X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarlet
    replied
    Ah Gryba was who I was thinking of. Thanks.

I’m at the game. Quinnipiac doesn’t have a chance. Huge miscue by a defenseman leading to a Gopher goal. And they only have one shot on goal.

Leave a comment:

• defkit
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Who is BU’s all time leader in penalty minutes?
    Eric Gryba? Garrett Noonan?

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    Who is BU’s all time leader in penalty minutes?

Leave a comment:

• DNAEagle
    replied
    Doesn't even count as a SOG, it is like a lip out in golf. Yeah it was close but it didn't go in.

Leave a comment:

• BU93
    replied
    Originally posted by Jofa View Post
    Yes I never understood the post thing “robbed” or “bad luck”. They missed the target. If you shoot a basketball off the rim no one says bad luck
    It’s more of a feeling thing. It’s just about as close and good of a shot without going in. It only happens a few times a game usually and it makes that noise! In reality it is a missed shot (but so close!)

Leave a comment:

• Jofa
    replied
    Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
    . I wouldn’t calling hitting posts bad luck. BU also hit posts. Minnesota was stronger, faster and ready to go from the start. BU wasn’t. .
    Yes I never understood the post thing “robbed” or “bad luck”. They missed the target. If you shoot a basketball off the rim no one says bad luck

Leave a comment:

• defkit
    replied
    Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Ya I think the Hutson factor was the eye opener for me. Seemed like a total non factor out there so credit to Minnesota for sure on that front.
    I've honestly been surprised that it took until this game for a team to be able to neutralize him - and that of course speaks to how good he is. However, for all of his amazing skills, he isn't a great skater. He overcomes that with his stutter-steps and jukes. But if you don't fall for them, you can take away his toolbox pretty effectively.

On the play where he took the penalty, that is just a case of trying to do too much. His d-partner was wide open for an easy pass to get out of trouble, but he either failed to recognize that he was about to be double teamed, or he thought he could still beat it - bad decision.

Minnesota just had a combination of speed and skill that we had not seen all season and the team struggled to cope with it for most of the night.

Leave a comment:

• Lemonade
    replied
    Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

These aren't excuses, it's relevant context. At no point in anything I wrote did I say the injuries were "all that kept us from beating Minnesota." I said those injuries prevented us from being able to compete against the MN front line. We'd absolutely be an underdog to them with a more healthy roster, but not nearly as much as we were yesterday.

This team's advantage all year has been its depth at F and team defense. With the players who were injured or out, we lost some of that advantage.
    100% agree. Zabs, skoog, fensore and Weber banged up with McCarthy out really thinned out their depth and it showed. Other players had to play more minutes. Is Minnesota better yep. Could BU have given them a better game (it was 2-2 going into true 3rd) if they were healthier yep. Still a fantastic season for this team they just ran up against a train of a team when they were running on fumes.
    Last edited by Lemonade; 04-07-2023, 09:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lemonade
    replied
    This BU was banged up and that’s a fact. Minnesota played great but you can’t claim this was a fully healthy BU team as several key players were hurting. Minnesota looked great and that was partly because they had power plays and it’s easy to look great when you have one or two more skaters than the opponent. BU started too slow and was caught off guard. Hutson struggled and looked indecisive but the kid is just a freshman playing on a big stage. I wouldn’t calling hitting posts bad luck. BU also hit posts. Minnesota was stronger, faster and ready to go from the start. BU wasn’t. The story was penalties and the effort it takes to kill those off. It’s a losing recipe.

Leave a comment:

• ericredaxe
    replied

I am always curious how this goes. Like do all of these guys get scholarships in their additional year? Because that would impact incoming freshmen. Or do some of these guys who were on scholarship willingly pay for a year of school for their extra year? A lot more for a college coach to juggle these days and navigate the portal temptations etc.
    I would imagine that it could be any or all of the above and is always just a discussion that has to be had.

