Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will walk down there this afternoon and check it out.
    I asked two staff people who knew nothing about any renovation and then looked at the wall myself. I don’t honestly know what it looked like previously, but it looks normal to me.
    Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 12-31-2022, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Carter Gylander led Colgate out onto the ice for this afternoon’s pre-game warmup. Connor Androlewicz is in goal for Maine. He played last night’s third period.

First five minutes has just been up-and-back hockey. Neither team with a real advantage.
      First PP opportunity for ‘Gate. Maine killed it.

These boys are gonna be tired. Maine is being very aggressive (and their goalie has made some outstanding saves).

Colgate penalty. Colgate killed it.
      Second Maine penalty. They killed it.

Colgate 12, Maine 8, SOG after one.
      Colgate 0, Maine 0, score after one.

Another very good period of hard-nosed college hockey.

Third Maine penalty. And ‘Gate takes second penalty. Maine’s Didrik Henbrant scored while both were in the box.

Arnaud Vachon helped off the ice after collision with Maine player and boards.

Ross Mitton takes a penalty. Video review for 2 or 5 minutes. Officially two minutes for elbowing. Twice Colgate had short-handed breakaways and shut down both times. But Maine takes slashing penalty.

Colgate had three golden opportunities and failed to finish each of them. Then Alex Young blisters one past their goalie (from Colton Young and Nick Anderson).

Don Vaughan not happy with the officials. Icing called against Colgate with one minute left in the second period. Colgate time-out.

Maine 16, Colgate 15, SOG after two.
      Colgate 2, Maine 1, score after two.

Like the Harvard game, no matter who wins this one, it has been an excellent hockey game.

Another Maine penalty. Maine killled it.

Maine 25, Colgate 18, SOG after regulation.
      Colgate 1. Maine 1, score after regulation.

We are going to 3-on-3 OT.

Maine’s Luke Antonacci scored. Colgate challenging for goalie interference. No goal.

Maine 28, Colgate 18, SOG.
      Colgate 1, Maine 1, score.

Penalty shots coming. I am outta here.
      Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 12-31-2022, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Who won the shootout ?
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• Shabby, like the NCAA, quirky IBT doesn’t recognize shootouts (so I leave the building before they start). But, just got home from 90-minute, not-fun foggy drive southbound and saw that Colgate won the shootout, 3-1.

While the Black Bears were well-repped by their fans both nights in Hamilton, I found them to be only slightly less whiny than Big Red Bear fans. Tonight they whined about the OT goalie interference decision (umm… for the refs to overturn an on-ice goal call, the interference was blatant). And they kept referring to the Swede as their ‘starting goalie.’ Umm… he isn’t their starting goalie as he never started a game in Hamilton. Androlewicz is their (most recent) starting goalie and Mucitelli is their next (most recent) starting goalie. Now, I will grant you that Ostman may be their fave goalie. he he he. I hope we do venture northeast next year for a pair of non-conference contests in Orono (or Orono and Portland). If so, I will be there.

But, bottom line is that tonight’s game was a really good one. Both goalies made exceptional saves, although neither faced a ton of quality shots due to their team’s defenses, respectively, doing a great job. The Young brothers are just fun to watch. We are lucky to have them, I think.
          Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 12-31-2022, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• Isn’t it pointless to have shootouts in non conference games? Unless it has some bearing on the pairwise maybe? The game gets recorded as a tie.

Comment

• Magoo, I think it is pointless to have shootouts anytime. Hockey is a team sport, not a one-on-one skills competition. I know I am old-fashioned, but when the organist in the corner stops playing after overtime, the game is over… even if it means kissing your sister (well, there is my Arkansas heritage rearing it’s ugly head again).

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                Who won the shootout ?
                Colgate won the shootout, 3-1. But how do you win a shootout by 2 goals? I’m guessing there was perhaps a 3-round minimum and Colgate scored on all of their attempts?

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                Isn’t it pointless to have shootouts in non conference games? Unless it has some bearing on the pairwise maybe? The game gets recorded as a tie.
                In my opinion, yes, it is pointless to have shootouts in non-conference games. Yesterday’s game is considered a tie for Pairwise purposes.

I watched Friday’s game on ESPN+ and was really impressed with what I saw. It was my first time watching this season’s team. We have definitely built momentum from the Harvard win. Happy New Year!
                Colgate '09

Comment

• [QUOTE=Rainman;n3777873]

Colgate won the shootout, 3-1. But how do you win a shootout by 2 goals? I’m guessing there was perhaps a 3-round minimum and Colgate scored on all of their attempts?

Correct.

Comment

• I’m with you on shootouts Iowa. They should just keep playing 3 on 3 - someone will eventually score and it shouldn’t take all night.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Runsub5;n3777876]
                      Originally posted by Rainman View Post

Correct.
                      Guessing it was a minimum of three rounds. Colgate shot first and after two rounds it was Colgate 2-1. Colgate scores third round making it 3-1, hence Maine couldn't catch up, over 3-1.

Comment

• I took my wife out to dinner so I only saw until it was tied 1-1. Box score says we only had three shots in second, three shots in third, and none in OT. Were we getting outplayed after we tied the game ?

Comment

• Only 3 ECAC schools in the Top 31 this week. Even AIC has 2 votes.

Reminds me of Patriot League football.
                          C O L G A T E
                          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                          1990 NCAA FINALS
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

• Ah Yes, the Pairwise...as you know it has been tweaked several times over the past 10 to 15 years. And, yes, you can all look at the rather complicated parameters that comprise a Pairwise ranking, but I have one question regarding the methodology. Assume two teams play on neutral ice with no overtime necessary. The winning team receives 1.0 points, the losing team, obviously, negative 1.0 points. The same two teams play at Team A's rink and Team A wins. Currently, and I think this is correct, the home team receives 0.8 points, the losing teams a negative 0.8 points. Assume Team B wins (on the road). They receive 1.2 points and Team A loses 1.2 points. This implies - or at least it implies to me - that in the aggregate the home team has a 60% chance of winning, hence the ratio of 1.2 to 0.8 (60/40). However, historically college hockey teams have won 55% of their home contests. Shouldn't the ratio really be 1.1 points for a road winner and only 0.9 points for a home winner (a 55/45 ratio and in line with the data). In addition, the real competition in the Pairwise System seems to be in those teams ranked between, say, 16th and 45th place. MIH is playing better, granted, but our o-o-c record of 3-7-2 against (in the aggregate) average opponents has really hurt our position. I would guess that if MIH had simply recorded a 5-5-2 o-o-c mark (with a quality road win against Merrimack) we would be somewhere around 25th. Our mark of 9-9-2 becomes 11-7-2 (.600) and, even with a Strength of Schedule that is not real high, The Gate would be 12 to 15 spots higher...comments are welcome...

Comment

• Greencoat,
                              I think we should have split with N Mich, swept Vermont, and split with Niagara. Then we would be 13-6-1 and maybe be in the low 20s in the pairwise.

Comment

• Magoo, I think you're spot on...

Comment

Working...
                                X