) and he couldn't have been nicer. He loved coaching the women's team. I wish him well in retirement. He's a Terrier legend.
              It Happened!!!!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by toc View Post
                I’m sure this gets brought up all the time, but will the men’s team ever go back to the primary uniforms the women wear?
                I had been thinking about doing a short history of the BU hockey uniform and I finally took a stab at doing it. There have been 7 major uniforms since WWII (BU issued their first standard uniform when the program restarted in 1946 under Coach Cleverly), plus a number of minor tweaks to those designs over the years. If there is interest here I will consider putting something online. The uniform worn by the women is what I call the Jack Kelly Uniform and is the one that has been worn the longest, from 1962-72 and then again from 1983 until whenever it was last worn. What some here call the candy canes I call the Bob Marquis uniform and it was worn from 1957-62 and again since 2007-08. The 50's throwback I call the Jack Garrity uniform and it was worn from 1949-53 and again since 2014-15 a few times a season. The current Terrier head logo uniform, which I call the Leon Abbot uniform, was worn from 1972-83 and again since last season.

                By the way, the Terrier head jersey was first worn the season Walter Brown Arena opened and then for an additional decade. So the idea that the Terrier head logo was replaced with the player's number because the WBA press box was at one end of the rink would appear to be incorrect.

                Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

                BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                  I had been thinking about doing a short history of the BU hockey uniform and I finally took a stab at doing it. There have been 7 major uniforms since WWII (BU issued their first standard uniform when the program restarted in 1946 under Coach Cleverly), plus a number of minor tweaks to those designs over the years. If there is interest here I will consider putting something online. The uniform worn by the women is what I call the Jack Kelly Uniform and is the one that has been worn the longest, from 1962-72 and then again from 1983 until whenever it was last worn. What some here call the candy canes I call the Bob Marquis uniform and it was worn from 1957-62 and again since 2007-08. The 50's throwback I call the Jack Garrity uniform and it was worn from 1949-53 and again since 2014-15 a few times a season. The current Terrier head logo uniform, which I call the Leon Abbot uniform, was worn from 1972-83 and again since last season.

                  By the way, the Terrier head jersey was first worn the season Walter Brown Arena opened and then for an additional decade. So the idea that the Terrier head logo was replaced with the player's number because the WBA press box was at one end of the rink would appear to be incorrect.

                  Sean
                  The only other two I can think of would be the Fenway jersey (with the Red Sox font lettering) and the really old one with just the B (I think) on the front - where they even wore brown gloves I think.

                  both of those have been worn very few times as far as I can remember.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                    The only other two I can think of would be the Fenway jersey (with the Red Sox font lettering) and the really old one with just the B (I think) on the front - where they even wore brown gloves I think.

                    both of those have been worn very few times as far as I can remember.
                    Both of those were special one-offs, so I didn't mention them.

                    The Frozen Fenway jersey was really just a modified Kelley jersey, with the Red Sox font on front and Red Sox logo on the sleeves instead of the player's number.

                    The 100th season uniform was based on a sweater worn by one of the original players, but BU had no standard uniform as the other players had plain sweaters with nothing on the chest. I also don't believe that it was a brilliant scarlet like the facsimilie was.



                    Sean
                    Last edited by Sean Pickett; 02-16-2023, 02:36 PM.
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

                    BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                      By the way, the Terrier head jersey was first worn the season Walter Brown Arena opened and then for an additional decade. So the idea that the Terrier head logo was replaced with the player's number because the WBA press box was at one end of the rink would appear to be incorrect.
                      Sean
                      No. You would be incorrect.
                      That was definitely one one of the reasons, even though it was not made right away.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Tater View Post
                        Brian Durocher is retiring from head coach of the women’s team. 10th all time in wins and a great all-around person.

                        Staying at BU as special assistant to the AD.
                        Brian Durocher is a Terrier through-and-through, and bleeds scarlet. A co-captain of the 1978 NCAA championship team, and longtime assistant to Jack Parker before successfully taking over the newly minted women's program (also interim head coach for Colgate men).

                        A first-class guy.

                        What he has done quietly off the ice, including overseeing the long term care for Elliot Driben, BU's #1 fan, without seeking any attention for himself, shows what a remarkably caring man that he is, which has carried over to his players.

                        Best wishes in retirement. BU is fortunately that he will stay involved in the athletic department.

                        Comment


                        • This team needs to get back on track this weekend, to state the obvious. They need to get back tp 35 shots on net, not 22. They need to adjust the PP to be able to take more shots without risking sending the puck out of the zone on a complete miss - in other words, get shots from the point, not from the Pasta/Ovi spot off to the side. And whoever put all that Vaseline on their sticks Monday night should be fired!
                          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            I had been thinking about doing a short history of the BU hockey uniform and I finally took a stab at doing it. There have been 7 major uniforms since WWII (BU issued their first standard uniform when the program restarted in 1946 under Coach Cleverly), plus a number of minor tweaks to those designs over the years. If there is interest here I will consider putting something online. The uniform worn by the women is what I call the Jack Kelly Uniform and is the one that has been worn the longest, from 1962-72 and then again from 1983 until whenever it was last worn. What some here call the candy canes I call the Bob Marquis uniform and it was worn from 1957-62 and again since 2007-08. The 50's throwback I call the Jack Garrity uniform and it was worn from 1949-53 and again since 2014-15 a few times a season. The current Terrier head logo uniform, which I call the Leon Abbot uniform, was worn from 1972-83 and again since last season.

                            By the way, the Terrier head jersey was first worn the season Walter Brown Arena opened and then for an additional decade. So the idea that the Terrier head logo was replaced with the player's number because the WBA press box was at one end of the rink would appear to be incorrect.

                            Sean
                            mookie would buy this book.
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by defkit View Post
                              This team needs to get back on track this weekend, to state the obvious. They need to get back tp 35 shots on net, not 22. They need to adjust the PP to be able to take more shots without risking sending the puck out of the zone on a complete miss - in other words, get shots from the point, not from the Pasta/Ovi spot off to the side. And whoever put all that Vaseline on their sticks Monday night should be fired!
                              Also.... whoever put them double runners sharpened with a rock found at Crane Beach should also be fired.
                              It Happened!!!!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Bomber View Post

                                Also.... whoever put them double runners sharpened with a rock found at Crane Beach should also be fired.
                                LMAO....its true though - can't remember seeing so many players just lose and edge and fall down!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X