Leave a comment:

• brassbonanza
    replied
    Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post

Your obsession with making excuses is kinda weird. Healthy Skoog, McCarthy, and Webber can't skate with Minnesota. Gallagher can't. We saw from the beginning of the game that Hutson isn't yet good enough to skate with that team. I think in another year, he will be. Acting like a couple of injuries is all that kept us from beating Minnesota because we were tied 2-2 is ridiculous. We were never in that game. Minnesota was incredibly unlucky for two periods. It's okay to admit the team you like isn't quite there yet. Other than dumb penalties, no one is criticizing BU, their effort, or how they played, prepared, or were coached. In order to beat them last night, we would have needed Eichel, O'Regan, and Rodrigues, and the '09 D corps. Not McCarthy and Skoog.
    These aren't excuses, it's relevant context. At no point in anything I wrote did I say the injuries were "all that kept us from beating Minnesota." I said those injuries prevented us from being able to compete against the MN front line. We'd absolutely be an underdog to them with a more healthy roster, but not nearly as much as we were yesterday.

This team's advantage all year has been its depth at F and team defense. With the players who were injured or out, we lost some of that advantage.
    Last edited by brassbonanza; 04-07-2023, 07:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BU93
    replied
    Lane Hutson did seem like a non-factor most of the time, that was disappointing. Many players seemed like a non-factor though. It was a bad game at a bad time. Minnesota was firing on all cylinders. Commesso and Mr Post and Crossbar kept us in the game. That happens sometimes - better than being blown out of the building after 10 minutes. We also seemed to be playing in St Paul south - Minnesota really brought a VERY large contingent to Tampa. It was a game that if you won, you got through it. That’s how single elimination works. However it remains close, you take it and just try to win the thing. We had that opportunity, but the penalties at the end of the 2nd did us in last night. Unfortunate night. We’re better than we played for sure. Although I’m thankful we got there, I’m never happy that we didn’t win it. The program is moving in the right direction and I’m hopeful for a very competitive run over the next several years. Good recruiting class coming in. Would love to have a few of those seniors back for another year if possible to help keep the momentum going. Go BU!

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    Ya I think the Hutson factor was the eye opener for me. Seemed like a total non factor out there so credit to Minnesota for sure on that front.

Leave a comment:

• BU Fan 84
    replied
    Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    I could not disagree more with this. Fensore is nursing the leg injury he sustained against UVM and is clearly not at full strength. I'm told Webber has been nursing a nagging lower body injury for the better part of a month too from a blocked shot towards the end of the season. Of course, we're without Case.

Those three injuries alone prevented us from being able to compete against Minnesota's front line Fs. I'm not saying we'd have shut them down, but if you think the loss of Case and two other top D playing at 50-75% had no impact - especially on the increased load on Hutson and Gallagher, I don't know what to tell you.

We skated 4-4.5 D, two of which were healthy, against the #1 team in the country last night and were tied heading into the 3rd period.

This is before we consider Zabaneh's injury and Skoog being unable to contribute.

They just didn't have the horses and the guys who were out there could not handle the load by themselves. It was an extraordinary effort.
    Your obsession with making excuses is kinda weird. Healthy Skoog, McCarthy, and Webber can't skate with Minnesota. Gallagher can't. We saw from the beginning of the game that Hutson isn't yet good enough to skate with that team. I think in another year, he will be. Acting like a couple of injuries is all that kept us from beating Minnesota because we were tied 2-2 is ridiculous. We were never in that game. Minnesota was incredibly unlucky for two periods. It's okay to admit the team you like isn't quite there yet. Other than dumb penalties, no one is criticizing BU, their effort, or how they played, prepared, or were coached. In order to beat them last night, we would have needed Eichel, O'Regan, and Rodrigues, and the '09 D corps. Not McCarthy and Skoog.

Leave a comment:

• brassbonanza
    replied

I am always curious how this goes. Like do all of these guys get scholarships in their additional year? Because that would impact incoming freshmen. Or do some of these guys who were on scholarship willingly pay for a year of school for their extra year? A lot more for a college coach to juggle these days and navigate the portal temptations etc.
    I don't know, but it's intended to be an imperfect solution to the 2020-2021 season that can barely be considered a legitimate season - across all collegiate sports. It was handled at the time as it should have, but to dock those athletes a year of eligibility that year would've been worse than giving them the option to get that year back.

All Covid years will be exhausted after 24-25, so it'll be done then.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X