Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks CU13!

Comment

• Winchester is my choice, lot's of Ontario connections !
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• I’m with you, Shabby. Speaking of Winchester, wasn’t he the one who convinced the Spink twins to come to Colgate?

Additionally, he can pitch the idea that you can go from an undrafted kid to a career in the NHL like he did.

Comment

• https://voyageurprofile.wordpress.co...of-a-lifetime/

The above is a good read on Jesse Winchester.
          Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 05-13-2023, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marmot View Post
            I’m with you, Shabby. Speaking of Winchester, wasn’t he the one who convinced the Spink twins to come to Colgate?

Additionally, he can pitch the idea that you can go from an undrafted kid to a career in the NHL like he did.
            The Spinks, Baun, Borowkowski and it seemed like half the Cornwall Colts. But is he interested ? Hope they make a decision soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post

Hope they make a decision soon.
              Agreed. Can’t risk having more people leave.

Comment

• I’m wondering if Kyle Dubas, the now former GM of the Maple Leafs, is any relation to Walter Dubas who played for Colgate in the early 80s. Kyle has/had a grandfather named Walter so maybe there is a relation. Just curious.

Comment

• No info here on schedule nor new coach, just…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Dubas

Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 05-22-2023, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• No info here on new coach nor schedule, just…

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/....php?pid=19508

An article is the Sault paper in 1996 said that Tim Dubas was brother to Walt Dubas, Jr., who attended Colgate.

Comment

• Thanks Iowa. I saw the same Wikipedia link on Kyle Dubas. Maybe the Walt Dubas Jr you mentioned is Kyle’s father. Or uncle.

Comment

• He was a very good player !

Comment

• Hoping some news soon...IF Lang and Winchester are legitimate candidates they offer different, but positive, backgrounds to the program...Lang has simply done a great job at AIC, bringing a dead program to the top of Atlantic Hockey by recruiting (literally) all over the world...he operated with a budget and facilities that pale in comparison to The Gate...downside? maybe his age (c. 50)...Jesse has great connections in Ontario (yes, he helped bring the Spinks and others to Hamilton) and his NHL experience would be an asset in bringing quality kids to Colgate (and he's young...c. 40)...one would hope both would like the job...

Comment

• For the life of me, I don’t understand TheGreenCoat… here we are, late May, trying to forget that we don’t have a head coach (and at least one assistant coach), nor do we have an announced upcoming schedule, and all he keeps wanting to do is remind us of those facts. For gosh sakes, hockey season begins on October 1… we don’t need to make those decisions until Labor Day.
                            Forget all that, let’s keep discussing players that contributed to ‘Gate hockey back in the day. It’s more fun (and, for now, infinitely more rewarding).

Comment

• actually IBT I have spent many hours over the last month "recompiling" a history of Colgate men's hockey...the latest media guide included 25 to 30 mistakes that had to be corrected (small ones I'll admit)...many, e.g., will forget how great a player Steve Smith was for the maroon (1980-81 through 1983-84), or perhaps don't remember John Barnett (1972-73 through 1975-76) who toiled in obscurity for a very poor hockey program in the 1970s...BTW, from 1970-71 through Terry's second year (1978-79) our ECAC record was 51-131-1 (.281)...he arrived on campus weeks after Higgins bolted for Princeton after two years as head coach...Slater's first class (1978-79) included Fridgen, Lapensee, Renaud, Lemonde, Sterling, MacCreary, etc. By 1980-81 we were ranked in the top 10 in the country...

Comment

• Add on...from 1979-80 through 2005-06 Colgate Hockey compiled an overall record of 490-363-69 (.569); an ECAC mark of 309-227-45 (.571)...that's a strong (B+/A-) grade for almost three decades...but we should continue to remember the good players of the 70s, including, of course, Mike Milbury, Bill Davis, John Barnett (listed above), Dave MacKenzie (also a very good soccer player), Larry Gibson, Joey Cyr (part of our "Winnipeg Connection"...there was some talent in the 70s, but not nearly enough depth of talent (both the administration and our athletic department placed very little emphasis on men's hockey in the 70s)...e.g., in Brad Houston's first two games as coach we traveled to play St. Louis of the young CCHA...the Billikens were good, perhaps a top 10 team, but we were waxed 14-2 & 11-3...the best news? Higgins bolting to Princeton and Terry arriving in the spring of 1978...

Comment

Working...
                                X