This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Magoo View Post
    I didn’t have any problems with ESPN+ tonight Iowa. Sorry to hear that you did.
    Final was 4-3 Colgate with Alex Young winning it in OT. Frustrating weekend. We came within inches of getting 6 points but only get 3. But for a while it looked like we were going to get zero points tonight. So let’s take the 3 points and hopefully figure out how to close games out in regulation.
    I don't like the fact that you only get two points for an OT win.
    Last edited by sshablak; 01-30-2023, 09:37 AM.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• If the winning team were to get 3 points for an OT win then the losing team would get 0 points. Assuming a max of 3 points awarded per game.

Comment

• The problem with giving an overtime winner 3 points IMO is the structure of the overtime itself...3 X 3 hockey is a far cry from the normal game and teams like Harvard (and to some extent even Colgate) have an advantage from a skill standpoint in overtime...4 X 4 might be better, but then you'd end up with fewer overtime decisions...the current system isn't perfect, but I think an equitable distribution of desserts...I believe that if we had not given up the two EAGs in the weekend we'd be in second place right now...two of our best defensive players were both -3 against Dartmouth...and I will say the Big Green have lost a lot of close games this year...

Comment

• Following up from above...if you count Dartmouth's 4-2 loss to Princeton as a one-goal loss due to an empty net goal they have lost TEN games (out of 17 losses) by one goal...

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post
            I don't like the fact that you only get two points for an OT win.
            But the OT loser gets 1 point now. Previously you got zero points if you lost in OT.

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
            The problem with giving an overtime winner 3 points IMO is the structure of the overtime itself...3 X 3 hockey is a far cry from the normal game and teams like Harvard (and to some extent even Colgate) have an advantage from a skill standpoint in overtime...
            Similarly, the NHL uses regulation wins as its first tiebreaker for this very reason. 3x3 gives you more opportunities to score goals than 5x5. But in the 2015-16 season, the first season the NHL used 3x3 OT, they included overtime wins in the first tiebreaker. The Detroit Red Wings and Boston Bruins were tied in points. The Bruins won the head to head with the Red Wings. The Bruins had more total wins. The Bruins had more regulation wins. But Detroit had more "regulation and overtime wins combined" than the Bruins. The Red Wings had 9 OT wins that season and that alone gave them a tiebreak over the Bruins for a final playoff spot. I'm not bitter about it though because the Bruins collapsed at the end of that season, finishing 3-8-1 and didn't deserve to be in the playoffs.
            Colgate '09

Comment

• Don't look now....we garnered a vote in the USCHO poll this week. Dartmouth also lost to Cornell 3-2 last weekend. They aren't a bad team as their record shows, just a little short in talent, mostly close games.

Comment

• We have five of the next six games home, then away at Yale and Brown to end the regular season. Just take care of business at home and we'll be looking at a first round bye, then best two of three at home. Go Raiders !!

Comment

• Rain...check out your pickem.

Comment

• We’ll see how good my math is today…

Class of 1965 Arena - Colgate win-loss-tie record
                    (year, year record, cumulative record)…

2016-17, 6-7-3, 6-7-3
                    2017-18, 11-6-2, 17-13-5
                    2018-19, 6-10-1, 23-24-6
                    2019-20, 5-6-6, 28-29-12
                    2020-21, 1-7-3, 29-36-15
                    2021-22, 10-8-1, 39-44-16
                    2022-23, 7-3-2, 46-47-18

Thus, if we beat Union on Friday, we are back to .500 hockey at home. It has been awhile.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                      2020-21, 1-7-3, 29-36-15
                      I know 2020-21 was an "asterisk" season but only 1 home win? OUCH.
                      Colgate '09

Comment

• Rainman, I double-checked… 4-3 win against Saint Lawrence. Crazy!

Comment

• As we turn the page from January to February, it is time for another PairWise Ranking (PWR) of the 12 ECAC Hockey programs within 62 NCAA MIH, with all aiming for the 16-team tourney (culminating in the 4-team Frozen Four in Tampa, Fla.)...

2-Quinnipiac, 8-Harvard, 11-Cornell,

28-Colgate, 35-Saint Lawrence, 37-Princeton, 37-Clarkson, 40-Brown, 44-Union, 50-RPI, 56-Dartmouth, 60-Yale.

As for ECAC Hockey itself, with all aiming for the 4-team tourney finals in Lake Placid, N.Y...

Quinnipiac-36 points, Harvard-34, Cornell-31, Colgate-28,

Saint Lawrence-24, Princeton-20, Clarkson-18, Brown-16, Union-14, RPI-14, Dartmouth-13, Yale-10.
                          Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 02-02-2023, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• I’m a little worried about St Lawrence, especially with them sweeping their home & home with Clarkson last weekend.

Comment

• I'm more worried about Clarkson, we haven't beaten them at home since 2017. We only beat Onion 2-1 away, need to pay back RPI for that lousy loss.

Comment

• 13 minutes ‘til pick-drop and 36 fans are seated in the Class of 1965 Arena tonight. I left at 4:30 p.m. from Owego, N.Y., not realizing that I would face blowing snow/white-outs to South Otselic (on Hwy. 26) and a good old-fashioned snowstorm from there to Hamilton. Very few cars in the parking lot. Three people in the Sullivan Suite. Crazy!

Carter Gylander is in goal for Colgate tonight.
                                Connor Murphy is in goal for Union College.

Union penalty. Killed. No real chances.
                                Another Union penalty. Killed again.

Beautifully set-up Union goal.

Colgate 10, Union 6, SOG after one.
                                Union 1, Colgate 0, score after one.

Union goalie has been the difference so far.
                                And they seem to be clearing the opposition from in front the net better than we are tonight.

Colgate penalty. Killed.
                                Crowd was late arriving, but no students of which to speak (and no pep band).

I am not even sure what I just saw.
                                Face-off in Union end with 2.8 seconds left in the second period. Apparently we pulled Gylander. Hail-Mary lob by Union… goal.

Colgate 16, Union 9, SOG after two. That’s 25 total.
                                Union 2, Colgate 0, score after two.

Union penalty. 3 seconds left. Another penalty, but under review… 5 minutes? No penalty. Original penalty killed.

Colgate frustrated. Play is getting chippy with six minutes left.

Colton Young scored from Alex Young.

Another ENG for Union with one minute left.

Colgate 30, Union 14, final SOG.
                                Union 3, Colgate 1, final score.

Not our best team effort.
                                Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 02-03-2023, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X